Cozumel or Roatan for More Active Excursion

We are going on a cruise in about a month to both Cozumel & Roatan. Which port is better to just relax on the beach and possibly snorkel? Which one is better to do an activity (sight seeing or adventure)? We are already going to the ruins in Belize on the same trip.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Kim

We did this same cruise three years ago. I would suggest taking the beach day at Cozumel. We also did the ruins tour at Belize. Our group thought going in that Belize would be our favorite stop. That ended up being Roatan. I booked a private tour with Ron Rivers Roatan Adventure tours. We had Ron and he was awesome. I picked the activities and he made them all happen. We did a zip line and the Mangrove boat tour among other things. If you can book and get Ron I would highly recommend him. Here is my Tripadvisor review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303872-d2467773-r313806966-Roatan_Adventure_Tours-Coxen_Hole_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html#review313806966

We just returned from Western Caribbean cruise and found that Tabyana beach was beautiful but packed. Some fellow cruisers said they loved West Bay at Roatan -quiet and gorgeous. We highly recommend Gumbalimba preserve. It was a forty minute air conditioned bus ride, but we got to see the island itself that way. The preserve was gorgeous and we got to be up close with cappuchin monkeys and exotic birds. We would’ve been happy to stay on the beach and kayak right there at the preserve.

The water in Cozumel is like nothing I’ve ever seen (and I’m from Florida and have frequented the keys and gulf coast). I’ve heard awesome things about Mr. Sanchos beach resort in Cozumel. We did the ATV ride to the Jade Caverns and enjoyed that-but it didn’t leave time for the beach. Harvest Caye, Belize probably had the largest beach area with concessions. We also parasailed there.

We always do nachi Cocum beach club in Cozumel. All inclusive and only 100 people per day. It’s wonderful!! Have used Victor Bodden several times in Roatan and he has created a day around what we want to do. Very well priced!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a custom tour with Rony's Tours in Roatan- and part of that day was on the beach (West Bay). Cozumel we decided on a Cooking School and had a fabulous time (and the meal was amazing)- held at a restaurant called Kondesa. As we're seasoned cruisers, we tend to build our own excursions by leveraging TripAdvisor reviews; gives us alot of freedom and I'm VERY good about getting us back to port in plenty of time :):)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

The beach in Roatan was nice, although alot of people asking you to buy stuff- they were not rude or pushy tho.

We were on the Norwegian Getaway in the Haven and it was amazing.

I've included all details, pricing and pictures at https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/ Enjoy!

I avtually preferred snorkeling in Roatan. We did Little French Key, which was heaven on earth to us. Made us choose the same itinerary this summer, solely to return to LFK. I found the shoreline & waters both to be rough in Cozumel. I panicked a few times while snorkeling with my guide. I think I'd rather just relax & swim/play OR if you're into it, doing something that's totally Cozumel (ruins & such). But of you're doing that in Belize.... I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We did snorkeling in Cozumel at Money Bar Beach & Resort. Free snorkeling at an amazing reef other people were paying $60/head to be dropped off by boats; right next to us, and we spent $0! Money Bar Beach also has AMAZING food with huge portions and very cheap. Its a hidden gem and not widely advertised so its not crowded or overran by tourists. SO relaxing. Only a $10, 3-5 minute taxi ride from the port. Not a sand beach like you can find in Progreso or other places in the Gulf of Mexico, this is a Snorkeling/reef area, so rocky coastlines with tons of reefs and sea life.

We are going on a cruise in about a month to both Cozumel & Roatan. Which port is better to just relax on the beach and possibly snorkel? Which one is better to do an activity (sight seeing or adventure)? We are already going to the ruins in Belize on the same trip.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Kim

Bodden Tours has a great ziplining tour in Roatan

• 2 weeks later...

We usually do a lot of shopping in Cozumel put we have also made chocolate or went to the beach. At Roatan I’d recommend a tour from Victor Bodden. We always enjoy getting pictures with his Monkeys and Birds

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Snorkeling is better in Roatan than Cozumel.

In Roatan, we used Roatan Ocean Adventures

We arranged to be picked up & did two snorkel spots plus the Daniel sloths (which is literally right next to their place where we snorkeled)

f5accd46f63ee346ccd1e59e1a5ed966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk