Dinner and Tango show?

hmcrn

We will be staying in the Recoleta district pre-cruise. We want to go to a classic dinner/Tango show. Which one would be the best food and professional show? Are they all scheduled late in the evening?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

We were recently in Buenos Aires and used this company. https://www.bsas4u.com/en/tango-shows.html

We were picked up at the cruise port and returned there.

We had heard the dinners were not that great so we just booked the show which came with drinks. We went to the Esquina Carlos Gardel which was traditional and quite good. Generally dinner is late in Argentina, usually 9.00 pm or later.

We are not interested in a theatrical production show and would prefer a more authentic/less touristy venue. Many years ago I was taken to a somewhat seedy and smokey bar with a single couple as the entertainers. It was great.

Also looking for an earlier show time than 10 pm.

Any recommendations?

Really would like a tip on an appropriate milonga.

My wife and I also have little interest in seeing a tango production show although we saw two of them. (The first was a little show at the Cafe Tortoni.) We did find a travel company that provided two professional tango dancers to take us to a milonga. And that was extremely cool! But you won't authentic find one before 10:00 PM. We were picked at our hotel after 11:00 PM. We got to the milonga around midnight. It was pretty quiet then But by 1:00 AM things started picking up quite a bit. By two when we left it was quite active. When we left, people where still coming in. I think you really need to have a guide if you are not familiar with the area. The impression I got is that milonga may move to different places on different nights. So you need someone who knows where to go. The tour we got was worth every penny and then some.

• 3 weeks later...
We are not interested in a theatrical production show and would prefer a more authentic/less touristy venue. Many years ago I was taken to a somewhat seedy and smokey bar with a single couple as the entertainers. It was great.

Any recommendations?

We visited two authentic milongas - details (including company used):

https://baskeytravels.com/embarkation-buenos-aires-2/

Heather

Any recommendations?

We just used the company below in February. The young woman who took us to two milongas was great - very passionate about tango. She gave us a lot of insight into the polical/historical context of it all too. We went to one kind of cutting edge milonga and then to a very classic one. The dancing is completely different than a polished tango show. I'm glad we went to the milongas.

https://tangotrips.com/#intro

However, not much happens before 10:00. At the second milonga, the classic one, the band started setting up just after midnight and she said we would have to stay until 2:00 a.m. if we wanted to hear them play! It is a lifestyle choice.

We just used the company below in February. The young woman who took us to two milongas was great - very passionate about tango. She gave us a lot of insight into the polical/historical context of it all too. We went to one kind of cutting edge milonga and then to a very classic one. The dancing is completely different than a polished tango show. I'm glad we went to the milongas.

https://tangotrips.com/#intro

However, not much happens before 10:00. At the second milonga, the classic one, the band started setting up just after midnight and she said we would have to stay until 2:00 a.m. if we wanted to hear them play! It is a lifestyle choice.

We used this same company in December 2017. We had two guides with us (as we were a group of 8 from the Cruise Critic Roll Call). Great time! learned so much and had so much fun

Heather

Are there any early evening tango shows anyone has gone to in Buenos Aires? Do the Princess ships have these dancers come onboard when you have an overnight in port?

I just did a 30-day Princess Buenos Aires to Los Angeles - there were two tango dancers on board (until San Antonio, Chile) who performed throughout the cruise in the Atrium. They were very good and also gave tango lessons.

I believe Princess also had an excursion on the first day in Buenos Aires that included an afternoon/lunch tango show.

• 5 months later...

Still looking for something other than a Vegas style stage show.

Some smaller venues and/or bars include:

Bar Sur(Reviews are both love it or hate it)

La Cumparsita Tango Bar

Maldita Milonga

El Viejo Almacen

El Querandi

Alijibe Tango

Anyone with first hand knowledge - please comment.