Air Canada BUS class

LHT28

Does anyone have a experience or comments on the BUS class lay flat seats on their 787-9

it is \ /\ / configuration

international flight

just wondering if they have a curtain or some partition to separate people ?

How are the beds for comfort ?

I know they are not hotel type beds but could you get a bit of sleep

I have never had the lay flat seats before

the ones on KLM were angled & I kept sliding down

thanks

My husband and I had the middle seats in the business cabin last year. We both found the seats/beds to be very comfortable. We also found the entertainment options to be better than most airlines. We would definitely fly the Air Canada 787 again, even if it meant going a little out of our way to do so.

Does anyone have a experience or comments on the BUS class lay flat seats on their 787-9

it is \ /\ / configuration

international flight

just wondering if they have a curtain or some partition to separate people ?

How are the beds for comfort ?

I know they are not hotel type beds but could you get a bit of sleep

I have never had the lay flat seats before

the ones on KLM were angled & I kept sliding down

thanks

We flew business class from Vancouver to Delhi last Nov on the 787-9. Wonderful experience. Yes, there was a curtain. Our flight attendants were very helpful and pleasant. The menu had some Indian choices that were excellent. And the flat seats were very comfortable. Ours was a day flight (13 hrs) but we both got in a really solid nap. Of course the nice little lunchtime cocktail helped a bit ;)

There is a curtain between the business class cabin and the economy cabin.

Each seat has a half height wall (cubicle type layout). Quite private. They are very nice seats.

The layout is \ /\ / (you can see out the window) on the 787/777 and the older 767/A330 have an older generation that point in.

If you google for photos you can a feeling for how they look. The black seats with white sidewalls are the new ones found on the 787/777. The blue/white ones are the older generation.

The seats are motorized and when you get them in the correct position it is flat bad like surface. The amenity kit includes eye masks and after dinner service on night flights they turn down the lights to help with sleeping. All the AC wide body aircraft have they colored LED lights that adjust colour and intensity through the flight to reduce jet lag.

Some people can sleep in a different environment like this well others not so much. No problem with sliding down. I am able to get a bit of sleep in them.

One of the best international business class flights I've ever been on. Hope you have flight attendant Candace D. on your flight. Don't forget you have access to the Maple Leaf Clubs!

I agree - one of the best business class areas. I fly quite a bit, some premium economy and some business. We flew AC from Toronto to Dubai in business and it was one of the best flights ever. Very comfortable seats and good service. Have some other big trips coming up and we are looking at the AC flights.

One of the best international business class flights I've ever been on. Hope you have flight attendant Candace D. on your flight. Don't forget you have access to the Maple Leaf Clubs!

yes we know about the lounge thanks

yes we know about the lounge thanks

Do you know about the private restaurant....

Air Canada Signature Suite. (You only have access on a paid International Business Class journey, no access on business class purchased with points etc). Sit-down restaurant layout with table service and premium drinks.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

This is a separate lounge from the Maple Leaf lounge.

We had paid Business Class tickets last summer and couldn’t get into the Signature Suite. Seems we had purchased our tickets during a special sale Air Canada was running and our ticket Class wouldn’t allow us in. The regular Maple Leaf Club in Toronto is nothing special, but better than waiting 4 hours in the regular concourse. Better than Swiss Air’s Lounges but not as nice, or with the food quality, of UA’s new Polaris Clubs or AA’s refurbished Admiral Clubs.

Lyn;

Both of our flights showed 787-900 service. First YYC-COP, then LHR-YYC. Both ended up being 777-200s. I asked the attendant why wasn’t the plane a 787, and she replied “we always fly a 777 on these routes!”. So unless someone tells you, that has recently flown the exact flight, it’s a 787-9, I wouldn’t put much trust in Air Canada. They do however have the same 1-2-1 seating in BC on the 777 as on the 787. Just not as quiet or with the higher humidity for comfort.

Do you know about the private restaurant....

Air Canada Signature Suite. (You only have access on a paid International Business Class journey, no access on business class purchased with points etc). Sit-down restaurant layout with table service and premium drinks.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

This is a separate lounge from the Maple Leaf lounge.

Thanks EM

That is new to me

we have only done trans border BUS class

The info I saw was for level 3 Node F lounge

will check this one out as we will go early to YYZ to avoid rush hour traffic :halo:

Thanks

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We had paid Business Class tickets last summer and couldn’t get into the Signature Suite. Seems we had purchased our tickets during a special sale Air Canada was running and our ticket Class wouldn’t allow us in. The regular Maple Leaf Club in Toronto is nothing special, but better than waiting 4 hours in the regular concourse. Better than Swiss Air’s Lounges but not as nice, or with the food quality, of UA’s new Polaris Clubs or AA’s refurbished Admiral Clubs.

Lyn;

Both of our flights showed 787-900 service. First YYC-COP, then LHR-YYC. Both ended up being 777-200s. I asked the attendant why wasn’t the plane a 787, and she replied “we always fly a 777 on these routes!”. So unless someone tells you, that has recently flown the exact flight, it’s a 787-9, I wouldn’t put much trust in Air Canada. They do however have the same 1-2-1 seating in BC on the 777 as on the 787. Just not as quiet or with the higher humidity for comfort.

I will have to check the class of ticket as we did book a non refundable one so maybe one of those no go ones :(

Oh well the regular lounge will be fine

Thanks for the heads up

Our flight is showing 787 metal fingers crossed they do not change it in July

The ML lounge for transborder was better than the KLM international flight

Last time we flew AA to MIA no access to a lounge so AC works for us

Edited by LHT28

Lyn;

The suite lounge only opened in November.

• 3 months later...

update

just back from trip

The lay flat seats were amazing

I got several hours of good sleep on the outbound flight

we left late 9:30pm so by the time we had a light snack I was ready to sleep

They woke us about 90 mins before landing for breakfast

Coming home delayed 2hrs so it was mid day when we left

I did manage to get a few hours sleep the seats are comfy & the duvet/cover is just warm enough

The food was fairly good for airline food

the only complaint I have is in the middle 2 pods there is a partition

it does not lower so you can chat to your travel companion (if with one)

OK if you are alone no need to make conversation with a stranger ;)

DH would have to stand up & lean over the partition to talk to me

The SS lounge was very nice though it felt smaller than the Maple Leaf lounge & seemed a bit busier so not as relaxing

JMO of course

Overall the experience was good

Lyn

update

just back from trip

The lay flat seats were amazing

I got several hours of good sleep on the outbound flight

we left late 9:30pm so by the time we had a light snack I was ready to sleep

They woke us about 90 mins before landing for breakfast

Coming home delayed 2hrs so it was mid day when we left

I did manage to get a few hours sleep the seats are comfy & the duvet/cover is just warm enough

The food was fairly good for airline food

the only complaint I have is in the middle 2 pods there is a partition

it does not lower so you can chat to your travel companion (if with one)

OK if you are alone no need to make conversation with a stranger ;)

DH would have to stand up & lean over the partition to talk to me

The SS lounge was very nice though it felt smaller than the Maple Leaf lounge & seemed a bit busier so not as relaxing

JMO of course

Overall the experience was good

Lyn

That partition that doesn't lower is not great...seems like airlines (design) always assume they need to cater to single business traveler's and not to two people traveling together.:(

That partition that doesn't lower is not great...seems like airlines (design) always assume they need to cater to single business traveler's and not to two people traveling together.

Perhaps because the primary purchasers of business class tickets are.....drum roll please....single business travelers. Couples are a small fraction of those flying in biz.

Primary characteristics that business travelers want in business class seating:

Lie flat seating

Direct aisle access

Privacy

If one REALLY needs to have that interaction in flight, don't buy tickets where the seating is designed for privacy. Look for older business class layouts. Or if one absolutely needs to look, talk and touch their traveling companion, there's always good old coach.

Perhaps because the primary purchasers of business class tickets are.....drum roll please....single business travelers. Couples are a small fraction of those flying in biz.

Lie flat seating

Direct aisle access

Privacy

If one REALLY needs to have that interaction in flight, don't buy tickets where the seating is designed for privacy. Look for older business class layouts. Or if one absolutely needs to look, talk and touch their traveling companion, there's always good old coach.

I don't "REALLY" need to look or touch my traveling partner (DH) but it is nice to be able to talk with him. I always look at the kind of seating that I book but then changes happen that are beyond my control...don't they !

If I prefer to fly business/first that's my business and I shouldn't have to book "good old coach".

If I prefer to fly business/first that's my business and I shouldn't have to book "good old coach".
Then look for configurations and seat types which allow you to do that. You may have to book another airline, and you may have to pay more - but then at least you know what your choices are.

If you look at frequent flyer websites where many members are flying every week - sometimes flying long-haul every week - privacy is one of the top qualities they look for in a seat. The contrary wishes of an occasional leisure passenger aren't going to count very highly when an airline picks a seat design.

That partition that doesn't lower is not great...seems like airlines (design) always assume they need to cater to single business traveler's and not to two people traveling together.:(

Air Canada a few years ago purchase 4 new Boeing 777-300 that were originally planned for a different airline. They were too far along in the design/manufacture process to make major changes. These birds had a business seat setup similar to Swiss Airlines where you could talk to your neighbor. They were very unpopular with many of the frequent flyers and Air Canada quickly redid the business cabin to have the pods you see now.

Lie flat seating

Direct aisle access

Privacy

I am not a business traveler, but as a leisure traveler who books Business Class, I would add three other characteristics in addition to the above three (with which I agree): more personal space than in economy, more personal service, and better cuisine.

Then look for configurations and seat types which allow you to do that. You may have to book another airline, and you may have to pay more - but then at least you know what your choices are.

If you look at frequent flyer websites where many members are flying every week - sometimes flying long-haul every week - privacy is one of the top qualities they look for in a seat. The contrary wishes of an occasional leisure passenger aren't going to count very highly when an airline picks a seat design.

As I posted above I do look at and take into consideration the seat types....but often the changes made by the airlines with equipment several times before my flight date make it a moot point.

So sorry some of you frequent solo business flyers can't understand the concept of flying with someone you might actually want to talk with.

Of course I'm still going to book business/first class but that doesn't mean I can't have a personal opinion about the seating.

But thanks to all of you solo flyers for keeping the airlines in business so us pleasure flyers have transportation.

So sorry some of you frequent solo business flyers can't understand the concept of flying with someone you might actually want to talk with.

Of course I'm still going to book business/first class but that doesn't mean I can't have a personal opinion about the seating.

But thanks to all of you solo flyers for keeping the airlines in business so us pleasure flyers have transportation.

I don't fly for business. And I'm usually flying with someone else. But I do have a reasonably healthy appreciation for why things are the way that they are, rather than complaining that things aren't arranged to suit bargain basement cheap fare hunters like me.

I looked back at what you didn't like: a partition that did not lower. It made me chuckle. Most of my flying is on BA. And one of the frequently repeated complaints about BA's long-haul business class is ... the partition that does lower.

I don't fly for business. And I'm usually flying with someone else. But I do have a reasonably healthy appreciation for why things are the way that they are, rather than complaining that things aren't arranged to suit bargain basement cheap fare hunters like me.

I looked back at what you didn't like: a partition that did not lower. It made me chuckle. Most of my flying is on BA. And one of the frequently repeated complaints about BA's long-haul business class is ... the partition that does lower.

We also travel "together'.

But what is the problem with having a functional partition (meaning, when "up", it does provide privacy) that can be lowered.

Are the "non-companions" really lowering those partitions so frequently as to annoy the other person?

:confused:

GC

But what is the problem with having a functional partition (meaning, when "up", it does provide privacy) that can be lowered.

Are the "non-companions" really lowering those partitions so frequently as to annoy the other person?

In a word - Yes.

Other considerations:

Some designs of herringbone seating don't lend themselves to interaction at all - bodies angled in opposite directions away from each other. Even with a lowered partition, it would be ungainly. The DL 777 is an example.

In addition, movable partitions cost more upfront. Plus, as a moving part, they are subject to maintenance costs to keep them operational.