Where To Stay in Santiago and Buenos Aries?

Len3

We have never been to South America and need some help on pre and post cruise hotels in Santiago and Buenos Aries. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

A lot (in terms of rate) depends on when you are going. I wrote reviews on Trip Advisor for the Hotel Wilton ($75US/night) in Buenos Aires and the Hotel Orly ($110US/night) in Santiago. I would recommend both unless you are looking for 5 star fancy.

A lot (in terms of rate) depends on when you are going. I wrote reviews on Trip Advisor for the Hotel Wilton ($75US/night) in Buenos Aires and the Hotel Orly ($110US/night) in Santiago. I would recommend both unless you are looking for 5 star fancy.

Sounds reasonable, I'll check them out right now. Thanks for the info.

While we didn't get to stay in Valparaiso or Santiago, we got to sample two different hotels in Buenos Aires. We stayed one night at the Hotel Reino del Plata, one block off the Plaza del Mayo and another five nights at a B&B in San Telmo called Rick's Place. They were both excellent choices -- clean and well kept--but neither is a luxury hotel. Both are a quick cab ride to or from the port. There are reviews for both on Trip Advisor.

For Reino del Plata, use kayak dot com to find out who is offering the best rate and book through the online booking agency of your choice. Booking directly with the hotel may come up with no availability when there is actually space available.

I loved my stay at the "Carrera" in Sanitago. It is not only a very good hotel but right in the historic centre on the same square as the presedential palace.

Thus in my opinion it is the perfect place for people who like old style grand hotels and who like to walk around in the city to see museums, churches etc.

Hello,

Our stay at the Hilton Buenos Aires was one of the very best that we have experienced in many years of traveling. This hotel really has it all. But it isn't inexpensive...we used some Hilton Honors points for our stay.

In particular, it is in a safe neighborhood. There are some nice restaurants within walking distance. You can walk to several historic sites in BA from the hotel, and the cab ride to the cruise terminal is less than $10...probably less. There is a lovely swimming pool with some great views of BA and the river Plate. But most of all the desk staff was truly first rate with outstanding English language skills...the two lead bell captains are from Australia and Scotland.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

• 8 years later...
We booked hotels with Princess transfers.

Sheraton Hotel and Convention Centre in Santiago and The Brick Hotel in Buenos Aires. Not sure of the actual costs as part of a package. Both were fine. Buffet breakfast was included.

In Santiago, were you able to walk to most sites or did you use public transit, taxis etc?

Thanks for the reply

dog:)

We were extremely happy with the Melia. Buenos Aires, very comfy beds and excellent service. Bellboys are able to arrange for cabs to anywhere in the city and a couple of very good restaurants within walking distance. Their breakfast was extensive with great variety.

RE Santiago last year we stayed at the Hotel Orly, an older good hotel, with an excellent included breakfast, but I thought Hotel Sanfrancisco was in an ideal location and a great hotel for walking around /sightseeing in the city.

We were extremely happy with the Melia. Buenos Aires, very comfy beds and excellent service. Bellboys are able to arrange for cabs to anywhere in the city and a couple of very good restaurants within walking distance. Their breakfast was extensive with great variety.

RE Santiago last year we stayed at the Hotel Orly, an older good hotel, with an excellent included breakfast, but I thought Hotel Sanfrancisco was in an ideal location and a great hotel for walking around /sightseeing in the city.

I've seen Hotel Plaza San Francisco, the Sheraton, Hotel Orly and the Marriott mentioned on here and was wondering which neighbourhood is most desirable for walking to tourist sites.

Thanks for your reply.

In Santiago, were you able to walk to most sites or did you use public transit, taxis etc?

Thanks for the reply

We took the Hop on/ hop off bus which stopped outside our hotel. Stayed on for full circuit . Pope arrived same day as us, so lucky to squash it in. Following day, bus tour not operating, crowds about as National holiday. Princess still had excursion running but those using it said many streets closed. We did a river walk to shopping mall...many locals out biking or running early morning. Lots of police presence. Shopping mall ok..picked up wine, had look around. Variety of restaurants in food court area and cinema on top floor. Spent afternoon at hotel swimming pool. Took Princess transfer to port next morning.

Taxis were plentiful.Lined up outside hotel.Some people said to hail one off street as cheaper, others said to get concierge to call one, to be safer. Always agree meter or arrange price. We had no occasion to use one, so no opinion.

I've seen Hotel Plaza San Francisco, the Sheraton, Hotel Orly and the Marriott mentioned on here and was wondering which neighbourhood is most desirable for walking to tourist sites.

I've stayed at all of these, except the Sheraton. The Hotel Plaza San Francisco is right next door to the church of that name and in walking distance to most of the downtown historic and tourist places. There's a restaurant and boutique hotel area behind it known as Barrio Paris Londres. The hotel itself is rather dated.

The Hotel Orly is in Providencia, which is a pleasant area a short distance from the center and full of good restaurants. You need to take a taxi or the metro (Valdivia station) to get into the center. I wasn't wowed by the hotel, I prefer a more corporate style.

The Marriott is fully corporate, but a good example of its brand. It is quite a long way out of town and there's nothing much there except a shopping center and offices. I was there over Christmas so transport was pretty much shut down and I used taxis to get in and out.

I've stayed at a few other places, none of which I'd recommend for tourism. If I were there for that purpose I'd look for a corporate place close to downtown.

Looking at Buenos Aires now-the area that " The Brick" is in looks fine to me and I see the cruiselines are using it.

Was there a hotel shuttle? Taxi cost to/from EZE?

Tango/restaurant/sightseeing recommendations appreciated.

Looking at Buenos Aires now-the area that " The Brick" is in looks fine to me and I see the cruiselines are using it.

Was there a hotel shuttle? Taxi cost to/from EZE?

Tango/restaurant/sightseeing recommendations appreciated.

Just priced The Brick hotel in Buenos Aires---$500+/night. Looking for something under $250/night.

dog

Re: hotels in BA: try the Etoile in Recoleta. Nice place, excellent location across from park/cemetary, pool on roof, breakfast included. Under $200.

Re:shuttle. Try airporttransferbuenosaires.com. $69 USD from hotel to EZE.

Tango/dinner - try La Ventana - pick up at hotel, dinner with wine, tango show, etc. -$309 Cdn for two.

Have fun!:D

Tyfootea

Re: hotels in BA: try the Etoile in Recoleta. Nice place, excellent location across from park/cemetary, pool on roof, breakfast included. Under $200.

Re:shuttle. Try airporttransferbuenosaires.com. $69 USD from hotel to EZE.

Tango/dinner - try La Ventana - pick up at hotel, dinner with wine, tango show, etc. -$309 Cdn for two.

Have fun!:D

Tyfootea

Great area and price. I will keep hotel in mind.

So EZE is a 60 minute drive from this hotel. My flight will probably be about 9 or 10 am-how busy are the roads 6-7am?

Shuttle - is it $69 per person? Did you use it?

Thanks so much for your help.

EZE transfer is $69 total, NOT per person. i know this per person sometimes catches you.

No, I haven’t actually used it, but are booked for the next cruise into BA.

They pick you up at the hotel about three hours before your flight.

Tyfootea

Thanks for your reply.

We stayed at the Plaza San Francisco in mid-January 2018 for 2 nights pre-cruise. Centrally located and easy to walk to most tourist sites - the hotel key pad cover has a good (and discreet) City Centre map that makes it easy to navigate.

Hotel meals were reasonably priced and it has a charming (if a little faded) gentility about it - very civilised - friendly politeness. This will be our hotel of choice for future visits.

We took 2 x Walking Tours with Spicy Chile.cl - the Fruit Market and 360 Degree Chile - first rate! We were the only participants so it was like walking with a friend - very relaxed and ample time for taking photos.

We stayed at the Plaza San Francisco in mid-January 2018 for 2 nights pre-cruise. Centrally located and easy to walk to most tourist sites - the hotel key pad cover has a good (and discreet) City Centre map that makes it easy to navigate.

Hotel meals were reasonably priced and it has a charming (if a little faded) gentility about it - very civilised - friendly politeness. This will be our hotel of choice for future visits.

We took 2 x Walking Tours with Spicy Chile.cl - the Fruit Market and 360 Degree Chile - first rate! We were the only participants so it was like walking with a friend - very relaxed and ample time for taking photos.

Thanks for the information. I've booked the Hotel Plaza San Francisco in Santigo, Chile for 3 nights pre cruise.

dog:cool: