Cunard playing silly buggers with CONFIRMED dining

phillipahain

Daughter and grandaughter currently on Elizabeth ..early dining has been confirmed for weeks

Get on board and folk who want late dining given early and confirmed early diners given late seating

Maitre D being downright rude to everyone

Pursers no help

This is ridiculous who wants to eat at 8.30 and not have access to entertainment till 10.30

Talkabout spoiling their first and what will now be last cruise on Cunard

If thats how they treat people they can stuff it

We are Diamond members and on it on 25th and also have confirmed early dining so Cunard need to start thinking

Even their phone number for head office in theUK is not answering calls despite it not yet being 8pm

If they have booked in the UK and booked a Select fare then they have every right to be annoyed if their confirmed dining has changed but if like Host Hattie correctly states they have booked an Early Saver then the conditions are clearly stated on Cunard website which is as follows - "your preference of dining time in the Britannia. Restaurant will be confirmed on boarding, subject to availability"

I dont see what anyone paid has anything to do with it ...
Quite a lot actually. As host Hattie indicates, those on early (and late?) UK "Saver Fares" can request early or late dining, but it will not be "confirmed" until they are on board. If passengers book the "Cunard Fare" then they are given first choice of dining times, or that is what I have been lead to believe.

I feel that there are details or something missing in this report, no offence intended, I'm sure it is completely unintentional, possibly just a breakdown in communications I'm certain, but the situation doesn't sound at all like my experiences or observations over many voyages on four Cunard ships.

I hope that the situation is resolved and everything works out for the best. I wish your family a happy voyage, or what remains of it of course.

Yours,

Daughter and grandaughter currently on Elizabeth ..early dining has been confirmed for weeks

Get on board and folk who want late dining given early and confirmed early diners given late seating

Maitre D being downright rude to everyone

Pursers no help

This is ridiculous who wants to eat at 8.30 and not have access to entertainment till 10.30

Talkabout spoiling their first and what will now be last cruise on Cunard

If thats how they treat people they can stuff it

We are Diamond members and on it on 25th and also have confirmed early dining so Cunard need to start thinking

Even their phone number for head office in theUK is not answering calls despite it not yet being 8pm

odd....I thought you said you were on your first cruise with Cunard???

How then I wonder did you manage to join and already be on the lofty heights of Diamond level?

odd....I thought you said you were on your first cruise with cunard??? How then did you manage to join already on the lofty heights of Diamond level?

It's the OP's family who are currently on board on their first cruise.

Its daughter and grandaughters first cruise ever on any line

We are not cruising on QE until 25th and yes we are Diamond level but not been on Cunard for 3 years clearly a lot has changed inc the attitude of their staff

Nothing whatever condones rudeness from the Maitre D

And if cruise personliser says confirmed then thats what it should be

I have the screenshots to prove it

Its daughter and grandaughters first cruise ever on any line

We are not cruising on QE until 25th and yes we are Diamond level but not been on Cunard for 3 years clearly a lot has changed inc the attitude of their staff

Nothing whatever condones rudeness from the Maitre D

And if cruise personliser says confirmed then thats what it should be

I have the screenshots to prove it

aaaaahhh...i see....a girls week off.

sorry they are having such a terrible time..of course that would never happen on the Queen Victoria, whom is perfect in every way. (apart from her new ugly stern of course).

odd....I thought you said you were on your first cruise with Cunard???

How then I wonder did you manage to join and already be on the lofty heights of Diamond level?

My reading is that it is phillipahain's daughter and granddaughter who are on their first cruise on Cunard. The Diamond status is phillipahain's person loyalty level.

Oops, just realised I wasn't quick enough with my observation.

Lots of people (including us) prefer late dining.

What a shame they are disappointed, what sort of fare did they book ?

I always thought late sitting was the most popular, can't understand anyone wanting to eat dinner at 6pm. Each to their own I guess.

OP when you say those who want early got late and vice versa, has this happened to everyone and they have just got the whole ships reservations backwards? If it is a just your family then as others have asked did you book a saver fare? I was under the impression dining is only confirmed when you get on board with saver, irrespective of what the voyage personaliser may say. It isn't about the amount paid, it is about the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

Whatever has happened you are correct that nothing condones rudeness from the Maitre D.

Just logged into my own voyage personaliser to check, it shows 8.30 dining but it doesn't say anywhere that is is "Confirmed", however my understanding from when i booked is that it is confirmed due to paying the Cunard Fare.

It does have a section about saver fares which I have copied below:

Early Saver Bookers

Early Savers receive 2nd priority for dining. We will attempt to accommodate your request but this is not guaranteed. Dining will be allocated on board and cannot be changed. To register a dining preference please click on the below link.

Seems likely that while the voyage personaliser may have shown early seating, this was just showing your preference and wasn't a confirmation. Cunard's website is imo fairly terrible and riddled with mistakes/out of date info.

The Cunard website has this

"Cunard Fare

You will be asked for your preference on table size and time at time of booking. Subject to availability these will be confirmed*at time of booking.

Early Saver

You have the option of*advising us of their preference*up to five days prior to departure. Confirmation will be provided once on board.

Please note that those on Early Saver fares who have booked into a Queens Grill (grades Q1 to Q7) or Princess Grill (grades P1 & P2) suite or Britannia Club stateroom (AA, AC grades*) need not submit a dining preference as there is*one sitting*in these*restaurants.

Late Saver and other promotional fares

You will not be able to specify any preference, you will be allocated your sitting and will be advised on board."

The Cunard website has this

"Cunard Fare

You will be asked for your preference on table size and time at time of booking. Subject to availability these will be confirmed*at time of booking.

Early Saver

You have the option of*advising us of their preference*up to five days prior to departure. Confirmation will be provided once on board.

Please note that those on Early Saver fares who have booked into a Queens Grill (grades Q1 to Q7) or Princess Grill (grades P1 & P2) suite or Britannia Club stateroom (AA, AC grades*) need not submit a dining preference as there is*one sitting*in these*restaurants.

Late Saver and other promotional fares

You will not be able to specify any preference, you will be allocated your sitting and will be advised on board."

This all sounds correct appart from the bit about table size being confirmed on booking. Cunard agent I booked with most recently confirmed late sitting but said although i could request a table size it would only be confirmed on board. I dont remember table size being confirmed until on board on previous trips either.

The voyage personaliser shows my table size preference but underneath it states "*Please be aware that Table Size cannot be confirmed until you are Onboard."

[

This is ridiculous who wants to eat at 8.30

sailing out of Geiranger Flam or New York etc is why we always go for late sitting my VP simply states 8:30 dining the word confirmed does not appear, it would help if the OP indicated what level of fare was paid by his relatives

Assuming that they are on the QE Norway cruise that sailed today, hopefully things might get sorted out after tonight, always seems to be a lot of movement after the first nights meal. Hopefully the OP will get back to and report the outcome.

Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee ...and if i could find a way to post the cruise personliser bit on here i would because it very very clearly says

Sitting .....early dining ...Confirmed

Late dining Currently waitlisted

In the bit above where it has preferences it also says Early Seating

Theres nothing in any of the paperwork i saw which said "subject to change etc "

When i hear what the outcome is i will post it

I do know they met other unhappy passengers who had late dining as Confirmed on their cruise personliser who onboard found it changed to early

There was a queue of people at the dining room all in same boat so something must be wrong with Cunards system ...it will be especially difficult for anyone with medical conditions who have to eat at certain times and who cannot eat late because even if you go to dinner at 8.30 we all know you wont actually get your meal till 9pm

Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee ...and if i could find a way to post the cruise personliser bit on here i would because it very very clearly says

Sitting .....early dining ...Confirmed

Late dining Currently waitlisted

In the bit above where it has preferences it also says Early Seating

Theres nothing in any of the paperwork i saw which said "subject to change etc "

When i hear what the outcome is i will post it

I do know they met other unhappy passengers who had late dining as Confirmed on their cruise personliser who onboard found it changed to early

There was a queue of people at the dining room all in same boat so something must be wrong with Cunards system ...it will be especially difficult for anyone with medical conditions who have to eat at certain times and who cannot eat late because even if you go to dinner at 8.30 we all know you wont actually get your meal till 9pm

I am fairly sure that there are only two types of bookings, CUNARD FARE or EARLY SAVER.

Where you say "Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee", a guarantee merely refers to the fact that a cabin has not been allocated at the time of booking. I think it is more than likely that this booking is an Early Saver Fare, which has little to do with the actual time the booking was made.

As for saying confirmed, that can be changed at any time up to receiving the on board dining arrangements, which is a card in the cabin giving the dining arrangements. It seems likely they have been bumped in favour of a Cunard Fare party, who take precedence.

Early Saver Bookers

Early Savers receive 2nd priority for dining. We will attempt to accommodate your request but this is not guaranteed. Dining will be allocated on board and cannot be changed. To register a dining preference please click on the below link.

I am fairly sure that there are only two types of bookings, CUNARD FARE or EARLY SAVER.

Where you say "Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee", a guarantee merely refers to the fact that a cabin has not been allocated at the time of booking. I think it is more than likely that this booking is an Early Saver Fare, which has little to do with the actual time the booking was made.

As for saying confirmed, that can be changed at any time up to receiving the on board dining arrangements, which is a card in the cabin giving the dining arrangements. It seems likely they have been bumped in favour of a Cunard Fare party, who take precedence.

Early Saver Bookers

If it was booked in the UK then I believe this is correct, there is Cunard Fare, Early Saver and if required late saver. The saver fares are guarantees as you are guaranteed a class of cabin but don't get to select which one.

If booked outside the UK then this may well differ.

I agree with Welshred, advise them not to let this spoil their holiday. They may find they like late seating, you can always go to afternoon tea to tide you over. Failing that kings court is an option. Even if it has left such a bad taste that you don't plan on travelling with Cunard again I would try to enjoy the holiday.

Edited by Ben_83

The most confusing aspect here is that the OP is saying they want Early Sitting, but says that other passengers are complaining that they have been moved from Late to Early, if this is the case then I don't see why the OP's family's request can't be met.

The problem here is we are getting third party information, not straight from the horses mouth,well intentioned though it is, facts do tend to get clouded when passed along a chain.