Freedom of the Seas Review Aug 12

Third stab at this, I accidently erased this twice so far tonight. Maybe sign I need to go to bed????? I attempted to imbed links to my photos here so just let me know if they are not working correctly.

We left for Denver Friday the 10th after work about 8pm. There were two of us making this drive to DIA as our oldest son was flying into Orlando from Omaha and meeting us at the airport. We arrived just before 1am to find out that the ticket counters do not open till 4:30am, so I trekked back out to the pickup and retrieved our snuggies from under the seats so we could try to catch some sleep in the airport waiting areas. Our flight left at 6:30am so I did not make any reservations for a hotel in Denver. Note to self, if I ever deside that it is not worth getting a room to catch some sleep, again please remember cranky, fussy, tired, and basically ill humored 13 year old son. :eek: Fligh made the airport on time and without any delays so we were out of the flight by a little after 1pm.

Orlando, what an amazing place to walk around and do some sightseeing. We made reservations at 4 points Sheraton Cocoa Beach and would recommend it to everyone. They went above and beyond to ensure we knew where to go to get to the beach, sightsee, etc. This was the first time the boys had ever been to the ocean or Florida. I have been to the ocean in California before but never to Florida , so we all were super excited to get down to the shore. Logan, Ryan and I wondered down to the pier to grab some dinner and check out the water. We ate at the bar right on the pier and officially celebrated the start of our vacation with beer and frozen daquaries, MMM. Logan got a batter dipped fish that was literally as big as the plate that he said was and I quote "The most amazing, delish fish ever mom!! We went back to the room rested for a couple hours then went exploring Ron Jons and the area around our hotel. If you are looking for a fun experience for supper while you are in that area you have to walk down a couple blocks from Ron Jon's to A NY pizza joint. The best pizza, hands down.

Thanks so much you guys! We really did love Cocoa Beach, it was so fun to walk down the beach to the pier with the sand under your feet.

Lynne95- I went out to my pickup and dug out my receipt from the trash so I could give you the name of the place. It is the Boardwalk Bar on the Cocoa Beach Pier. As you come up onto the pier you pass some showers and go up the stairs right at the top is the boardwalk bar. We ate on the outside tables but you can go inside too. You have to go through the building to go on out to the end of the pier. One side note if you get a meal at the Boardwalk Bar and keep your receipt you get to go to the end of the pier for free, other wise you have to pay but I do not remember the cost.

Marty in KY- Ron Jon's is so cool to go through. We spent hours and hours there.

Thanks so much you guys! We really did love Cocoa Beach, it was so fun to walk down the beach to the pier with the sand under your feet.

Lynne95- I went out to my pickup and dug out my receipt from the trash so I could give you the name of the place. It is the Boardwalk Bar on the Cocoa Beach Pier. As you come up onto the pier you pass some showers and go up the stairs right at the top is the boardwalk bar. We ate on the outside tables but you can go inside too. You have to go through the building to go on out to the end of the pier. One side note if you get a meal at the Boardwalk Bar and keep your receipt you get to go to the end of the pier for free, other wise you have to pay but I do not remember the cost.

Marty in KY- Ron Jon's is so cool to go through. We spent hours and hours there.

That was so sweet of you! Thanks!

I too am looking forward to hearing all about your cruise --- we sail next July.

One question for you: Do you know if Southwest is one of the airlines listed for Luggage Valet Service?

Thanks much.

Italy52 yes see here and page 2 my hubby always gives me static for all the "stuff" I tote home after the cruise. :D

When we made the reservations at 4 Points Sheraton we got a package deal for $175 that included airport pickup and drop off. I asked what it would cost to include a transfer to the pier also. For 3 of us with 5 checked bags and 2 carry ons it was an additional $90 reasonable to me since it would all be through the hotel and I would not have to do anything. The man driving our transfer was a retired military man, whose last post was Omaha, Nebraska so we had a wonderful time visiting with him. He was very talkative and informative as to the area and what you seen. One piece of trivia that he gave us was "What is the 4th largest export in Florida?" Many guesses but no one was correct. Cattle. Florida's largest ranch and exporter is the Deseret Ranch, which covers an approximate 50 mile by 30 mile area.

Passing through customs and getting onto ship for the most part was a very easy experience. We requested our transfer early so that we could be at the pier by 11 or 11:30. We arrived before the large crowds descended. On our last cruise we came later and to say it was a rat race is an under statement. :rolleyes: For the most part this was a quick process. We did have one minor hiccup though. We had originally made the reservations for the two rooms Logan and I in one room and Gordon and Ryan in second room. Then we were going to reroom on ship. Well do to some weather issues Gordon could not come on vacation with us. :(. When the RCCI lady was checking us in she said we have a problem, he can't be alone in the room. Momentary panic set in, visions of watching the ship sail away without us were going through my mind. She did some calling and computer work and about 4 or 5 minutes later asked him his age (20) and gave him an ok to be in the room alone. I know the issue was with reserving the room to someone under 21 so not sure how this worked out but all was good. I have a photo I am going to include here of our first glimpse of the ship but it is on my computer at home so for the time being you are going to have to use your imagination as to what it looks like. I can hear the OHHH and AHHS from here. You all have such great imaginations.

The first thing we did once we got on ship was explore, I was more excited to show the boys around the ship and watch them than anything. We toured the Arcadia Theater, Pharaoh's Palace, swimming decks, flow rider, and Promenade. We then checked out the shipshape fitness center. It was funny to watch the 13 year old and 20 year old "compete" at weight lifting. Ryan was amazed at the amount of equipment and weights they had available to use. That they had a boxing ring on board blew him away (that was one surprise I did not let him in on)

When sail away came we decided to watch it from our rooms. We had rooms 7566 and 7568, non adjoining rooms. Our amazing cabin steward opened our balcony divider for us so that we could have easy access to both rooms. From our side of the ship we could see NASA off in the distance, the bridge coming into the pier and boats docked around us. We also looked over the Carnival ship docked with us that left just prior to us. You could see they were constructing a new pier for cargo shipping (at least I am assuming that it is for shipping and not cruising). Being from a land locked area is was fascinating to us to see them doing the underwater construction. Views of the construction buoy, and leaving the canal behind. After getting on the "road" Logan and I took off to people watch in the promenade while Ryan went off to scout on his own. As a 20 yr old boy I am certain what he was scouting, LOL. Moms out there what happened to the years when we were cool to hang out with?????

We finished off the evening together with supper at Windjammer.I think for buffet style meals, the Freedom's staff did a superb job of keeping hot food hot and cold food cold. The food was good as I expected. They had so much variety I do not know how anyone could go home hungry. Was this 4 star dining, no, but just as good as any chain restaurant you find. Ryan and Logan went off to individual activities and this left me with much needed peace to have a drink and watch the people pass by. Meeting back in our rooms later that night we all slept like babies.

Cruise Compass

Pg 2

Pg 3

Pg 4

Teen Compass

Thanks for reading hope you enjoy! Any questions you have don't hesitate I will try to answer any I can.

I too am looking forward to hearing all about your cruise --- we sail next July.

One question for you: Do you know if Southwest is one of the airlines listed for Luggage Valet Service?

Thanks much.

Sorry, I know you weren't directing this to me, but yes Southwest is one of the airlines for Luggage Valet Serice (however, on our cruise, the flight had to be between 12 noon and 6 pm for Southwest).

fischymom & gowensricks:

Thanks for the information on the luggage valet service and confirming that Southwest Airlines participates --- someone had posted a while back that Southwest wasn't participating --- now, I have current information (per the scan/photo) that they indeed do.

Looking forward to the next installment of your photo journal.

I learned the hard way to type up my reviews in WORD and then copy and paste, less chance of losing it that way. That is so frustrating! And thanks for the review, can't wait for my FOS cruise in January!

Sorry I really did not go anywhere, just one of those days at work if you know what I mean, I guess we all have to go back to reality sometime. I have tried all week to get pool side drinks at work, a nice lounger to relax on, someone to cook me snacks and meals, but no one is cooperating. I think it is some kind of mutiny!

Day two

This was the day we went to Cocoa Cay. We had decided to take a later boat to the island since we had no scheduled reservations. So many people try to hurry to those first boats you have a long, long wait to get your turn. I think we went ashore sometime around 10 or 10:30, and the line once you got down to deck 1 was maybe 10 or 15 minutes at the most to board. Prior to go down there though we went up to the windjammer to have some breakfast. There was basically no one in the windjammer so we did not have to fight our way to find a table. We ate every breakfast at the windjammer the week we were on the cruise so I do not have anything to compare it to, sorry. I have heard lots of good things about breakfast in the MDR but we just never got around to getting there for breakfast.

After the short jaunt to get onto the island we scouted out some loungers close to some shade. I left Logan with our things while I took Ryan over to get him signed up to parasail. I don’t know the normal procedure for this but they were able to get him out and on the boat within about 15 minutes. You could see the boats with the parasailers running all over. I would imagine the view breathtaking. So after getting him off I headed back to Logan to rent a locker and snorkeling equipment. This is one of two times during the day that I was disappointed with the quality of service we were given. We got into line to get the equipment and the lady running the counter got our information and moved us around the corner to get our fins and snorkels. When we got into line the two men inside were very short tempered and snappy. I do understand that they see hundreds and hundreds of people every day with varying amounts of skills. But we were rudely pushed through the line without any instructions or letting us know that there was going to be any kind of orientation on the equipment. After the emergency valve was released on my vest we went to get another vest and they were incredibly rude. They wanted to know why we did not listen to the boy giving the demo. I really did not say anything to them but went over and got a quick demo on everything, and checked out the map to see where things were sunk to swim too. I know when we went back to the lounger and put our shoes under the seats we helped another family with their equipment. So I am certain they were not letting people know any of this information. But after that the snorkeling was incredible. The canon was by far my favorite spot. The fish swimming under and around you leaves you humbled as to how small we really are in the vastness of this earth.

We spent about 2 hours swimming around and relaxing in the water, before going in to catch some dinner and drinks. Dinner was normal bbq fare, hamburgers, hotdogs and trimmings. Nothing amazing, all good though. I did find the Caribbean corn, MMMMM! I had to go back to get 2 more of those. This is where the second disappointment comes. The sea gulls, UGGG. They were a nuisance; I do not know what they could do differently but they are unappealing when you are trying to eat. After dinner Logan and Ryan headed back to the water to snorkel some more while I rested in the shade under the palms.

I do have to send out kudos to the island employee that found Logan’s seapass and just happened to be going by us as we were backtracking looking for it. Him carrying the seapass and Logan’s distinctive lanyard caught my eye and we were able to quickly get back onto ship. Back on ship we headed back to our cabins to shower and relax.

Good Friday Morning All!!

We made it another week closer to our next cruise, LOL.

Sorry I did not get these on last night but the only scanner I have access to is here at work so it had to wait till this am as soon as I got to work. I love working at a place that lets me creep around CC all day long.

Teen compass

Cruise compass

pg 2

pg 3

pg 4

some random pics first one of the boardwalk second a closer one of cocoa cay.

Archived