If one person can't go

Mustang93!

We have booked both our over 18 kids in a cabin and canceled one a couple weeks prior to sailing more than once. Usually the single fee is equal to 2, but taxes and port fees are per person so the cabin cost doesn't change, but we get a refund of port fees and taxes. If you cancel before final payment you won't be charged those fees. If you book with perks, the $150 per person is really $300 per cabin and so the person cruising will get all $300. You should wait to pay tips until onboard as those will be figured for one. If you've selected the drinks the second person's will just drop off, but you won't get anything in return. Not sure if you'd get 2 access codes for the internet package as we always select the drinks and OBC.

Unless the person canceling has cruise insurance he/she will lose the cruise cost but will get a refund of port fees and taxes and any pre paid gratuities, excursions or packages. The person sailing will not be charged more regardless of the insurance status of the other cruiser.

if two people are booked in a room and one can't go, how does that affect the other person? Thanks.

If the other person wished to invite someone else to join them, they could have the passenger name changed - presumably with the permission of the one that could not go and perhaps at least a partial personal remuneration.

• 3 weeks later...
Do I need to call the cruise line, my travel agent, etc. to let them know one party isn't coming? Thank you.

Did 1 person (you or them) pay ALL of the cruise charges on their credit card?

Did you each pay your own cruise costs on your own credit card?

Does the other person have insurance? They may get refund from insurance. If the other person does NOT have insurance, are they OK with not getting a full refund and only getting the taxes and port fees?

It is after final payment, so no cruise cost refund from cruise line. As stated above, yes refund of tax & port fees.

On board credit: 1 person in the cabin won't get the $300. If it's $150 per person, then the 1 person who sails will get $150. I am pretty sure of this. I have done mock bookings where cruise line is offering X OBC for the cabin. When I enter 1 person sailing, it drops to 1/2 of the offer.

Thank you. Do I need to contact someone before the cruise to let them know the other party isn't coming?

It depends on the answer to some of the questions.

IF your friend is insured and IS expecting a refund from insurance, then she will have to cancel herself from the cruise.

If the friend has NO insurance, and completely understands that there is NO refund except for the taxes and port fees, then no. No one needs to call TA or cruise line. She just becomes a no show on the cruise. As it has been said here on CC many times, the taxes & port fees are automatically refunded to the form of payment.

I have never done this. I have no personal experience with this. I am only relaying info. I've read here on CC from MANY others.

And if there is a drink package, I do NOT believe you will have to pay for 2 people to use the drink package. You should be able to only pay for yourself, IF you are purchasing it.