Was there a recent price increase?

drneal

I booked a cruise on the Wind Star for Aug 2019.

The prices started around $4,500/person for 7 nights.

I had originally thought about the same cruise 2 summers ago and don't remember the prices seeming really expensive.

I understand WS is offering something different, but $10K/cabin for a week seems high.

(I did get $150/person on-board credit)

Have the prices increased significantly or is it only my perception?

I am looking forward to a Windstar cruise

I agree that Greece seems very high. Prices for this summer are over double what I paid last year, and I also got a free drink package.

I think $4500 a week is high, but I don’t know what cruise you booked.

Booked a 7 night Greek cruise.

BX cabin for the Kids $4,800/each

AX cabin for us $5,300/each

$150/ea on-board credit but no drink package included

I've been looking at Windstar for years but thought the price was high

Thanks for the input

Seaborne and Crystal are less

I think some prices have gone way up. The Surf’s prices are very high for the Rome Malta and Return, 10 days. I saw it this year in the high twos low yhrees. Next year $4999. That is a huge jump. I am watching it carefully. Caribbean prices are stable. Enjoy your trip. Our Greece trip with WS glorious. Happy Sailing.

Also, don't forget to monitor prices - if they drop, take advantage of the price guarantee policy. Especially, check the 7 for 7 specials that are advertised almost every Thursday.

What and where is the 7 for 7 special?

You can find the 7 for 7 Specials by going to the Windstar website and clicking on the Specials tab. Almost (sometimes they have another promotion) every Thursday they post 7 cruises on sale for 7 days. You can also sign up for promotional emails - except I have found they are not very consistent in sending those out.

The 7 for 7 specials are usually posted on Thursday and are available until the following Wednesday.

They also have times when they run more cruises on sale for a week or more. There was a September one week sale, something in December and something more recently (a March one week sale?). Probably there will be something in June too. Those had sale prices on more than a hundred sailings.

You can find the sales on the specials tab or you can go to the cruise finder and click "hot deals".

The discount when a cruise is on sale varies (presumably depending on how much they want to move the cabins). I booked my cruises for next month when they were each on 7 for 7 in August and September. Each one went on sale again on 7 for 7 for a lower price and I got my fare reduced. Then in December, a Star Collector covering the two cruises was on 7 for 7. Up until then, the Star Collector had been more than my combined price by quite a bit, but the 7 for 7 price was more than $1K less than my total. Windstar let me switch from the two separate bookings to the Star Collector.

As long as you are at least 120 days out from sailing, you should be able to get the price adjusted (though their policy gives them the alternative of compensating with OBC or an upgrade instead - they usually used one of those in the past when the adjustment was after final payment, but since now they only adjust up to 120 days which is before final payment is due).

Give them a call on Monday (or get your TA to do so if you used one) to request a change to the new price.

I will call Windstar

I'll also put in a call to a travel agent to see if they can do better.

I'm not sure I like not being to deal directly with the cruise line once

I get a TA involved

I like avoiding the long hold times on the phone. I don't really have anything to discuss after making a booking, but noting it's someone's birthday, for example, or asking for a price adjustment. My TA can do this.

I put a call in to my TA.

I'm waiting to hear back.

In the meantime I called Windstar.

As long as it's more than 120 days out they will make changes.

She cancelled my booking and charged me $50/person cancellation fee.

She then re-booked at the lower price and credited each person a $50

on board credit.

One phone call = $2,000 savings, but I had to monitor the website for price changes.

Would a travel agent do this automatically?