Abbreviations/Acronyms! Look up here before asking.

Kreiven

What if we fix this post so people can take a look here before submitting a new thread to ask what XYZ mean? I think it would be a good idea.

AFT - Back of the ship

B2B - Back to back cruises

FTTF - Faster To The Fun (check Carnival's website for more information)

Lido - One of the decks on Carnival ships

MDR - Main Dining Room

YTD - Your Time Dinner

OV - Ocean View cabin

Cruise Lines:

DCL - Disney Cruise Line

RCCL - Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

RCI - Royal Caribbean International

... (you can post and I'll be adding them here)

• Like 2

You're also going to need to include every single "Dear" abbreviation for any relative you can think of - husband, wife, various inlaws .... every deck for any cruiselines which name their decks ... you mention Lido is a deck on Carnival, it is also the name of the buffet on HAL (there you go, that's Holland America). Then you're going to have to list all of the other buffets ... people on CC use abbreviations/acronyms for different drink packages, dining options, ports, crew members, activities ... the list would be endless ...

"Aft" and "Lido" are neither acronyms or abbreviations. They are words.

And RCCL is not the acronym for the cruise line (RCI) but for the parent corporation. Which is plural ("Lines"). Admittedly the most misused one on Cruise Critic.

Edited by fishywood

And RCCL is not the acronym for the cruise line (RCI) but for the parent corporation. Which is plural ("Lines"). Admittedly the most misused one on Cruise Critic.

Actually I do need to correct myself.

It is the third word represented by the acronym RCCL than is pluralized, not the fourth.

As the correct name of the parent company is Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

However I expect that RCCL will be assumed on these boards to be the acronym for the individual cruise line Royal Caribbean International (RCI) until the end of time.

Thus the futility of even attempting to compile a genuinely representative glossary of terms.

• 3 weeks later...
And the OP started this thread because he didn't see the sticky at the top of this forum about Nautical Lexicon and what words mean??

Please...... Use The Stickies, they are there for a reason!

True, but the original link in the starter post no longer works. So here's a new link that many should find useful. Nautical Lexicon

BTW, This thread, started by member Kreiven, has been made a sticky and replaces the former one, which can still be found at this link.

• 2 weeks later...
What if we fix this post so people can take a look here before submitting a new thread to ask what XYZ mean? I think it would be a good idea.

AFT - Back of the ship

Cruise Lines:

Aft is not the back of the ship. Aft is a direction.

RCCL is not a cruise line. It's a parent corporation. It stands for Royal Caribbean Cruises, LTD.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ya’ll,

This nice info but where is the listing of acronyms used by many on the boards. And for us that are not constant cruisers we can sometimes forget or not retain what the 2, 3, or 4 letters are suppose to stand for.

Is DH = dear husband?

TA = Travel Agent, TransAtlantic

Okay. I understand people who are accustomed to the acronyms can easily interpret the meanings, but for us DA’es how about taking a little bit of time to SPELL OUT the words.

My first job at 16 I was told something that I always remembered an attempted to utilize throughout my caree.

I worked in a small clothing store and the buyer and lead salesperson told me this, “make sure whatever you do, that it easy enough for a first grader to understand.” Later in life my admin translated that into “ducks and bunnies”.

So if I can ask you all to do us a favor and make it easy for us with short memories, and use ducks and bunnies in your descriptions.

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ya’ll,

This nice info but where is the listing of acronyms used by many on the boards. And for us that are not constant cruisers we can sometimes forget or not retain what the 2, 3, or 4 letters are suppose to stand for.

Is DH = dear husband?

TA = Travel Agent, TransAtlantic

Okay. I understand people who are accustomed to the acronyms can easily interpret the meanings, but for us DA’es how about taking a little bit of time to SPELL OUT the words.

My first job at 16 I was told something that I always remembered an attempted to utilize throughout my caree.

I worked in a small clothing store and the buyer and lead salesperson told me this, “make sure whatever you do, that it easy enough for a first grader to understand.” Later in life my admin translated that into “ducks and bunnies”.

So if I can ask you all to do us a favor and make it easy for us with short memories, and use ducks and bunnies in your descriptions.

Thank you

I totally get what you're saying. But, since people have been "doing it this way for ages" I doubt it's going to change.

I totally get what you're saying. But, since people have been "doing it this way for ages" I doubt it's going to change.

Totally agree. While a few acronyms are are specific to Cruise Critic, others such as DH, DW, SIL, DIL, etc are widely used on other forums.

The marine industry also has many industry specific words - galley, deck, bulkheads, etc learning these terms should be part of the cruising experience.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, Kreiven said:

AFT - Back of the ship

B2B - Back to back cruises

FTTF - Faster To The Fun (check Carnival's website for more information)

Lido - One of the decks on Carnival ships

MDR - Main Dining Room

YTD - Your Time Dinner

OV - Ocean View cabin

Cruise Lines:

DCL - Disney Cruise Line

... (you can post and I'll be adding them here)

S&S = Sail and Sign. It can refer to your card that is given to you for shipboard charges, the room key (if available), and as for access getting on and off the ship. It can also refer to the on board account used by Carnival. The name is officially used by Carnival. However other cruisers may use the name on other cruise lines.

Of course context matters when using acronyms. Otherwise how would you know that on CC (cruise critic) you can lookup how to use your CC (credit card) when cruising on CC (carnival cruises) not when trying to buy stock in CC (Carnival Corp.) the parent company.  It is a good thing that there are not a lot of cruises to Cape Cod  (CC) or that might really confuse things.

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

It depends on the context but it's usually Darling Son.  

OK thanks. In the context I read it here on one of the forum topics, it was difficult to determine. I thought maybe Dearest Sister but that made no sense.