Rise in Gratuities


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:36 AM.
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by eddie11
This is exactly why it is so difficult for passengers to decide whether to remain ‘obedient customers’ or to kick back and remove voluntary contributions.

I have written to ask P&O whether any staff who have served me during my holiday will lose remuneration if I remove gratuities. I asked very clearly and requested a clear, simple, answer.

I’m not holding my breath
I have also asked P&O for a clear and simple answer to the question 'If a passenger removes the service charge, do staff that they decide to reward personally have to hand in any gratuities given to them directly by these passengers'?

Like you, I'm not holding my breath, but I did ask them last year whether any gratuities that we gave over and above the service charge had to be handed in and I received a very clear answer in writing. They do NOT have to hand them in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Southern UK
217 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
That would have been (still may be) my follow-up question, Selbourne, but I wanted to keep all interactions very simple. One question at a time; no wriggle room
Surrey, UK
1,673 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Selbourne
I have also asked P&O for a clear and simple answer to the question 'If a passenger removes the service charge, do staff that they decide to reward personally have to hand in any gratuities given to them directly by these passengers'?

Like you, I'm not holding my breath, but I did ask them last year whether any gratuities that we gave over and above the service charge had to be handed in and I received a very clear answer in writing. They do NOT have to hand them in.
The problem with asking P&O anything is that you are liable to get different answers depending on who answers you !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
UK
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by grapau27
If P&O listen to what people are saying they could make a PR coup by making tips included in the cruise fare and using that as an advertising slogan.
If necessary they could look at reducing the amount of obc given.We have booked a 2 night cruise on Oceana in a suite and without even asking we were given £100obc.
Why would that be a PR coup, Saga have done it for ages.
https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/oc...nclusions.aspx
Surrey, UK
1,673 Posts
Joined May 2006
Could someone cleverer than me should set up a poll to ask 'how, as a result of the latest increase, posters intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise'. May be interesting to see the results.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Whitley Bay, North East England
7,248 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by eddie11
This is exactly why it is so difficult for passengers to decide whether to remain ‘obedient customers’ or to kick back and remove voluntary contributions.

I have written to ask P&O whether any staff who have served me during my holiday will lose remuneration if I remove gratuities. I asked very clearly and requested a clear, simple, answer.

I’m not holding my breath


If you are on freedom dining certainly unless you are going to tip every night after your meal.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720
Azura A728 Azura A729
Ventura N801 Oriana X807

To Come

Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 20
Aurora 20
Aurora 20
Aurora 20



Gan Canny

Dai
BH13 - England
3,080 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by bee-ess
Could someone cleverer than me should set up a poll to ask 'how, as a result of the latest increase, posters intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise'. May be interesting to see the results.
Regarding a ponential of a poll, one has to ask what percentage of those stating they would tip, will be economical with the truth?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.
Surrey
466 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
[quote=janny444;55324655]
Originally posted by Selbourne
You are welcome, but I fear that you may have misunderstood my answer. So, to be clear, the crew DO miss out, because P&O does NOT make up the shortfall. Forget the ones who have some withheld due to poor scores, the rest get a proportion of what is in the pot. So, the more people that remove the service charge, the smaller the pot becomes and the smaller each persons share is.[/quote

Oops ...I did totally misunderstand your reply...thank you for your clarification.

I honestly thought that I had read on a previous post that the cruise company did make up the shortfall....but of course I could have misread that too!
I'm sure I read this too janny444 and was told by 2 different crew members (butlers) that P&O make up the shortfall. They get paid the same each pay packet so I'm not sure what's true

As we're usually away over Xmas we give extra in a Xmas card as a present and leave the autotips on not sure If we would do the same an other time if year though!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
188 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
This is the problem, there is a lot of supposition, somebody knows somebody who...., or I have spoken to my friend the cabin steward. Everybody thinks they know what happens, but nobody is sure. P and o expect us to make up their staffs wages, in whatever form. While I am not against tipping, it’s the people who feel they are doing a civic duty by ensuring the staff are paid. It would be very interesting to hear directly from the staff their own feelings.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Sunderland England
9,794 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Millers
This is the problem, there is a lot of supposition, somebody knows somebody who...., or I have spoken to my friend the cabin steward. Everybody thinks they know what happens, but nobody is sure. P and o expect us to make up their staffs wages, in whatever form. While I am not against tipping, it’s the people who feel they are doing a civic duty by ensuring the staff are paid. It would be very interesting to hear directly from the staff their own feelings.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
The crew are either happy with their salary or have signed to say they will not discuss salary to passengers.
The thing that puzzles me is after crew leave their employment we never hear any of them speaking on social media about their salaries which means they are either very loyal or more likely the cruise lines look after them well.
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I agree that none of us know for certain and two different people asking the same question of P&O can get two different answers, but I simply cannot accept that P&O makes up the full value of all the service charges, regardless of how many people don’t pay. That would make no sense whatsoever and defies all logic.


If you think about it, if that were the case, then effectively that is a guaranteed salary and no different to them being paid a much higher basic wage. And if that were true, the whole concept of service charges is debunked as there would be no need for them.


I just cannot see any way in which that could possibly be true, but if someone can provide hard evidence (other than heresay) that P&O is telling blatant lies as to how their service programme works then I will stop paying the service charge in a heartbeat.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
UK
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by grapau27
I wonder how many on here would go on Saga,not us.
You may or may not want to use any particular cruise line, but I was pointing out the fallacy that you tried to create, probably from ignorance, that if P&O incorporated grats into the cruise cost, they would be first. They would not, just to dispel that myth you were trying to create.
UK
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
I agree that none of us know for certain and two different people asking the same question of P&O can get two different answers, but I simply cannot accept that P&O makes up the full value of all the service charges, regardless of how many people don’t pay. That would make no sense whatsoever and defies all logic.


If you think about it, if that were the case, then effectively that is a guaranteed salary and no different to them being paid a much higher basic wage. And if that were true, the whole concept of service charges is debunked as there would be no need for them.


I just cannot see any way in which that could possibly be true, but if someone can provide hard evidence (other than heresay) that P&O is telling blatant lies as to how their service programme works then I will stop paying the service charge in a heartbeat.
I can believe that P&O do pay a regular pay packet, despite grats. The point of having them is that it looks like the cruise is cheaper than it really is and so P&O squeeze a bit more out of the punter, probably on a sympathy vote that the staff will be short without the autograts.
Sunderland England
9,794 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by AnOnymously
You may or may not want to use any particular cruise line, but I was pointing out the fallacy that you tried to create, probably from ignorance, that if P&O incorporated grats into the cruise cost, they would be first. They would not, just to dispel that myth you were trying to create.
You can't really compare P&O with Saga.
A lot of people on here now agree incorporating tips into the cruise price would be a good thing.
For P&O to do that would be very proactive and show they are listening to what people want and no one would begrudge them highlighting the fact.
Some of P&Os best customers are posting here and I'm sure they like me are not ignorant.
1,575 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I belueve it would be impossible for P&O to incorporate gratuities into their fares, because Carnival HO would not allow such a decision to be made, because of the ramifications it would have on the rest of their brands operating out of Europe.
Everyone writing on here about contacting P&O management need to realise that P&O is, in effect, just a sub-brand of an American conglomerate. It's like complaining to Cadbury's that their chocolate isn't the same anymore - in the global market place, individual national preferences don't count.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
UK
663 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by grapau27
You can't really compare P&O with Saga.
A lot of people on here now agree incorporating tips into the cruise price would be a good thing.
For P&O to do that would be very proactive and show they are listening to what people want and no one would begrudge them highlighting the fact.
Some of P&Os best customers are posting here and I'm sure they like me are not ignorant.
Never tried to compare them, just pointing out the fallacy you tried to create, obviously through ignorance that at least one other company got there first, that P&O would be market leaders by introducing this idea.

Though I am sure many posters on here use or will use Saga. Have you tried it or are you just surmising this as you imagined that no cruise line offered integrated grats?

Just for interest Silversea also include grats in their prices. But I guess you might think people on here would not be able to afford them and so that is not comparable either. Perhaps the only cruise line one can compare with P&O is P&O.
Scotland
1,318 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by wowzz
I belueve it would be impossible for P&O to incorporate gratuities into their fares, because Carnival HO would not allow such a decision to be made, because of the ramifications it would have on the rest of their brands operating out of Europe.
Everyone writing on here about contacting P&O management need to realise that P&O is, in effect, just a sub-brand of an American conglomerate. It's like complaining to Cadbury's that their chocolate isn't the same anymore - in the global market place, individual national preferences don't count.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
I understand that they include them in the price on P&O Australia because tipping is defiantly not part of their culture and so they just won't be forced into doing it.

Genuine question - is P&O Australia a stand alone or part of the Carnival group?