Food "souvenirs"...

Camelia-

Over the years I've stopped buying magnets, keychains, etc as souvenirs to take home as a momento of my trip. (probably because I couldn't fit one more magnet on my fridge!!). Instead I now love to look for local food shops/grocery stores and buy something unique to the place I'm visiting. Alot of times it takes a bit of patience to hunt through the usual things that I can get at home until I find something that is made and consumed locally. Most times I find local sweets or baked goods or chocolates or little bottles of olive oil etc that I can pack easily in my suitcase.

For those who know Australia and New Zealand well..is there anything that you can point out to me which I can look for when I visit the local supermarkets? I've already heard of Vegemite of course! I do really want to bring a little bit of these two places home with me to share with family....

Thanks!

Tim Tams are good, but if you live in the States, you can buy those any day of the week in Target stores.

Having lived in Australia for several years, I have a LONG list of favorites. Here's a few that you won't find anything like in the U.S.:

Cherry Ripes (best...candy....ever)

Anzac Biscuits (Arnott's is a common brand)

Lamingtons (a cake, so it would be difficult to pack without crushing)

Jaffas (candy)

Montes (cookie)

This is a question to the world travelers out there

I too, am sick of taking home taky souvenirs, and would like to take home a sampling of local tastes. I have bought coffee, spices, but, I was at Disney World and upon going through security, I was stopped and my bag gone through because I put boxes of Mickey cookies in it, and were deemed suspicious.

When traveling abroad, is it an issue to bring back non perishable, non fruit, dried meats and such into the U.S.? What kind of items would you suggest?

I too, am sick of taking home taky souvenirs, and would like to take home a sampling of local tastes. I have bought coffee, spices, but, I was at Disney World and upon going through security, I was stopped and my bag gone through because I put boxes of Mickey cookies in it, and were deemed suspicious.
I wouldn't worry about this. It's possible that security wanted to take a closer look because it showed up on the scanner as organic matter, and they simply wanted to verify what kind of organic matter it was and to ensure that it wasn't an organic explosive. The same thing can happen if you take a lot of paper.

Mmmm taking food home may be an issue unless it’s commercialky packaged, so how about a jar of vegemite.
Once upon a time, that would have been a great suggestion for someone coming back to the UK from Australia. Now you can buy Vegemite in just about every supermarket in London! But I don't know if the same applies to the US.

thanks very much for those suggestions. I live in Canada so I'm not sure if even the Tims are available! I will certainly look out for those. As to the other question about the difficulty in bringing these kinds of things into the country..I think if they are properly packaged and vacuum sealed they shouldn't be a problem. I was in Italy earlier this year and bought a lovely piece of vacuum sealed .Parmesan Cheese and on the Customs declaration form I indicated that and I wasn't even stopped (In Toronto at least). I know I can get that cheese here..but the price was a whole lot better over there and besides whenever I took a bite I relived my trip!!

Over the years I've stopped buying magnets, keychains, etc as souvenirs to take home as a momento of my trip. (probably because I couldn't fit one more magnet on my fridge!!). Instead I now love to look for local food shops/grocery stores and buy something unique to the place I'm visiting. Alot of times it takes a bit of patience to hunt through the usual things that I can get at home until I find something that is made and consumed locally. Most times I find local sweets or baked goods or chocolates or little bottles of olive oil etc that I can pack easily in my suitcase.

For those who know Australia and New Zealand well..is there anything that you can point out to me which I can look for when I visit the local supermarkets? I've already heard of Vegemite of course! I do really want to bring a little bit of these two places home with me to share with family....

Thanks!

They are expensive but delightful to eat,and uniquely Australian;I suggest you invest in Macadamia Nuts you wont be disappointed

So, what sort of taste is it?
Like the nectar of the gods. Particularly on hot buttered toast on a cold snowy day. ;)

You may have guessed that one of us prefers one, and the other one prefers the other.

But to those who are uninitiated in Marmite v Vegemite controversies, they are of course reasonably similar.

We bought dulce de liche biscuits in Buenos Aires at the airport duty free shop.

, they were vacuum packed and sealed and confiscated in Sydney as a milk product. Apparently when they are sold the airline is notified and you are targeted as you go through customs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have a son that works at a vineyard in NZ so I bring back wine, much cheaper than buying at home and we (in Ontario) don't get the NZ variety in our local stores.

Also, last visit brought back bars of Whittakers chocolate...so many varieties, made in NZ, and it's tough to find that at home without paying an arm and a leg!!

Also brought back the ingredients for Lolly cake...can't find them here and it's become one of our favourite desserts!!

Leaving for NZ in ten days...so excited to return!!

Ok I confess. I've never heard of Lolly cake but I'd love to know more! You must be super excited to be so near your departure date! Are you flying directly to Auckland?

We are flying Pearson to Vancouver and staying overnight then flying direct from Vancouver to Auckland. We'll be renting a car for the first few days to explore the Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga and then meeting up with the son and daughter-in-law in Auckland for three days exploring the city as well as an overnight in Waiheke Island. Then we'll fly to Queenstown and drive to Clyde where they currently live and stay for a nice long visit. Sooo excited!!!

Lolly cake is very popular in NZ and the first time I had it I was a little confused about the name as well but it's truly delicious and I'm sure the native New Zealanders would agree. I believe the name comes from the little candy-like bits in the cake which are called Lolly's...but I could have that totally wrong lol!! Anyway, when you're there you should try it at a cafe or homemade as I've had it!

We bought dulce de liche biscuits in Buenos Aires at the airport duty free shop.

, they were vacuum packed and sealed and confiscated in Sydney as a milk product. Apparently when they are sold the airline is notified and you are targeted as you go through customs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is absolutely not true! I can assure you that Argentinian duty free shops are not notifying any authorities about their biscuit sales. Once they have your money they do not give you another thought. How do they know you haven’t scoffed them on the flight?

To the OP, my advice is to check with the Canadian quarantine authorities about what foods you can import. If in doubt when you get back, declare it. Many years ago even Vegemite was a prohibited import to the US.

My vote goes to Fruchocs, addictive chocolate covered apricot balls. I think they may only be available in South Australia but it’s worth the trip ;p

We brought home chocolate fish and pineapple chunks from NZ.

For Australia I agree with the previous suggestions...timtams, cherry ripe. You can also buy caramello koalas and furry friends (choc with native Australian animals on the wrappers) as gifts for kids. Would you get sealed ground coffee through customs I wonder? I'm a big fan of Campos coffee which is based right here in Sydney and sold at many cafes. Will make your whole suitcase smell delicious too! David Jones (it's a fancy department store) food hall might also have some nice things to choose from...thinking jars of Australian conserves, chutneys, that kind of thing.