QV "Remastering" in 2018 ??

new to cuising

Much has been written about QM2 remastering, ( a strange word - not my description) but has anyone heard anything about QV remodelling in 2018.

On a recent QE voyage a number of passengers were saying they'd heard that QV is to have a remodelled stern so she has the same outline as the QE giving more rooms at the aft and a larger open deck.

Given that QV is 10 years old in 2018 and will return from her circumnavigation of South America in early April - a full month before QE and QM2 return from their world cruises, could there be any truth in the rumours?

Yes. I noticed QV has no voyages between 5 May and 4 Jun 2017 so it could be happening then I suppose, but I would have thought that this would be a more popular cruising period than between 23 March 2018 (when QV returns) and 10 May 2018 when QE and QM2 return.

Given Cunard's recent history of all three queens being in Southampton at the beginning of May, if the refit does happen in 2017 one wonders what QV will be doing in April 2018. There's nothing listed in the latest brochure which covers the period ending May 2018 for QV after 23 March 2018.

Nine weeks out of service in a twelve month period would not be very profitable.

I only hope they won't be redesigning the stern of QM2 in future years although it would solve the issue of diners in Todd English / Verandah having to watch the bathers as all open decks would be lifted to same level!!!:rolleyes::eek:

Edited by new to cuising

According to the Cunard website, Q V is due for a refit in June next year.

Well spotted! I hadn't noticed that, so the rebuild is next May which still leaves the question why is QV effectively returning home early from her southern hemisphere exploits in 2018

Well spotted! I hadn't noticed that, so the rebuild is next May which still leaves the question why is QV effectively returning home early from her southern hemisphere exploits in 2018

possibly to do early season cruises to the Med and Canaries?

We sailed on QV in June and were told by the Maitre'D that the refit is due Spring 2017. They are changing the stern from a graduated look to a straight look, same as QE, and the cabins in this new area will be Britannia Club cabins. We were in a Q6 stern cabin and were also told at the same time after the refit there would be no stern cabins in the Queens Grill category and therefore we should enjoy it while we could!

We were in a Q6 stern cabin and were also told at the same time after the refit there would be no stern cabins in the Queens Grill category and therefore we should enjoy it while we could!

Strange.

We're also fans of the high up Q6's (8165 on QV).

We have 2 booked on QE both 8181 which is nearest to QV equivalent.

If they are changing the shape of QV, why wouldn't they adopt the same layout as QE with Q1's, Q5's and Q6's all at the blunt end? Where else would they go?

Stewart

We had two stern cabins (Q5 and Q6) booked on QV for November and December 2017 which is post refit! We have since swapped them for a longer QM2 trip, but they were definitely there.

The Commodore told us this May that the refit is next May, that the stern is being altered in line with QE and that there WILL be a Chart Room on board "somewhere"

Edited by cruiseluvva

Oh please, no.

The stern of QV looks quite elegant and nicely proportioned. The back end of QE looks like a car ferry. The only benefit is that if you're in the best suites there's no-one looking down from above but it's a small price to pay.

Oh no as well .How could Cunard do that ? , they will look like another block of flats. Also I have booked a Q5 at the back for Nov post refit and no one told us we couldn't have it !

We were told by our Butler [always a good source of information] QV wiil be very similar to QE after the refit. Q1, 5 and 6 suites will still be on the stern.

The Commodore told us this May that [...] there WILL be a Chart Room on board "somewhere"

I would not like to start this discussion again, but let's hope that the Chart Room will remain eventually where it is, as Cunard officials have promised in the past.

As it is, it is one of the most beautiful places on board and ideal for a pre-dinner drink, as it is adjacent to Britannia restaurant. Moreover, its removal would take away valuable space from the many in favour of the few (appr. 5%).

Actually the Chart Room is for many people the main reason to prefer QV over QE, which has sacrificed it in favour of Britannia Club.

Cunard, please find a place 'somewhere' else for Britannia Club and leave the Chart Room where it is.

Afraid not. He confirmed the Britannia Club will be where the Chart Room is now.

For those in the UK, the link below from the Cunard UK website shows the deck plans post the 2017 refit (together with the pre-refit plans). Obviously this could change, but the Chart Room becomes Britannia Club on the plans.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Documents/2017-18-deck-plans/QV-deck-plans-2017-18.pdf

Will

If true, it is very sad that the beautiful Chart Room will be gone. It is a jewel on the ship's crown.

However, if it has to be removed, Images appears to be a nice substitute. It is adjacent to the upper level of Britannia restaurant, so it is convenient for a pre-dinner drink. Perhaps it could share the same bar with the Midships Lounge.

Now that there is no need for a photo gallery, this space, seeming always deserted, could thus find a proper use.

Yes. I noticed QV has no voyages between 5 May and 4 Jun 2017 so it could be happening then I suppose, but I would have thought that this would be a more popular cruising period than between 23 March 2018 (when QV returns) and 10 May 2018 when QE and QM2 return.

Given Cunard's recent history of all three queens being in Southampton at the beginning of May, if the refit does happen in 2017 one wonders what QV will be doing in April 2018. There's nothing listed in the latest brochure which covers the period ending May 2018 for QV after 23 March 2018.

Nine weeks out of service in a twelve month period would not be very profitable.

I only hope they won't be redesigning the stern of QM2 in future years although it would solve the issue of diners in Todd English / Verandah having to watch the bathers as all open decks would be lifted to same level!!!:rolleyes::eek:

There's a 2 day cruise on 23rd March 2018 from Southampton to Hamburg.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qv/2585-v810-sou1-ham1/

According to the Port of Gibraltar, QV is due there on April 29th 2018.

Sun 29 Apr 18, 08:00 QUEEN VICTORIA 14:00

Any bets on a late offer Med Cruise?

Well spotted! There are numerous entries for both QV and QE in Gibraltar in 2018 so maybe that will mean neither will be doing the usual long stint in the Med from May until November that year. :) I think they only stop at Gibraltar on the way back to Southampton.

http://www.gibraltarport.com/schedules

Well spotted! There are numerous entries for both QV and QE in Gibraltar in 2018 so maybe that will mean neither will be doing the usual long stint in the Med from May until November that year. :) I think they only stop at Gibraltar on the way back to Southampton.

http://www.gibraltarport.com/schedules

we have stopped at Gibraltar as first stop as well as last stop