Just a Quick Dress Code Question for a Cunard Newbie

prescottbob

Hello,

We're giving the QM2 'a go' (a 7 day TA, NYC-Southampton) next season (end of May) and I only planned to pack (I'm talking evening formal & informal wear) just a standard tux & a white dinner jacket. I'm assuming a white dinner jacket would not be out of place at that time of year.

No urgent reply required really. I suppose we'll also need to plan on packing 'skivvies' and such to make it all 'complete' and, dashing, of course.:)

Be well & safe travels.

Bob:)

Not a problem. Some ultra-traditionalists may tut that you're not in the tropics, but it IS a vacation and you are on a ship. I have worn and seen many ivory DJs on crossings through the years. [Actually, I've only owned two, but you get the point :)]

Hello,

We're giving the QM2 'a go' (a 7 day TA, NYC-Southampton) next season (end of May) and I only planned to pack (I'm talking evening formal & informal wear) just a standard tux & a white dinner jacket. I'm assuming a white dinner jacket would not be out of place at that time of year.

No urgent reply required really. I suppose we'll also need to plan on packing 'skivvies' and such to make it all 'complete' and, dashing, of course.:)

Be well & safe travels.

Bob:)

Dear Bob,

Congratulations and we believe you will enjoy the QM2 and all she offers.

Having taken two sailings across the Pond, we really experienced the traditional of a Atlantic Crossing.

We have too taken the appropiate clothing for daytime and evening wear preferring a Black Tuxedo for the number of Formal Evenings on a TA.

Thru our personal experiences, we have seen the traditional Tuxedos and passengers with even very Color Tux's. Yes, even those that brought out their White Tux Jackets. I personally have used my White Jacket on mostly tropical/Caribbean sailings.

People like to enjoy celebrating traditionally, colorful and different. Enjoy!

Not a problem. Some ultra-traditionalists may tut that you're not in the tropics, but it IS a vacation and you are on a ship. I have worn and seen many ivory DJs on crossings through the years. [Actually, I've only owned two, but you get the point :)]

I agree - rules on wearing white don't apply if you aren't perfectly sure about your current location.

So don't even think of bringing a sextant. ;p

You will probably be overdressed with a tux (or white dinner jacket) on the informal nights however if it does not bother you it probably will not bother anyone else.

FYI, I will not rehash it here however there was a very long thread (now closed) about the changes to the dress code. We did a short 5 day trip this July and the changes were not really seen or felt since it just rolled out.

I would ask you question again around January to see how the new dress code is playing out.