Aurora

JB9302

Yes I'm aware of that door. On all 4 cruises that we have been on Aurora we have been unable to use it as there is a steel door behind it which has remained closed (so very difficult for a wheelchair user to negotiate) and other times a makeshift A4 printed sign saying that the door wasn't in use - points I made to reception. We were last on Aurora in March, so it may have improved and we shall definitely check when we are next on her in September. Thanks for flagging it.

That inner, steel door is incredibly heavy and would need to be automated to use it, a waiter opened it for me last week as I was struggling with it.

We enjoyed our cruise on Aurora back in June, after coming off the Sapphire Princess that morning (B2B cruises). We couldnt help but compare, but tried to get out of that mindset quickly. We did find it terribly British though, from the delicious and tasty, but quite boring and unadventurous menu - like going to your favourite Grandma's for dinner. The daytime activities for sea days were not so flash either, with the Trivia times also unashamedly British. It would have been nice to have some questions about the wider world than just Britian - I am sure you all learnt some Geography at some stage?? Cap'n Turnbull is a gem, we got to chat with him on deck one day, when he found out we were from Brisbane Australia, he mentioned he spent three years here at the helm of P & O Australia, and loved it. For us, P & O Australia is more for the ones who do not want to venture further than the Pacific Islands, it suited us for a very cheap last minute booking though.

The itinerary was what prompted us to book P & O UK, but on reflection, I dont think its the right mix for us antipodeans. Oh - one thing extra, the best daytime entertainment was on the very last day, out the back with the tiered balconies, everyone waving their British flags, and singing along - excellent!

We enjoyed our cruise on Aurora back in June, after coming off the Sapphire Princess that morning (B2B cruises). We couldnt help but compare, but tried to get out of that mindset quickly. We did find it terribly British though, from the delicious and tasty, but quite boring and unadventurous menu - like going to your favourite Grandma's for dinner. The daytime activities for sea days were not so flash either, with the Trivia times also unashamedly British. It would have been nice to have some questions about the wider world than just Britian - I am sure you all learnt some Geography at some stage?? Cap'n Turnbull is a gem, we got to chat with him on deck one day, when he found out we were from Brisbane Australia, he mentioned he spent three years here at the helm of P & O Australia, and loved it. For us, P & O Australia is more for the ones who do not want to venture further than the Pacific Islands, it suited us for a very cheap last minute booking though.

The itinerary was what prompted us to book P & O UK, but on reflection, I dont think its the right mix for us antipodeans. Oh - one thing extra, the best daytime entertainment was on the very last day, out the back with the tiered balconies, everyone waving their British flags, and singing along - excellent!

You are quite correct that P&O UK offers an unashamedly British product and that is the main attraction for many (including us), but I can see could be offputting for others, just as going on a cruise ship that was, for example, unashamedly American would be my idea of Hell!

As for the ‘entertainment’, particularly the daytime offering, it is also very British - but British from a previous generation. P&O is stuck in a time warp in this regard. My wife and I are in our 50’s and find that we are 20 to 30 years too young for most of it. We have been driven out of several very nice bars when a tedious (and amplified) quiz suddenly intrudes the air space. And if I hear “We’ll meet again” by Vera Lynn one more time I shall throw myself overboard.

That all said, we do still like P&O and the Britishness, but would love it to become 21st century (or even late 20th century) Britishness, rather than a constant nostalgia fest.

You are quite correct that P&O UK offers an unashamedly British product and that is the main attraction for many (including us), but I can see could be offputting for others, just as going on a cruise ship that was, for example, unashamedly American would be my idea of Hell!

As for the ‘entertainment’, particularly the daytime offering, it is also very British - but British from a previous generation. P&O is stuck in a time warp in this regard. My wife and I are in our 50’s and find that we are 20 to 30 years too young for most of it. We have been driven out of several very nice bars when a tedious (and amplified) quiz suddenly intrudes the air space. And if I hear “We’ll meet again” by Vera Lynn one more time I shall throw myself overboard.

That all said, we do still like P&O and the Britishness, but would love it to become 21st century (or even late 20th century) Britishness, rather than a constant nostalgia fest.

Priceless, I was on an Arcadia Baltic cruise and playing blackjack one evening At about midnight the band in the bar next door struck up 'Bluebirds over' I glanced round and bar customers were waving little union jack flags, I nearly died laughing. Apparently the average age on that cruise was 63 but the social age seemed 30 years older:eek:;p

Sadly Vera Lynn still seems to figure on a lot of cruises, but I do still live in hope that the entertainments team get the message after lots and lots of feedback from a lot of us.

Our worst case of that was on Oriana on the Northern Lights cruise last year. The age demograph was 50 - 60s, with significant younger ones and the older contingent very young minded and active....BUT the entertainment and talks were heavily war time oriented, culminating in the final night Headliners and 'We'll meet again' and the dulcet tones of the White Cliffs of Dover sounding out. We obviously didn't go.There were not many falling into that era and all the older ones were dismayed. Alongside this was the 'Adult Colouring In' group..... .

I really wondered which 20 year old had devised the programme... and nearly joined Selbourne overboard.

Sadly Vera Lynn still seems to figure on a lot of cruises, but I do still live in hope that the entertainments team get the message after lots and lots of feedback from a lot of us.

Our worst case of that was on Oriana on the Northern Lights cruise last year. The age demograph was 50 - 60s, with significant younger ones and the older contingent very young minded and active....BUT the entertainment and talks were heavily war time oriented, culminating in the final night Headliners and 'We'll meet again' and the dulcet tones of the White Cliffs of Dover sounding out. We obviously didn't go.There were not many falling into that era and all the older ones were dismayed. Alongside this was the 'Adult Colouring In' group..... .

I really wondered which 20 year old had devised the programme... and nearly joined Selbourne overboard.

Perhaps the 20-year old was little tongue in cheek, but like you, I do wonder who determines the entertainment programme across the fleet - and how they determine suitability for the perceived mix of passengers.

From cruises where lectures don't reflect the cruise (in 3 cruises to the area, never any lectures on the Geogrphy/Geology of Iceland when one would assume the passengers have some interest in the topic since presumably they've chosen to go there because of it's unique features), to outdated, repetitive offerings - even for an 'older' demographic. Most of us have moved with the times to a degree! And how could one of the England World Cup matches be scheduled to be shown in an area to seat about 50 - not in port either so everyone on board? Soon added another venue after the match had started - but such lack of foresight! Unbelievable - even as a non-football fan alarm bells were ringing when I read the Horizon the night before. Next match was shown in three venues including a main entertainment area but even so, they were all full. Lack of finger on the pulse, lack of initiative, or too prescribed from above? No idea, but I do feel entertainment needs a serious review. It's true that you will never please everyone but somehow it's all feeling rather flat at the moment.

I wish I knew too! We are 79 and 72 and find it skin crawling. Vera Lynn and flag waving is just ridiculous. But we find the sailaway parties cringeworthy as well. Waving arms and more flag waving. and the CD saying "are we all having a lovely time - wave your arms if you are " YUK

I really would like the entertainment to be a little more sophisticated. Daytime doesn't bother me, always happy out on the deck with a book or sunbathing or listening to music and watching the sea.

P&O do seem to be in a time warp but they do still appeal to alot of people.

The entertainment staff only need to do a little simply maths to realise that the war was over 64 years ago so most of P&O's current passengers don't remember Vera Lynn and The White Cliffs of Dover, indeed many of us were not even born.

We decided today that at 63 and 65 we are too young to be in an a floating retirement home and have gone back to Princess and booked one of their cruises next year instead of P&O. We still have one P&O booked for this year and one for next year but these may well be our last P&O cruises.

Princess is an easy choice for us as we have already done 19 cruises with them. We went on Celebrity 2 years ago and will be looking at them along with Princess for future cruises.

Perhaps the 20-year old was little tongue in cheek, but like you, I do wonder who determines the entertainment programme across the fleet - and how they determine suitability for the perceived mix of passengers.

Yes, it was somewhat tongue in cheek - coming from watching The Apprentice many times when the task of these young wannabees is to design or plan something for a certain older age range and they get it hopelessly wrong ;p

I don't find P&O like a floating old people's home, but I do think they could upgrade the entertainment. I generally enjoy the Headliners b ecause I like the musicals, apart from the White Cliffs at the end. We don't go to that. The solo singers are always too loud and not very good. Comedians are hit and miss and I hate magic shows. During the day my husband usually likes the lectures and I play quoits if I can, bit of fun.

I enjoy most of the entertainment as it is, it seems to suit most of the pax the way the venues are packed each evening.

I think that’s more about having a captive audience in a confined situation (a ship) with very little else to do after dinner! That said, we have been quite surprised on our last few cruises to find that there are still an awful lot of seats empty at curtain up.

My thoughts entirely, and I am 71! P&O have always seemed to cater for a generation older than me.

Yes agree with all that. We find a lot of the entertainment doesn't appeal, so we just don't go. But we love being on a ship, we find the food totally acceptable, like some of the shows and basically have a great time.