Weather for British Isles Cruise

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:37 PM.
46 Posts
Joined May 2017
My family is going to book a British Isles cruise in 2019. Cunard is offering one in early June and one in mid-August.

On average which time frame has a chance for better weather in the British Isles?

Where I come from I can say that early June has a higher chance for rain than August.

All help is appreciated.
Gloucestershire
358 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Impossible to say. Early June this year would have been fantastic, today in August it’s raining. Next year could be the complete reverse! I would concentrate more on the difference between cruising June or August. Early June is outside of the school holiday period in the UK, and so attractions will be less busy and few children around. August is the peak UK holiday period so all tourist attractions will be crowded. I would have thought that the cruise cost might be lower in June as well, if cost is a relevant factor for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oriana 2018
Queen Mary 2 2018
Queen Mary 2 2018
Oriana 2017
Queen Victoria 2017
Rhapsody of the seas 2016
Niuew Amsterdam 2015
Oceana 2014
Queen Elizabeth 2014
Costa Atlantica 2012
Costa Deliziosa 2011
Arcadia 2010
Oriana 2009
Century 2008
Aurora 2008
Navigator of seas 2007
Golden Princess 2006
Aurora 2005
Oriana 2004
Oriana 2003
149 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Britain is an Island and like all islands it has a dry and a rainy side - although not in a prototypical manner like on smaller islands.. Have a look at the climate charts on Wikipedia (at the article for the city). If you are in Fort William it will be most probably rainy, if you are in Edinburgh it will be drier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are two kinds of contemporary passenger vessels: The Queen Mary 2 and shoeboxes.
46 Posts
Joined May 2017
[quote=Bedruthen;56748070 I would concentrate more on the difference between cruising June or August. Early June is outside of the school holiday period in the UK, and so attractions will be less busy and few children around. August is the peak UK holiday period so all tourist attractions will be crowded. I would have thought that the cruise cost might be lower in June as well, if cost is a relevant factor for you.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Good to know about the school holiday schedule. In the US kids are back in school around mid-August. At this time the rates are the same for both cruises.
46 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Shuffleboard Dude
Britain is an Island and like all islands it has a dry and a rainy side - although not in a prototypical manner like on smaller islands.. Have a look at the climate charts on Wikipedia (at the article for the city). If you are in Fort William it will be most probably rainy, if you are in Edinburgh it will be drier.
Thanks for the tip on the climate charts, that’s a great idea.
Iowa
1,866 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I would be inclined to pick the itinerary that appeals to me the most rather than the time of year. The two voyages we are discussing are voyage V914 (June 4-16, 2019) and voyage V920 (Aug 11-23, 2019).

Both of these itineraries call at Greenock (Glasgow), Liverpool, and St Peter Port.

The June voyage calls at Oban, Kirkwall, Dublin, and Cobh (Cork).

The August voyage calls at Newcastle, Newhaven (Edinburgh), Invergorden (Inverness), and Belfast.

Personally, since I have never been to Oban or Kirkwall, I think I'd pick the first itinerary. But if you haven't been to Edinburgh, that's a pretty big draw for the second itinerary. Perhaps others here can offer suggestions as to which of those two itineraries they would prefer and why, if that would be at all helpful to you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

UK
22 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Kirkwall is a must visit. Orkney is at its best in June, and a visit to the ancient sites of Maes Howe and Scara Brae will stay with you always.Oban is a bit rough around the edges, but the scenery is wonderful. Dublin is unique, but takes a bit of exploring to find the best bits. I haven’t been to Cork.

Invergorden is rather dull, unless you want to visit the Glenmorangie distillery. Edinburgh is fantastic, and warrants much more than a day visit.
Newcastle is interesting, but maybe not a must see. Belfast is worthwhile, if only for the amazing Titanic museum (book ahead).

For scenery and history, June wins. But August is the Edinburgh festival and the city will be jumping!
Scotland
124 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
I would choose June for both the weather and the itinerary. As has been said the long hours of daylight in Scotland in June makes it worthwhile, though not sure why another comment states Oban is rough around the edges. It has a fabulous position on the west coast and is surrounded by wonderful scenery, well worth a visit.

Edinburgh in August will have a buzz about it because of the festival BUT, will be so busy it detracts from the enjoyment of the visit.

Also, they will bring out the pipe band to play you off when you leave Greenock and, from the cheers one hears from the ship it always seems to be appreciated.
UK
22 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Maybe rough around the edges is too harsh - it’s a real town without any frills is more what I meant. And that West Coast scenery is unbeatable.
London, England
4,106 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
I would choose June for the long days and the fact schools haven’t closed for summer holidays. Theoretically, places should be less crowded, but who knows these days. I would also prefer the itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
216 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
If you have looked at the recent weather patterns over the past few years, there is no answer. I agree with the suggestions to go with the itinerary you prefer.
Cambridgeshire
3,225 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by hehny
If you have looked at the recent weather patterns over the past few years, there is no answer. I agree with the suggestions to go with the itinerary you prefer.
The itinerary is the deal maker in my opinion too. Edinburgh New Haven is ideal for visiting the Royal Yacht at Leith. Newcastle is good for learning a new language.

Lol John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria, Pacific Princess