Tour Information for Guam, Saipan, Rabaul, Honiara, Okinawa - Have you been?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:13 AM.
Boynton Beach, Florida
3,979 Posts
Joined May 2002
Leaving on the Pacific Princess July 25 to visit the Islands of the Pacific Theatre of World War 2...I have had some response from a few local tour agencies and am waiting for replies to arrange itineraries with private driver/guide ....but would appreciate information from anyone who visited these islands??? (May 17,2004 sailing - any past passengers?? ) Time is getting short - so would very much appreciate your help...Thanks! Renee (aka GotToCruise)
NH
410 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
We will be going on the same cruise in April '06 and woul appreciate it if you had info to share. Private tours taken? Things not to miss?
Janet
Lincoln CA USA, 95648
12,739 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
We did a variation of the Pacific Theater cruise on Sky Princess, San Francisco to Sydney, 9-00. That was last voyage as Princess ship - now P&O Australia's Pacific Sky.

We were very fortunate to have a Brit, Bob Reynolds on board as guest lecturer and tour guide. He is connected with the Pacific Battle Monuments Commission.

On Rabaul, we went to a museum in the jungle, with WW2 artifacts, and an
Australian War Dead Cemetery, both done very well. A volcano was spewing ash opposite side of the harbor, and we all had surgical masks so didn't breath in the ash. Ship put up special filters for their air intakes.

On Saipan, Reynolds had arranged a special tour and Remembrance ceremony at the War Memorial there - very moving.

On Guam, we went to a Naval Museum, I believe at Apria. I was a little disappointed with that one - very small and not particularly well done.

Our ship did not go to Okinawa - but I recommend Shuri Castle. I spent 2 and 1/2 years there with the Army in the 50s.

We were supposed to go to Honiaria (sp), but there was some sort of uprising on Guadalcanal at the time, so we skipped that port and went into Vanuata (Port Vila) instead, and visited a Coast Watcher's plantation, and former air base.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael