Petra Jordan

The drive is about 90 minutes each way from the port.

You do a fair amount of walking. But you don't have to go the entire distance. You walk around a mile to a mile and 1/2 down hill to get to many key spots. You can walk a lot more than that to see other areas but you don't have to. If it becomes too hard you can ride in a carriage part of the way or on a horse or even a camel.

I have been there a couple of times. If it sunny and there are hot tempeatures it will feel more strenuous than if it is on the cloudy side and with lower temperatures. I have experienced both.

If you can do it I highly recommend this. We want to go back for a third time. It is truly one of the wonders of the world.

Keith

I am planning an overnight side-tour to Petra as part of my land trip to Israel next March. I have read estimates of the walk (from various tour agencies) through the Siq being anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes. I'm not sure which is the more accurate figure (possibly both are, depending on where you start walking??).

Also, I've read that some tours include a hike (800 steps!) up to Ad-deir monastery at Petra. That sounds pretty strenuous; I wonder if anyone else could comment, if they've done it? I think only the tours that are in Petra for more than a day include this....

From the entrance to Petra (where you purchase tickets) to the city is about 1 1/4 miles. It is a fairly smoothe walkway and slightly downhill but basically flat. There are horse drawn carts you can hire if the walk is too muuch.

At the end of this walk is the Treasury, the best known Petra signt. The far end of the city is another mile or two walk. Again there are animals you can hire to take you thru the city.

At the end you have to walk back the way you came. I think it was about 5 miles round trip. As mentioned above, it can be very hot so be sure you have plenty of water.

I am planning an overnight side-tour to Petra as part of my land trip to Israel next March. I have read estimates of the walk (from various tour agencies) through the Siq being anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes. I'm not sure which is the more accurate figure (possibly both are, depending on where you start walking??).

Also, I've read that some tours include a hike (800 steps!) up to Ad-deir monastery at Petra. That sounds pretty strenuous; I wonder if anyone else could comment, if they've done it? I think only the tours that are in Petra for more than a day include this....

The reason for a range in time is three-fold. It depends how fast you walk, whether or not you stop at different points along the way (if you are with a tour guide you will stop quite a bit so he/she can point out key areas) and how far you go. The Treasury, as Paul noted, is the most famous part of Petra and it is only around one mile from the entrance. There are many other sites that are further back. Most people do not make it to the Monestry. You don't have to be there the entire day to do that but you need more time to get over there than some tours allow.

Keith

OK, I'm a senior citizen, a tad over-weight and not in great physical shape...we did Petra as an extension after two+ weeks in Egypt and it was fantastic. It is as strenuous as YOU want it to be! If you want to walk through the Siq, you can. I opted to ride so we hired a chariot. This is a round trip ride and you have an appointed time for the return trip. It takes you from the entrance to the Treasury and was quite an experience! Downside is once the horse starts moving, he doesn't stop till he gets there. Forget taking pictures during the ride, you'll be too concerned about your kidneys anyway! We got to the Treasury about 1/2 hour before the walkers in our group so we had plenty of time to walk back into the Siq and take some pictures. Then we walked through Petra with our guide to the restaurant. The ground is reasonably flat, there are bathrooms in at least two spots and what you see is so mind-blowingly amazing you won't notice the heat or the tired. After lunch I really couldn't walk anymore (I was coming off a triple ankle fx) so we hired a camel just outside the restaurant and rode back to the treasury in high style! We didn't ride the camels in Egypt so this was our one and only experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world! Just don't try to pet the camel after you get off, they're really not too friendly! Again, back at the treasury in plenty of time to take some more pictures and walk around in the Siq some more before our chariot showed up to bring us back to the entrance. If you can walk the whole distance, do it.....but if you can't, don't let that stop you! :D

I just wanted to add that if you are up to doing Petra for my wife and myself it ranks in the top five or so places we have ever visited.

If you can do this in a private tour versus a large tour it will make it even more interesting. My wife and myself mostly do group tours through the ship or in some places we just go into port on our own. With Petra, we booked it through our ship but did a private tour. You could also have a TA put together a private tour for you. It was just so nice to have the guide to ourself and to go at whatever pace we wanted to and to ask all of the quetions we wanted to ask.

But either way if you are up to it, Petra is a treasure to see and I can't say enough about it.

Keith

I just wanted to add that if you are up to doing Petra for my wife and myself it ranks in the top five or so places we have ever visited.

If you can do this in a private tour versus a large tour it will make it even more interesting. My wife and myself mostly do group tours through the ship or in some places we just go into port on our own. With Petra, we booked it through our ship but did a private tour. You could also have a TA put together a private tour for you. It was just so nice to have the guide to ourself and to go at whatever pace we wanted to and to ask all of the quetions we wanted to ask.

But either way if you are up to it, Petra is a treasure to see and I can't say enough about it.

Keith

Keith, I know you've traveled extensively. I'd love to know what other places you would put in your top 5 or so?

If you can do this in a private tour versus a large tour it will make it even more interesting.

Keith

Great! We will be spending 2 nights there after our Egypt land tour and will have a day and a half to explore.

http://www.1worldtours.com/Petra-Tours.htm

It has always been on my bucket list along with Mach Picchu (already done). Looking forward to a great experience in November. Would love to see the rest of your list. Antarctica is on my list!

Edited by dileep

Great! We will be spending 2 nights there after our Egypt land tour and will have a day and a half to explore.

http://www.1worldtours.com/Petra-Tours.htm

It has always been on my bucket list along with Mach Picchu (already done). Looking forward to a great experience in November. Would love to see the rest of your list. Antarctica is on my list!

Dileep: If you were able to do Machu Picchu, you should have no trouble doing Petra! And like the others, Petra is one of the most wonderful places we've ever been and is truly a world treasure! a full day and a half should be plenty. I believe the restaurant I mentioned is very near the monastry. I know our guide mentioned it and it was past the colonnaded roman street. It was just wonderful.

Keith, I know you've traveled extensively. I'd love to know what other places you would put in your top 5 or so?

cruisemom42, another wonderful place that would be part of our top 5 was sailing off Antarctica which we did in 2007. At the time this had been our second time sailing the route between Valaparaiso and Buneos Aires but our first time sailing off Antarctica. We were very fortunate to have calm seas and relatively good weather. It is hard to put into words how unique the experience was. We saw lots of sea creatures even from the ship (ten whale at once), lots of beautiful scenery, ice bergs in all different sizes and shapes. We felt like we were on another planet. This was very special.

To me the world is so very special and there are very unique places to visit around the world.

In the Middle East, I couldn't believe how beautiful Israel is and I am amazed to see these forests and to see how beautiful they are and to learn that these trees are part of the millions and millions of trees that were planted in Israel. Just amazing. We were also very moved spending time at the Western Wall. I felt something quite unique that I will never forget.

Keith

cruisemom42, another wonderful place that would be part of our top 5 was sailing off Antarctica which we did in 2007. At the time this had been our second time sailing the route between Valaparaiso and Buneos Aires but our first time sailing off Antarctica. We were very fortunate to have calm seas and relatively good weather. It is hard to put into words how unique the experience was. We saw lots of sea creatures even from the ship (ten whale at once), lots of beautiful scenery, ice bergs in all different sizes and shapes. We felt like we were on another planet. This was very special.

To me the world is so very special and there are very unique places to visit around the world.

In the Middle East, I couldn't believe how beautiful Israel is and I am amazed to see these forests and to see how beautiful they are and to learn that these trees are part of the millions and millions of trees that were planted in Israel. Just amazing. We were also very moved spending time at the Western Wall. I felt something quite unique that I will never forget.

Keith

Thanks for your thoughts. The more I travel, the more I want to see. :) I'm busy trying to get to the most strenuous places while I still have the necessary stamina to fully enjoy them. I'm thrilled to be going to Israel and Petra next year. Also on my list to visit soon is Angkor Wat.

Thanks for your thoughts. The more I travel, the more I want to see. :) I'm busy trying to get to the most strenuous places while I still have the necessary stamina to fully enjoy them. I'm thrilled to be going to Israel and Petra next year. Also on my list to visit soon is Angkor Wat.

Excellent thoughts and I feel the same way. There is so much to see on this planet. We also have the same approach. We are spending much more time traveling outside the USA and to more remote locations as we want to do these things while it is easy for us to get around. Then when

traveling gets more challenging we'll spend more time traveling in the USA.

I hope you enjoy Israel and Petra as much as we have.

Two wonderful places.

Keith

Thank you everyone for the responses, especially Hydrokitty because you seemed to address my major concerns. My knees are getting old so extensive climbing is the real issue for me. I would like very much to attempt this trip and it sounds like it is doable with common sense. Thanks again.

We are also doing the same. Angkor Wat is a must see!

Thank you everyone for the responses, especially Hydrokitty because you seemed to address my major concerns. My knees are getting old so extensive climbing is the real issue for me. I would like very much to attempt this trip and it sounds like it is doable with common sense. Thanks again.

You are more than welcome. If you want more information feel free to contact me at chydro564@yahoo.com. I've been helped so many times through trip advisor/cruise critic that I really enjoy passing it on. (Not to mention the friends I've made!)

We are going to Petra next year ...it is our hopes to be able to walk the walk :eek:...both ways.....in the event that we have to hitch a ride by Chariot or Camel :D.....what form of currency should we have with us to cover this eventuality.

Any idea of the costs for a "One way" ride ? :confused:

Cheers

Ken & Jan

We are going to Petra next year ...it is our hopes to be able to walk the walk :eek:...both ways.....in the event that we have to hitch a ride by Chariot or Camel :D.....what form of currency should we have with us to cover this eventuality.

Any idea of the costs for a "One way" ride ? :confused:

Cheers

Ken & Jan

It varies based on how far you go. USA currency is fine as are Euros or British Pounds.

They will never be happy how much you give them. Just negotiate.

Walk as much as you can because you will see and learn much more.

And it's much better taking a tour or a private tour with a guide.

Keith

It varies based on how far you go. USA currency is fine as are Euros or British Pounds.

They will never be happy how much you give them. Just negotiate.

Walk as much as you can because you will see and learn much more.

And it's much better taking a tour or a private tour with a guide.

Keith

Hi Keith...many thanks for the input.

Ken