Royal Clipper-Grenadines

bosley8675

My husband and I are thinking of booking the 7 night Royal Clipper Grenadines cruise in January to celebrate my 40th birthday. I was on a large cruise ship once many years ago and wasn't a fan. I have a couple of questions/concerns. 1. Is it possible to explore independently at the various stops and not do organized tours? 2. Is there time to dine at local bars and restaurants instead of eating on the ship? 3. The only rooms available are category 2. Is it claustrophobic without having a large window or balcony? Any other helpful hints would be much appreciated before I commit to booking.

Yes, you are able to explore all destinations on your own. If guests will be tendered due to an anchor place, scheduled tender boats will run mostly at the full and half hour from the ship to shore and at the quarter and three-quarter of an hour back to the ship. You can easily plan your independent stay.

Dining at local bars and restaurants for lunch is possible at the most ports. Some stops are just at a beach, and at some of these stops there will be a beach barbecue arranged by the ship's kitchen.

Don't worry about cat. 2 cabins. All cabins are relatively tiny, but nice decorated and have all things you would expect at a cruise ship cabin or a hotel room. Your way out to open deck space needs about one minute time. We love balcony cabins on larger cruise ships, but never missed a balcony at Star Clippers ships. Due to the fascination of travelling on a sailing vessel, you will automatically spend more time as usual at the open decks - believe me. ;-)

We have been on the Royal Clipper several times in the Caribbean - including the Grenadines. (1) Yes - you can explore independently. (2) Yes (3) On all (or all but one) of our trips we have been in Cat. 2 - at our own request (ask for one amidships). Cabins are well fitted out with good quality fittings.

Apart from sleeping etc. you are unlikely to spend much time in your cabin. Instead - on deck watching the action, the tropical bar (the main "social" area), on the open part of the bridge and adjacent thereto, maybe once in the net under the bowsprit, maybe once climbing the mast to the crows nest (with safety equipment).

A couple of suggestions:-

1. On the day of embarkation, boarding usually commences at 4.00 p.m. Dinner usually starts at 7.30 - suggest you go in then (the Maitre D will help you to a suitable table) and be out by about 9.45. Make your way up to the area by the open part of the bridge ready for sailaway at 10.00. The sails are being raised as the ship leaves the port and then you will have the Trade Winds coming from astern of the ship - yes, real sailing. Listen as well as watch - can be emotional !!!

2. In St Lucia (time permitting) definitely go ashore at Marigot Bay and walk around there and, maybe, have a snack / lunch in one of the cafes. Marigot Bay is a very historic bay for sailing ships to shelter from adverse weather (should be very good weather for you in January).

The Clippers are a place to relax. The daily programme will be delivered to your cabin the previous afternoon / evening. Drink prices in the bar and the restaurant are reasonable. It is often said that you meet very interesting people on the Clippers - we have and we are still in touch / friends with some of them

Have a great time