Princess pulled the bait and switch on our beverage package. Do I have any recourse?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:22 AM.
Arizona
3,346 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by spookyfudge
Come on no[w], the 15 drink package per person is plenty of booze, coffee, water for the day. We had it and I think on the best day we each had 8 drinks total (water, coffee, wine, booze). You dont want to get stupid drunk and not enjoy the cruise. If you do, save your money and go to a bar and have a blast, it will be cheaper even with a cab ride to boot.
Be careful with your wording. What you said is easily taken to mean the per day limit for ALL drinks is limited to 15 total. While this may not be what you meant, statements like this continue to keep people incorrectly thinking the limit is for all drinks when the limit is only for alcoholic drinks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Pacific Princess - B2B2B Los Angeles to FLL to Dover via Iceland to Dover via Norway - 2018
Emerald Princess - B2B Norway and Grand Mediterranean - 2016
Ocean Princess Final Voyage - Grand South America 2016; Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2015
Royal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 2014; Ruby Princess - Canada and Colonial America - 2014;
Ocean Princess - Singapore to Dover around Africa - 2014; Dawn Princess - Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand - 2013
Sapphire Princess - Los Angeles, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Los Angeles - 2012; Golden Princess - RT from Seattle to Alaska - 2012
Diamond Princess - Singapore to YVR 2012; Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2010-2011
Coral Princess - FLL - YVR plus Alaska RT 2010; Star Princess - South America and Antarctica 2009
Costa Classica - Genoa to Venice 2008; Costa Fortuna - Caribbean 2008
Costa Atlantica - Eastern Med 2006; Norwegian Dream - Baltic 2004
Norwegian Dream - Miami to Rome 2003; Norwegian Wind - HNL to YVR 2002
Norwegian Wind - Caribbean 2001; Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean 1996
Norwegian Windward (now the Wind) - So Cal Coastal 1993; Carnival Jubilee - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Festivale - Eastern Caribbean 1988
League City, TX
42,575 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by pablo222
The original poster booked very, very early, while the old rules were in effect.

People who booked later booked under the new rules, so were not suprised by any rule change.

So, I don't find it suprising that not everyone on the same cruise complained.
But the problem is not that the OP and family reached the 15 alcohol drink limit a day. The problem is that the ship incorrectly thought the 15 drink limit also included non-alcohol drinks. I think if the ship had properly only placed a limit on the alcohol drinks, the OP would have had no problem with the switch in package.
Philippines
880 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by caribill
But the problem is not that the OP and family reached the 15 alcohol drink limit a day. The problem is that the ship incorrectly thought the 15 drink limit also included non-alcohol drinks. I think if the ship had properly only placed a limit on the alcohol drinks, the OP would have had no problem with the switch in package.
But many seem to be missing the point here. Doesn't matter if it is 15 drinks total, 15 alcohol alcohol drinks, or to many drinks, to little dinks, etc. The OP purchased a package that did not have a limit, Princess Cruise Lines changed it after the purchase from a unlimited package. This is deceptive advertising and or bait and switch which is not allowed under the rules from the credit card processing services.

And since the order is credit card processing rules first, cruise contract second, the cruise line is not allowed to do this. Not debating if 15 drinks is to many or not enough, just what Princess did.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Remember you can adjust or remove the Daily Gratuity Service Fee, Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) , up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment.
UK/USA CO
2,744 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by Expat Cruise
But many seem to be missing the point here. Doesn't matter if it is 15 drinks total, 15 alcohol alcohol drinks, or to many drinks, to little dinks, etc. The OP purchased a package that did not have a limit, Princess Cruise Lines changed it after the purchase from a unlimited package. This is deceptive advertising and or bait and switch which is not allowed under the rules from the credit card processing services.

And since the order is credit card processing rules first, cruise contract second, the cruise line is not allowed to do this. Not debating if 15 drinks is to many or not enough, just what Princess did.
Completely agree, it's basic miselling
229 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
I think the OP received the package for free...it was included in the deal. The fine print allows Princess to change any of their inclusions later and there is no repercussion. That is the real issue. Why would one think otherwise? Was it a good tactic on Princess' part? I would say not. But it was within their right and part of the original deal. Other than that, the problem seems to have stemmed from the Princess Employee not clearly stating the "rules" of the new beverage package...either due to their ignorance or because they thought the "alcohol" limit was inferred. For that, I can see where the OP had a complaint that should have been addressed immediately with another representative. Recourse at this point is likely a useless endeavor. However, writing to Princess or calling and speaking to Customer Service may result in an open hand to mend the fence. That would be my recommendation...no way would I try to get a refund via my credit card company!
Nevada
7,014 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I would have thought that regardless of what the representative told the OP, that the 15 alcoholic drink limit would have been regulated by the computer system, just like it is for every person holding the drink package, whether purchased or included as a booking perk.

It seems unlikely that a glitch occurred that only effected the OP and his traveling companions, and nobody else. If others had been effected, surely one of them would have been aware of the actual limits of the package and would have complained until it was fixed.
504 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
The minute they used the package, they effectively accepted the new terms so no case for compensation. But will they get it if they continue whining? Probably. Sad.
264 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by USCcruisecrazy
I think the OP received the package for free...it was included in the deal. The fine print allows Princess to change any of their inclusions later and there is no repercussion. That is the real issue. Why would one think otherwise? Was it a good tactic on Princess' part? I would say not. But it was within their right and part of the original deal. Other than that, the problem seems to have stemmed from the Princess Employee not clearly stating the "rules" of the new beverage package...either due to their ignorance or because they thought the "alcohol" limit was inferred. For that, I can see where the OP had a complaint that should have been addressed immediately with another representative. Recourse at this point is likely a useless endeavor. However, writing to Princess or calling and speaking to Customer Service may result in an open hand to mend the fence. That would be my recommendation...no way would I try to get a refund via my credit card company!
The OP did not receive the drink package for free, it was PART of their cruise fare, and princess changed the terms after they accepted the OP's money. Which is all that's needed for a legitimate credit card chargeback.

Let's put this in different terms. You book a cruise and you're supposed to have unlimited food. But the cruise line changes their rules and suddenly says, you can ONLY have 2 meals a day, tracked by your card, included in your fare. All other food will be charged a la carte. You find this out after you've already gotten on the ship.

Now under those circumstances, would the pax be justified in "whining" (as other posters have stated) and doing a chargeback?
Vancouver, WA
1,191 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by justafem
The OP did not receive the drink package for free, it was PART of their cruise fare, and princess changed the terms after they accepted the OP's money. Which is all that's needed for a legitimate credit card chargeback.
From a cruise confirmation booked as part of the Sip and Sail promotion:
"SIP & SAIL promotion comes with a choice of a free all-inclusive beverage package..."

From the Terms and Conditions of the All Inclusive Beverage Package:
"Terms and conditions of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package are subject to change."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vancouver, WA
1,191 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
In any case, I think we're all arguing the wrong point here. The point is the OP was told (and assumedly was enforced) a 15 drink limit per day - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic alike - which is against the actual policy. They mentioned that none of their party ordered 15 alcoholic drinks a day, it would be interesting to know which ship and sailing this occurred on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
264 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by SharkieRools
From a cruise confirmation booked as part of the Sip and Sail promotion:
"SIP & SAIL promotion comes with a choice of a free all-inclusive beverage package..."

From the Terms and Conditions of the All Inclusive Beverage Package:
"Terms and conditions of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package are subject to change."
Arguing semantics does not make it "free". Or I could walk into any store during a b1g1 free promotion and just get the "free" product.

The OP (and anyone else who booked under this promotion) did NOT receive what was paid for under the original agreement.

I do love how you decided to clip my post, to make it seem less reasonable.

You have your opinion and it's not valid under credit card rules. Keep copying and pasting, that'll make you right.
Florida
2,214 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
the OP could have cancelled , by doing nothing, the OP accepted the new terms...and if had already paid, got the PBP at the old AIPB pricing

I had a AIPB in my cart, not paid...had to pay the new price and terms for the PBP

bummer, huh?
Vancouver, WA
1,191 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Arguing semantics does not make it "free". Or I could walk into any store during a b1g1 free promotion and just get the "free" product.

The OP (and anyone else who booked under this promotion) did NOT receive what was paid for under the original agreement.

I do love how you decided to clip my post, to make it seem less reasonable.

You have your opinion and it's not valid under credit card rules. Keep copying and pasting, that'll make you right.
I copied this entire post, does that make you feel better?

They DID receive what they paid for under the original agreement which states: "Terms and conditions of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package are subject to change."

Keep spouting nonsense, that'll make you right.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
751 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Did you book directly with Princess or did you go through a TA. If you went through a TA, it is proper customer service for them to go over all the rules and conditions
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1)Grand Princess 2002
2)Radiance of the Seas 2004
3)Dawn Princess 2005
4)Caribbean Princess 2006
5)Coral Princess 2007
6)Emerald Princess 2007-US Maiden Voyage
7)Enchantment of the Seas-2008
8)Ruby Princess-2008-Maiden Voyage
9)Carnival Pride-2009
10)Crown Princess-2009
11)Disney Wonder-2010
12)Emerald Princess-2010
13)NCL Epic-2010
14)Star Princess-2011
15)Monarch of the Seas-2011
16)Disney Dream-2011
17)Allure of the seas-2012
18)Crown Princess March 31 2012 S. Caribbean
19)Oasis of the Seas Dec 22,2012 W. Caribbean
20)Royal Princess Oct. 29,2013
21)Carnival Dream Jan 18,2014
22)Disney Fantasy March 22,2014
23)Caribbean Princess May23,2014
24)Celebrity Equinox March 27,2015
25)Crown Princess July 4,2015 Alaska
26)Regal Princess Nov 3,2015
27)Regal Princess Feb 28,2016
28)Allure of the Seas June 5,2016
29)Royal Princess Mar 10,2017
30)Regal Princess Nov 15, 2017
31)MSC Seaside Dec 23,2017
32) Disney Fantasy Mar 10,2018
33) Regal Princesss Nov 18,2018

Chico, California
11,964 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Both my 28 day cruise last October and the 14 day cruise last March were originally the AIBP. Both were changed to the PBP. Not an issue for us. Yes, we felt it was unfair to change what was promised. It really didn't affect us negatively at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Vancouver, WA
1,191 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by Thrak
Both my 28 day cruise last October and the 14 day cruise last March were originally the AIBP. Both were changed to the PBP. Not an issue for us. Yes, we felt it was unfair to change what was promised. It really didn't affect us negatively at all.
We booked under Sip and Sail for our upcoming November cruise which was changed from AIBP to the PBP as well. The only issue I see is we used to like ordering a large Pellegrino with dinner, now we'll just keep ordering small ones as needed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
264 Posts
Joined Dec 2015

They DID receive what they paid for under the original agreement which states: "Terms and conditions of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package are subject to change."

I know credit card rules and if the OP decides to do a chargeback, they will win. It has nothing to do with princesses terms, it's all about credit card acceptance and the change to the terms after accepting payment.

Consumers should know their rights and this is definitely one of the times the customer is right. What they choose to do with that information is their choice.

Princess has in their contract that they can do whatever they want (see my example of the food). Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it fair and doesn't make it unchallengeable.

The same argument can be made for the coffee cards!

These posts are going to disappear soon. I'm out.
Vancouver, WA
1,191 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I know credit card rules and if the OP decides to do a chargeback, they will win. It has nothing to do with princesses terms, it's all about credit card acceptance and the change to the terms after accepting payment.

Consumers should know their rights and this is definitely one of the times the customer is right. What they choose to do with that information is their choice.

Princess has in their contract that they can do whatever they want (see my example of the food). Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it fair and doesn't make it unchallengeable.

The same argument can be made for the coffee cards!

These posts are going to disappear soon. I'm out.
Yes, we've seen a plethora of posts of how successful everyone has been challenging the change from AIBP to PBP

In any case - it looks like the OP real complaint is about the miscommunication from the front desk that the package was limited to 15 total alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks a day and the apparent enforcement of these limitations. Still would be interesting to know which ship/sailing this occurred on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Somewhere On Earth
2,396 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I find it difficult to believe the bartenders enforced a 15 per day limit on all drinks: non-alcohol and alcohol. If they had, would there not be a huge outcry from almost all pax with the beverage package?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sent from my cave using smoke signals after rubbing two sticks together to make fire.
229 Posts
Joined Sep 2017

You are exactly right. It's called Terms and Conditions and there is no semantics issue involved. If someone doesn't read the small print and still signs the paper, they are responsible for the outcome. Princess could have maybe done more to those effected by the change, but it was not an obligation on their part. Arguing with faulty logic (like they may limit you to 2 meals) is hilarious. No where in the contract does it state Princess may at any time limit your meals...but it did specifically state the drink package may be changed.

I would still like to know if the OP was actually turned away trying to order a drink when they had less than 15 alcoholic drinks or if they just assumed they couldn't have another. It just seems sort of strange.