2020 prices recently released - the old question: best to book now or later?

Harry Peterson

This is a first for me - early bookings to take advantage of the allegedly unbeatable low prices available at launch. Bookings made, all fixed up for 2020.

Looking at the prices carefully, though, I see that even at 0800 on launch day the prices are higher than those originally released by P&O earlier this month. They seem to have lured people in with some pretty attractive looking prices, but then increased them before any bookings were possible.

On top of that, they actually increased still further during the launch day itself - I'd assumed they stayed constant at least for the whole of that one day.

Today they're up still further, which surprises me a little - the joys of dynamic pricing!

So if you are going to try to get a good price, it seems that you have to book early on day one - and even then you'll pay more than the pre-announced prices.

Anyone else noticed this?

This is a first for me - early bookings to take advantage of the allegedly unbeatable low prices available at launch. Bookings made, all fixed up for 2020.

Looking at the prices carefully, though, I see that even at 0800 on launch day the prices are higher than those originally released by P&O earlier this month. They seem to have lured people in with some pretty attractive looking prices, but then increased them before any bookings were possible.

On top of that, they actually increased still further during the launch day itself - I'd assumed they stayed constant at least for the whole of that one day.

Today they're up still further, which surprises me a little - the joys of dynamic pricing!

So if you are going to try to get a good price, it seems that you have to book early on day one - and even then you'll pay more than the pre-announced prices.

Anyone else noticed this?

Generally happens for say a maiden but usually the prices stay the same , for a few days. If the price has gone up already then that Cruise is booking well. Supply and demand as I have been saying for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pre-registering, either direct with P&O or through a TA, will secure you the price quoted at launch. Once booking opens the ‘fluid pricing’ kicks in

That makes sense, and I did pre-register. Didn't realise it fixed the price that way.

There's still a mismatch between the prices originally announced by P&O and those actually booked, though. Not a huge amount, but around £150 pp on a suite, for example.

I booked a cruise on Aurora before on general sale as Baltic status. If I had left it until today, I would have saved myself £141.00 so it proves that not always cheaper on day one!! ☹️

Goodness - that knocks down the theory, often repeated in these forums, that the launch price can never be bettered!

We are now Baltic level and pre registered so booked on the day bookings opened. I looked at the cruise we've booked today and the price has already gone up a significant amount. We are fussy about choosing our own cabin and my TA got us our first choice - very pleased.

I'm looking at one in October 2020 (hubby's 60th) and to my surprise it is actually £50pp cheaper than launch! I'm guessing it may be because it's so far away no-one is showing interest yet!

Ours in Oct 20 has gone up. Not a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't booked anything yet for 2020 but have been looking at a cruise on Aurora in June 2020 as it is our silver wedding anniversary. Just checked prices today and the select price has reduced by £173pp (minisuite) although the early saver has remained the same. Not going to book yet and will probably wait until we have returned from our cruise in November 2018 on Ventura - 7 weeks and counting.

I have just checked the 3 cruises we have booked. 2 on Aurora in May and June and one on Arcadia in September. All 3 have increased in price since we booked. We prefer to get our first choice of cabins and dining and always book on launch day. If the price decreases so be it but at least we have the cruise we want at a price we are happy with and the cabin and dining of choice.

We booked for this Xmas on Oriana on launch day and now the price has risen by almost 100%.

Edited by kersh