Summary of Menu Changes-Freedom of the Seas

Thanks to ckrobyn's posting of menus on her recent 8 night cruise on Freedom. This may not be everything, but here are most of the changes that were made.

Giovanni's:

This was already reported, but the Filet has been removed from the menu.

MDR:

-Escargot is not an every night option. (most but not all nights)

-Shrimp Cocktail is not an every night option either...was not on the menu as a starter more than 3 nights.

-Aged Hand-Cut Manhattan Strip Steak is no longer an every night option as a classic...only appeared on the menu 2 or 3 nights.

-Prime Rib has been removed and replaced with Slow-Roasted Beef Striploin.

-Pan-Fried Fillet of Barramundi is now Pan-Fried Silver Corvina.

-Roast Duck has been removed and replaced with Rosemary Roasted Half Chicken.

-Filet of Beef Tenderloin has been removed and replaced with a Seared Sirloin Steak.

-Surf and Turf(Petit Filet with baked Jumbo Shrimp) has been removed and replaced with Braised Beef Duo.

-White Misobrushed Cod Fillet is now a Cilantro-Crusted Cod Loin.

-Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder was added to the Pimiento menu.

-Veal Scaloppine Oscar with Crab has been removed and replaced with a Breaded Pork Chop.

-Roasted Rack of Lamb is removed.

-Garlic Shrimp no longer being served with the Broiled lobster tail.

-All Desserts appear to be unchanged.

I know we will not go hungry, but overall, I would say I hate the changes that have been made. I can't imagine that many reported that the garlic shrimp ruined the lobster tail, or that having Shrimp Cocktail and the Manhatten Steak as an option every night made their dining choice difficult. I will venture a guess and say that this menu translates into less cost for Royal.

Are you seeing these same changes on other ships? Thoughts?

These are the new menus that were posted from the Allure mid October. They are very similar to what Robyn had posted. The entre section was the same but there were some minor differences in the appetizers and always available menus. There was also one night that was completely different menu.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2413902

That's what they want you to do!

Lately the restaurants seem to be quite full. Now I think it is more about cost cutting in general than trying to drive people to the restaurants. They will make more in the end by not having to supply prime rib for 1000 people than by adding a few more to the specialty restaurant.

Friends of mine just off the LOS, had that seared sirloin steak - asked for rare and both described it as the thinnest piece of leather they had ever seen/tasted.

Not great for an upsell...

I will be on it this weekend, we have 4 specialty dinner bookings already - pretty sure we're not making it to the MDR.

I was on the FOS last week and was very disappointed with the less than stellar food in MDR, we also ate dinner in the Windjammer several nights and that was a grim experience. I'm not going into detail about the cut backs in food, but when I weigh myself today, I lost three pounds.

FWIW, I have had a lot of success asking for shrimp every night, even if it's not on the menu.

That was true on recent Grandeur cruise, BUT, bring tweezers to dinner so you can pick them up. Magnifying glass wouldn't hurt either.

George in NY