On-board flight check-in

LDWtk

Hi, our cruise is at sea the day before our flight home. We aren't paying for internet service onboard the ship. Is there a business office or away to check-in for our flight home without incurring huge fees or do we have to wait until we're back in port? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, our cruise is at sea the day before our flight home. We aren't paying for internet service onboard the ship. Is there a business office or away to check-in for our flight home without incurring huge fees or do we have to wait until we're back in port? Thanks!

If you are on Southwest, you can opt for Early Bird check-in.

Otherwise the other options are good.

You could get someone reliable and trustworthy to do it on your behalf (but give them all the necessary info which may include passport, etc.)

Back in the day, you'd just check-in for your flight when you walked into the airport. Is that not possible anymore?

Yes, but there are advantages, such as avoiding being denied boarding especially if you have no airline status and/or on a cheap fare/ward ticket. There is still some element of first in, last out.

Back in the day, you'd just check-in for your flight when you walked into the airport. Is that not possible anymore?

You still can and if you do check in on the ship, you still have to go to the kiosk at the airport to print your luggage tags. Can't figure out why people go to so much effort to check in while they are still on the ship.

DON

You still can and if you do check in on the ship, you still have to go to the kiosk at the airport to print your luggage tags. Can't figure out why people go to so much effort to check in while they are still on the ship.

DON

If you're on Southwest, you end up in the C group, since there's no assigned seating. I do what Clarea does, and pay for early bird check-in and then print the boarding pass when I check my bag.

Roz

DON

They want the earliest boarding group possible. Helps when the plane is overbooked, making sure you'll be boarded, helps make sure there's still space in an overhead bin since you won't be seated last.

With Southwest it's critical to get earliest boarding since there's no seat assignment.

Since you are on Celebrity, I can't answer regarding internet access. I would recommend to spend the $15 and get early bird check-in (assuming you are on Southwest). That way you don't have to be concerned about it. Why worry about one more thing? You're on vacation :)

They want the earliest boarding group possible. Helps when the plane is overbooked, making sure you'll be boarded, helps make sure there's still space in an overhead bin since you won't be seated last.

With Southwest it's critical to get earliest boarding since there's no seat assignment.

I did not see anywhere in their post where the OP said that they were on SW. As several others have said, w SW you pay the $15 to avoid having to check in on board.

DON

I did not see anywhere in their post where the OP said that they were on SW. As several others have said, w SW you pay the $15 to avoid having to check in on board.

DON

You had said you didn't see why "people" want to check in. I thought you were referring to several post-ers not just the OP.

Many people don't want to pay SW $15 when they could checkin online instead. Even paying ship internet fee is cheaper than $15.

I’m the OP. I’m flying American. I usually try to check-in to my flights as soon as the window opens in hopes of not being in the last zone to board. I’ve been on flights where after already boarding folks ended up having to check their carryons because the overheads were full.

I was hoping I could check-in Friday for my Saturday flight home but I guess I’ll just wait until we arrive back in Miami. I was also curious as to whether or not the Equinox had a business center similar to a hotel where I could print a copy of my boarding pass. Call me anal but I always worry that I’ll have phone issues when I’m at the airport so I always carry a paper copy as a backup. I’m sure it will be fine. Thanks for everyone’s input!

I’m the OP. I’m flying American. I usually try to check-in to my flights as soon as the window opens in hopes of not being in the last zone to board. I’ve been on flights where after already boarding folks ended up having to check their carryons because the overheads were full.

I was hoping I could check-in Friday for my Saturday flight home but I guess I’ll just wait until we arrive back in Miami. I was also curious as to whether or not the Equinox had a business center similar to a hotel where I could print a copy of my boarding pass. Call me anal but I always worry that I’ll have phone issues when I’m at the airport so I always carry a paper copy as a backup. I’m sure it will be fine. Thanks for everyone’s input!

In my experience, when you do your online check doesn't set what boarding group you get. Most airlines assign boarding groups based on where your seat is. First class; Business class; economy rear of plane; mid plane; front for the most part.

I agree with Schmoo, check in time with American means nothing. It’s based on your class of service, seat location on the aircraft and sometimes, elite level.

If you check in last on business, or first international, you’ll still be the first to board.

As others have pointed out, time of check in has nothing to do with boarding group on AA. I am gold on AA and have their top credit card and those along with if you are in biz/first class effect what boarding group you get. (as a slight off topic aside) Honestly, while I have early boarding, I find it so much easier to just use a small "personal item" as my carry on (Usually my small camera bag) and put if under the seat in front of me and board near the end and not worry about bin space. Relaxing in the lounge until its time to go is much more relaxing than standing in the line with a bunch of other people. Then getting bumped into as everyone drags all their luggage down the isle. :rolleyes:.