LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

Greetings from Vancouver International Airport - 6:00 a.m. After innumerable security checks, we are in the Air Canada Lounge waiting for our United flight.

The trip that I have been dreading and anticipating is upon us. Really looking forward to being back on the Mariner ..... this time with G.M. Andreas and C.D. Lorraine.

Looking forward to many adventures -- not looking forward to the heat.

I'll be reporting the good and the not so good and will encourage others to report in as well. I have heard from friends currently on the Mariner and they are having a great experience.

More tomorrow. As Mr. Rumor would say, I just wanted to "set the table"

Greetings from Vancouver International Airport - 6:00 a.m. After innumerable security checks, we are in the Air Canada Lounge waiting for our United flight.

The trip that I have been dreading and anticipating is upon us. Really looking forward to being back on the Mariner ..... this time with G.M. Andreas and C.D. Lorraine.

Looking forward to many adventures -- not looking forward to the heat.

I'll be reporting the good and the not so good and will encourage others to report in as well. I have heard from friends currently on the Mariner and they are having a great experience.

More tomorrow. As Mr. Rumor would say, I just wanted to "set the table"

Great to see that you are on your way at last.!..this 25day cruise will be fabulous, i'm sure.

Have a great time and hope it's not too hot and humid for you.

Jackie, have a great cruise. Look at it from a positive side, you will be able to show off that new bikini you bought just swim in the pool not the river,you can experience the mariner before refit,you will experience "T" for the first time,it will be warm and not raining. Enjoy and looking forward to your reports!

Jackie and Dennis.

Enjoy your adventure. Don't worry about the Explorer. We will be taking care of that ship for you next week. Flying to Madrid tonight.

Forget about the heat. Remember, you will, all too quickly, be back into winter weather. Relax and have a splendid time.

Hugs

Sheila and Herb

Thanks for all of the well wishes. Some of the posts really made me laugh!

Sitting in the United Lounge in Houston. We haven't flown United for years and have heard negative things about them. I must say that their lounge is dramatically better than American. Eating a nice salad and a soft drink (savings the alcohol for later). Hoping that our hotel (that also has poor reviews) will be as satisfying as United has been (although their onboard food would not meet the requirements of any of our kitties).

Don't think that I mentioned that we received a last minute up-sell offer (this week). That will make the 25 nights (and the celebration of becoming Titanium) even better.

If I ever get the approximately 180 pounds of luggage unpacked once we get onboard, I'll post from the ship. I have both my laptop and iPad so all I need is some decent connectivity.

My DH is telling me that my break is over. Time to get ready for the next flight.

Sitting in the United Lounge in Houston. We haven't flown United for years and have heard negative things about them. I must say that their lounge is dramatically better than American. Eating a nice salad and a soft drink (savings the alcohol for later). Hoping that our hotel (that also has poor reviews) will be as satisfying as United has been (although their onboard food would not meet the requirements of any of our kitties).

Don't think that I mentioned that we received a last minute up-sell offer (this week). That will make the 25 nights (and the celebration of becoming Titanium) even better.

If I ever get the approximately 180 pounds of luggage unpacked once we get onboard, I'll post from the ship. I have both my laptop and iPad so all I need is some decent connectivity.

My DH is telling me that my break is over. Time to get ready for the next flight.

How exciting!!....safe travels!!

180 Pounds ! How many months will you be gone ?:cool:

In Miami ...... just finished the most wonderful Germany restaurant -- around the corner from the Hyatt Coral Gables (the hotel with the awful reviews that Regent put us in).

So, I promised to be honest. Here it goes. The flight from Houston to Miami on United was really great. The lounge in Houston was excellent. Although we paid for this First Class flight with points, we will definitely consider United over American Airlines for our transatlantic cruise next November.

There is a German restaurant around the corner from the Hyatt (note: it is not a Hyatt Regency but is a Hyatt Hotel). It is very informal -- picnic tables inside and outside of the restaurant. Had great German beer and amazing Weiner Schnitzel (likely misspelled). The portions were very large so we shared the dinner. So yummy!

There are 200 Regent guests staying at this hotel plus the ones at other hotels.

So, the first "Regent guests" that I saw were grouchy ...... and the poor man used a walker. Please don't take this wrong and consider the fact that I used a walker after my knee replacements surgery. I have no clue why someone that is disabled would take an Amazon cruise where most of the Amazon ports are tender ports and there is rain/mud, etc. Must say that I am happy that five of us will be doing a private excursion in Manaus as, In my opinion, this is not the place for people with disabilities. Note: If I did not regain almost 100% of the use of my knee, I would not be here.

So, Silver Sweethearts - we almost never have a Master Suite. We had two upsells on the Voyager that took us to a Master Suite and one Explorer cruise that was so reasonable that it was affordable. We booked a Mariner suite on this cruise and paid the upsell to get to a Grand Suite (note: the Grand Suites on Mariner are laid out much better than on Explorer). Not sure if I said this previously.

Now about the hotel with the horrible reviews. This is an older hotel but, so far, we have found nothing wrong with it. It is in an ideal location, the rooms are clean and well appointed...... no idea why they get such bad reviews.

Would love to reply to each of you .... I am happy and a bit overwhelmed by the positive feedback. Thanks to all of you.

I agree that 180 pounds of luggage is over the top. I bitched (can I say that?) every day to my DH about how heavy the luggage was becoming. My only defense is that we cannot take the Yellow Fever vaccination and choose not to take Malaria pills. So, I had to pack everything possible to keep mosquitos away. In addition to that, I needed several things (including a specific thermos) that would hold ice that I could use to refill my ice pack to keep me cool. This is in addition to a "necklace" that, when frozen, keeps you cool for about 4 hours and the Embr Wave bracelet that will help with coolness. When I say that I cannot tolerate heat, I truly mean it.

Do need to tell captjohn that I couldn't wear a bikini before my knee surgery and definitely cannot wear one now (who wants to see a 9" scar?). This will not stop me from snorkeling and MAYBE going into the water with pink dolphins.

More tomorrow -- really need to figure out where things are in the suitcases for tonight and what we will wear tomorrow (think that women will be able to identify but men won't....... )

Travelcat2, You have quite an audience for the upcoming posts of your Amazon adventure. I enjoyed reading about the packing and the preparation that goes into a trip of this length. Sounds like you are off to a great start with a great meal and decent stay before your voyage.

Take care and stay safe and enjoy a wonderful cruise into areas that few people will ever see. I am looking forward to your posts. Just be sure to enjoy the adventure more than worrying about keeping us posted. We will be here and looking forward to your impressions of this voyage whenever you have a few relaxed quiet moments to share with us.

Bon Voyage and safe travels Jackie and Dennis!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie: we are leaving the Mariner for you in tip top shape. Everyone knows you guys are arriving and look forward to seeing yous.

We have had a great cruise in spite of having some rainy and windy days. We had a pub crawl yesterday in Key West that was fun but not as good as the one in Malaga. The Boss broke her all time one day sleeping and napping record (16.5 hrs). She is going to kill me for posting it.

Please tell Olga we already miss her.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk