West Coast - Hawaii Roundtrip Cruisers Thread

karatemom2

Since many of the threads here seem specific to the NCLA Hawaii intineraries, I thought it would be nice for those of us who are cruising round trip from the West Coast to have a place to exchange information and excursion plans and ideas. We did a roundtrip cruise with Princess last December and are looking forward to a return trip this Christmas. Like most who choose the roundtrip itineraries, we really enjoy the sea days as well as the port days.

I thought it would be nice if we had a thread where we could share plans based on our cruise choices and Hawaiian port schedules. So fellow roundtrip cruisers, this thread is for you! Lets share the excitement and ideas to maximize our fun on our sea days and in Hawaii!

Hi Mary,

I'm Alice. I'm starting to plan a round trip LA Hawaiian cruise for February 2010, with hopes of lots of good whale watching. Right now, I'm planning on the Golden Princess, but that may change if I see a nice price on another cruiseline.

Besides whale watching, what I'm really interested in is one of the doors-off helicompter rides over the lava fields. I think that sounds like a lot of fun!

What do you have planned so far?

I love all the sea days on future Hawaii cruise. We are not going until March, so I hope you'll post a review when you get back.

Great idea for this thread

It is such a relaxing and fun cruise. One of the great things I learned recently is that David Cole who was our CD on the Diamond for our Hawaii cruise last year is returning for the Hawaii itinerary on the Golden this year. He loves Hawaiian culture and really incorporates it into the ongoing activities on the cruise. During the sea days there are lectures, ukulele lessons, hula classes, lei making, etc. There is also a wonderful band, Elua, that will be returning this year that plays Hawaiian music by the pool everyday and in one of the lounges in the evenings.

Hi Mary,

I'm Alice. I'm starting to plan a round trip LA Hawaiian cruise for February 2010, with hopes of lots of good whale watching. Right now, I'm planning on the Golden Princess, but that may change if I see a nice price on another cruiseline.

Besides whale watching, what I'm really interested in is one of the doors-off helicompter rides over the lava fields. I think that sounds like a lot of fun!

What do you have planned so far?

On our cruise last year we got very lucky and saw a mother and baby whale on our snorkeling excursion in Kona. We were there in late December which is still very early in the season so we were thrilled. You should have great viewing opportunities in February. The helicopter trip over the lava fields sound great too. Wish I could get my DH up in one!

Last year we did a snorkeling excursion in Kona, rented a car in Hilo and explored Volcanoes National Park, went to Pearl Harbor, USS Missouri and a luau in Honolulu, rented a car in Kauai and spent most of the day in Poipu and did a beach day at Kaanapali beach in Maui.

This year we want to do different things on each port day so we are still weighing our options. In Honolulu I know for sure we want to get to Diamond Head early and hike to the top and in Hilo I think we will head the other direction this year and explore Waipio Valley.

Did three RT from LA and San Diego to HI. Never been on the Golden. We like it so much that we are doing a B2B on the Golden Nov-Dec.

That is so amazing. How great to do B2B trips like that. There was a gentleman and his wife on our cruise last Christmas that was on the second of his B2B cruises. He said he would have happily stayed on for a third!!

Hi there:

Glad you started this thread. We did a r.t out of L.A. on the Diamond last Nov. and was one of the best cruises we have ever had. Lots of sea days which I love and we are cruising back to hawaii but on the Golden next oct. I will make sure that I find this thread to get info.

Thanks.

Marilyn

We're sailing Oct 15.

Love the four sea days.

We've booked (thru Princess) the NaPali Coast tour on Kauai, & the Volcanoes Natl Park on Hawaii. Nothing yet planned for the other islands, so if anyone has suggestions, feel free to send them our way.

Love the second four sea days.

Steve & Pete

Hi there:

Glad you started this thread. We did a r.t out of L.A. on the Diamond last Nov. and was one of the best cruises we have ever had. Lots of sea days which I love and we are cruising back to hawaii but on the Golden next oct. I will make sure that I find this thread to get info.

Thanks.

Marilyn

I agree Marilyn, out of all of our cruises our trip to Hawaii last year on the Diamond was the best of the bunch. We are counting the days until going back on the Golden in a few months.

We're sailing Oct 15.

Love the four sea days.

We've booked (thru Princess) the NaPali Coast tour on Kauai, & the Volcanoes Natl Park on Hawaii. Nothing yet planned for the other islands, so if anyone has suggestions, feel free to send them our way.

Love the second four sea days.

Steve & Pete

Those are great choices for Kauai and Hilo. We are also planning on doing the Na Pali Coast tour on our cruise this year. It is supposed to be spectacular. We spent a great deal of time at Volcanoes National Park last year and it was well worth it. It is really spectacular.

If you haven't been to Pearl Harbor yet, you might want to consider that for Honolulu. I highly recommend a tour of the USS Missouri as well. That was a big highlight of our trip last year.

We are booked on the Golden RT on Dec 10th and very excited..........love those sea days..............plus no airfare since we live about an hour from San Pedro.

I have us booked for a whale watching excursion on Maui and snorkeling on Kauai. Both booked through the ship.

Now I am researching to see if we can squeeze in a Luau while in Honolulu. It's cheesy but I really want to go to Germaine's Luau. We did that luau on our honeymoon in 1988 and this cruise is our 20th wedding anniversary present to each other, so I thought it would be fun to relive part of the honeymoon. I just need to figure out if we can get back from the luau without cutting it close. According to the website the Luau is from 6pm to 9pm and it takes about an hour to get back to where the ship will be docked.

Also, need to figure out what we should do in Hilo.

Janet

P.S. Thanks for starting this thread. I stopped coming into the port area of the boards because I wasn't finding pertinent information. :-)

Janet I understand about reliving honeymoon memories! We honeymooned in Maui nearly 24 years ago and stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. Last Christmas on our cruise we spent our day in Maui at Kaanapali Beach and we just had to make the trek to our honeymoon hotel. It was a long walk and our kids were complaining the entire way, but we were determined to find our cottage! It was a part of our history. So I don't think you are being cheesy at all. I hope it works for you. Since the ship is in port until 11 p.m. I think it might be doable. I would talk with them about it and see if they can guarantee your return to the pier by no later than 10:30 p.m.

In Hilo if you haven't been to Volcanoes National Park, that is a great way to spend the day. We also really loved Punalu'u Black Sand Beach. It is so gorgeous and we got to watch sea turtles basking in the sand.

I'm so glad I posted this thread as well. I think sometimes other posters here tend to be a bit discouraging to those of us doing the roundtrip itinerary due to what they see as inadequate port times so I know what you mean about finding pertinent information. Hopefully this thread will serve as a place where we can exchange ideas that work with our unique itineraries.

We are leaving out of San Diego in 10 days-can't wait. DH thinks he'll go nuts on the way over or back, but I'm looking forward to it.

Been to Oahu before on business, did alot of sight seeing so we're renting a car for the day & taking the Maitai sunset cruise that night. Did that 3 different times too.

Kauai - we're trying tubing down some mountain/lunch/swimming etc sounds different

Hilo- doors off helicopter tour just a tad nervous

Kona - morning sail/snorkel to pawai bay

Maui - rent a car for the morning & then afternoon sail/snorkel to coral gardens on four winds II

Wow, I'm tired just writing about it! There were other items that I wanted to do, but getting into port cause us to miss alot of the events. We'll just have to go over to hawaii again!

We are also sailing on Oct 15th and can hardly wait! My DH loves the sea days and I love the ports - well, actually I just love cruising - all of it :)

We are doing the same tours as SKF - the NaPali Coast tour on Kauai, & the Volcanoes Natl Park on Hawaii. DH is zip lining on Maui, I'll probably just shop around Lahaina. We are doing the Kos Hummer movie/Lost tour in Honolulu. I'll keep an eye on this post for further suggestions.

Carol

I am so happy to have found this, I too am tired of some of the comments posted.

This is our first trip to hawaii and I am so excited, going on the Golden in Nov. A little sorry they took out the stop at Kona but I am so looking forward to this trip.

MARY- can you tell me about the ukulele lessons do you need your own ukulele? I would love to try this

Hilo: my DH and I will be renting a Harley motorcycle 1 mile from the dock and the full day is just perfect for our time that we are docked, plan on visiting VNP and then just tour parts of the island, maybe up to the akaka falls any suggestions would be wonderful to hear

Honolulu: Pearl harbor is a must and all that goes with it, then maybe rent a limo with 6 other and do some sightseeing.

Maui: Booked a excursion through the ship for a snorkling tour, I was afraid to book through a private company, didn't think we could tender in, in time to catch an early tour out.

Kauai: Not sure just what we will do yet, maybe rent a car and do the island on our own all 8 of us (I know we will need a VAN.)again any suggestions would be wonderful.:cool:

Carol don't pass up the zip line, I did it in mexico and loved it even though I am a little fearful of heights, never even realized how high we were until about half way through and then it was no big deal. We all had a blast.

We are booked on the Golden RT on Dec 10th and very excited..........love those sea days..............plus no airfare since we live about an hour from San Pedro.

Janet I just realized after re-reading your post that you are on the cruise right before us. We can wave to each other! We also live about an hour from San Pedro in Ventura County so we love the convenience (and cost savings) of just being able to drive to the port.

Wow, I'm tired just writing about it! There were other items that I wanted to do, but getting into port cause us to miss alot of the events. We'll just have to go over to hawaii again!

The port days are full and exhausting (but fun!) That's why I love the sea days before and after. Four days over to prepare for four or five action-packed port days and four relaxing days on the way home to unwind. It is a vacatin where I actually come home rested. And because of that I don't mind going full out while we are in Hawaii. It's the best of both worlds!

We are doing the Kos Hummer movie/Lost tour in Honolulu. I'll keep an eye on this post for further suggestions.

Carol

Carol what is the Kos Hummer movie/Lost tour? Is that a ship's excursion or something you have found on your own? It sounds fun!

MARY- can you tell me about the ukulele lessons do you need your own ukulele? I would love to try this

They have ukuleles you can use for the lessons. Several people who really caught on and enjoyed playing ended up buying their own once we reached Hawaii. I was pretty hopeless with mine, but it was fun. Some of the passengers who attended regularly got quite accomplished by the end of the cruise.

We are sailing round trip from San Diego on Celebrity on Nov.6.From those of you who have done it before I would love to know the typical weather on the at sea days.I have started a packing list and just want to know what to include.Thanks so much for starting this thread.

Southern California weather at that time of year can be predictably unpredictable! We have everything ranging from warm Santa Ana Winds to rain. I have never departed from San Diego, but in my experiences leaving from San Pedro it is generally cool the first couple of days. I always pack something warm just in case. It is also typically a bit bumpy on the first day or two of the Pacific crossing. I sort of like the movement, it makes me feel like I'm really on a ship at sea! We left on December 18 last year and it was raining on our departure day. The first day was a bit cool and bumpy, but by the third day it was warm enough to use the outdoor pool.

Archived