Viking Romantic Danube Need More Information About Passau

NC Redhead

The Viking Customer Service Agent was vague about how long we would be docked in each location so I am turning to Cruise Critic for help. When the ship is docked in Passau, does it stay there all day until those on the Saltzburg tour return (almost 10 hour excursion) or does it move down the Danube and pick up those on this excursion at another location? And while I am asking, I welcome any advice on whether to stay in Passau for the excursion there or pay the extra money for the Saltzburg excursion. I really like the idea of seeing the Austrian alps, but mother is not keen on long motor coach rides (I believe this will be 2 hours each way).

NC Redhead

We sailed this itinerary this past Christmas/New Years.

Vilshofen /Passau was day two - Vilshofen in the early morning - sailed to Passau and spent the afternoon evening in Passau. The following day was Linz/Salzburg (morning in Linz/afternoon in Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov) OR full day Salzburg excursion. We did the morning Linz walking tour - lunch on board ship and then off to Salzburg. Motor coach ride was approx 1:45 each way - very comfortable coach bus and an EXCELLENT tour guide who made the time fly. It was a long day - back on board approx 7pm for dinner!

Unless your days are scheduled differently - this was our experience on the AMASerena.

Any questions - please feel free to ask. We had an amazing trip - so much so I am looking at sailings for this year!

Dear NC Redhead,

While we’re delighted to see you eagerly preparing for our upcoming journey together, we regret if there was any lack of clarity resulting from our recent conversation.

To access your booking and, based on your specific itinerary, provide you with the details you’re seeking, we welcome you to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, where we’re happy to help.

We look forward to speaking with you further, NC Redhead, and wish you a wonderful evening.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

The Viking Customer Service Agent was vague about how long we would be docked in each location so I am turning to Cruise Critic for help. When the ship is docked in Passau, does it stay there all day until those on the Saltzburg tour return (almost 10 hour excursion) or does it move down the Danube and pick up those on this excursion at another location? And while I am asking, I welcome any advice on whether to stay in Passau for the excursion there or pay the extra money for the Saltzburg excursion. I really like the idea of seeing the Austrian alps, but mother is not keen on long motor coach rides (I believe this will be 2 hours each way).

NC Redhead,

I am sure Viking will be able to help you via the given e-mail address. If you are nevertheless still unsure about whether to stay in Passau or not you could have a look at the tourism website: http://tourism.passau.de/Home.aspx

I find Passau a delightful town, it has some nice shops, cafés, a huge cathedral and great views when you go up to the fortress. I enjoyed the glass museum. From Passau by the way on a clear day you can see the Alps. Salzburg itself is not exactly in the Alps but at the foot of them, so, yes, they are close to the town.

It is a long day to Salzburg and back but if it is just a question of old bus versus comfortable bus then I am sure you will be fine as the companies use very modern ones. The ones Viking uses on the Rhine that I have seen really look good. I hope past cruisers of Viking agree.

I prefer Passau to Linz. I hope your Passau stay and the Salzburg excursion work out to your satisfaction.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

NC Redhead

Sorry - glossed over the reference to Viking in your question - so apologize for that :D

Either way - if you have any port specific questions would be happy to answer if I can.

Passau was charming - we did the "hike" up to the fortress. Would have loved to experience the city itself but only had the afternoon there and the ship left early evening.

Bob

NC Redhead

We sailed this itinerary this past Christmas/New Years.

Vilshofen /Passau was day two - Vilshofen in the early morning - sailed to Passau and spent the afternoon evening in Passau. The following day was Linz/Salzburg (morning in Linz/afternoon in Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov) OR full day Salzburg excursion. We did the morning Linz walking tour - lunch on board ship and then off to Salzburg. Motor coach ride was approx 1:45 each way - very comfortable coach bus and an EXCELLENT tour guide who made the time fly. It was a long day - back on board approx 7pm for dinner!

Unless your days are scheduled differently - this was our experience on the AMASerena.

Any questions - please feel free to ask. We had an amazing trip - so much so I am looking at sailings for this year!

Robert - I am taking an amawaterways cruise this summer and I believe our itinerary is the same as what you posted above. Did you find you had enough time in Salzburg only doing the half day tour? We are trying to decide whether to do what you did - Linz in the morning and Salzburg in the afternoon. Or going on the full day Salzburg tour. The group I am traveling with (all family) ranges in age from 27 up to 80 so we have quite a mix of ablebodied and not so much.

Undone

Really depends if you are a sound of music fan or not :D The full day tour stops in the morning at the church that was used for the exterior shots in the film as well as some time at Lake Monsee (also featured in the film) and a bit more free time in the afternoon in Salzburg since you would arrive earlier then the afternoon tour. Afternoon tour drops you right in the middle of Salzburg. Be prepared to walk - on all the tours if you take the active tours (three levels: gentle, regular and active) - I think we logged 7+ miles a day easily on the active tours! Gentle walkers have trollies or small vans at times to limit the walking.

Linz was a diverse little city. Salzburg was very spread out. Guides really made each tour - all the ones we had were excellent - well informed and very friendly - approachable. Our guide in Salzburg - Barbara was actually one of the best all week.

Keep the questions coming ;)

Bob

Bob - thank you so much for that information! We will likely be doing more of the “gentle walkers” tours because of my mom. This is her dream trip and really all about her. My daughter and I would typically be on the more active side, but we don’t want to do things without my mom. My mom’s cousins are also on the trip, but they are on the slower side as well. Lol.

We do love the sound of music though. It was always a favorite of mine and my daughter too. We’ll have to see what everyone is up for I guess.

Did you do any of the food excursion options? I believe our cruise has an apricot and sweets tasting excursion in Durnstein. And a Slovakian specialties tasting in Bratislava. Just wondering what those might be like. I don’t think my mom can go-go-go every day.

Appreciate any insights!

Undone

We did not do any of the food excursion options - in fact they were not offered on the sailing we were on (we boarded Christmas Day and debarked New Years day - so assume because it was a holiday week certain excursions may not have been available). We did do the wine tasting in Durnstein at night. Actually the day in Durnstein was my most favorite - we did the hike up to the abandoned fortress - walked around the town (it was empty and shuttered though) back to the ship for a quick dinner and then wine tasting at night. I actually asked our guide (another fabulous one) if they had a lot of overseas retirees in the town - she laughed and said why would you want to retire here?! To my it was a quintessential Austrian town.

I do have to say we were up and out every day - but again they do offer three levels of activity so that all are accommodated.

Thank you for all the information! I did end up emailing Viking...I couldn't find an email address listed on their site, only a phone number. I will wait for my answers from them, but I am still on the fence on Passau or Salzburg. I loved that there was so little decision making on AMA on my recent cruise. There is a lot more decision making with Viking. All the Viking excursions sound so nice, but too many of them force you to decide between this place or that place and I want to do them all.

The Viking Danube cruise we were on did not offer a Salzburg tour so that was not an option. We did the included tour of Passau, which as mentioned is a charming place, worthy of exploring. The included tour however did require a fair amount of walking around. Don't know what shape your mom is in, and the cobblestones of the ancient streets can be difficult for some people, so this is something to take into consideration. There is some nice shopping in Passau, and of course after the tour you can walk around at your own pace.

We sailed with Viking last fall but did not have the Salzburg option and the day was spent in Passau. Due to some health issues, I am now in the gentle walkers category - and Viking handles it very well. The Viking guides in Passau were very cognizant of the limitations of individuals in our group. Our guide ducked through some hidden passageways to avoid inclines and allowed the use stair cases with hand rails . She also stopped regularly to point out buildings or to provide information, allowing folks to catch their breath. Old town area was very quaint, and we enjoyed several cafes. Worth the day spent in Passau.

• 5 months later...
NC Redhead

Once you hear back from Viking please come back and share the information. I am on this same cruise in June & would find this info helpful too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

biggerrbearmom, you should be back from your trip, we go in October, any help you can give me?

biggerrbearmom, you should be back from your trip, we go in October, any help you can give me?

Yes, we got off the Baldur two weeks ago. Due to issues with a barge hitting a sandbar and low water levels we ended up docked in Passau from Friday to Sunday in an industrial dock. On Sunday we were bussed to Nuremberg where we boarded the Baldur for the continuation of our trip. I must say, Viking handles things quite well and kept us informed.

Salzburg: it was a full and long rainy day. Even with the rain we really enjoyed our day and are glad we made the decision to go. The included lunch with singers serenading us with music from the Sound of Music was lovely. I only wish that we had more time to explore on our own.

This was our first Viking Cruise and we are totally sold on the Viking product and already planning our next voyage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got of the Viking Var 2 weeks ago. Although there was talk of having to switch ships, we did not and our itinerary went as planned.

If I recall we left Passau shortly after the Salzburg excursion returned. We did not go on it as we had been to Salzburg before on a separate land vacation - it was lovely.

Passau was very beautiful too, and we enjoyed our full day there. You can't go wrong either way, our shipmates loved the excursion, but we didn't go due to the long drive, plus we had been there.

Enjoy....