Independence of the seas post refurb mini cruise May 2018 live report

Hey everyone!

Been a while since I’ve on here but we are going on a mini-break today and though I’d let people know about some of the updates that the Indy has got!

I’m looking forward to trying it all out, including the hibachi at Izumi, the trampoline and the escape room.

This will be our first time staying in a promenade view cabin too, so lots of first

Let me know if there are any pictures you want or any questions you have and I’ll try to oblige [emoji3]

We are just waiting to get on board at the moment, security and check in took about 10 minutes at 10:45, but they made an announcement saying we won’t be able to get in until midday☹️

Thanks and speak to you soon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am amazed you were able to get on the ship by 10.30, we were on the 2 day cruise and I have never seen such a queue for guest services. We disembarked at 10.00 and the line stretched from the GS counter back over the bridge and snaked across the royal promenade almost to vintages, and there was constant announcements advising people to sit anywhere away from deck 5.

Masses of complaints of towel charges, excursion charges and bar charges added to onboard account. We had one erroneous bar charge (we were on the package) which I had removed last night, probably would not have bothered to do it today once I saw the queue. Recommend you regularly keep an eye on your account via the cabin tv.

Have a great cruise

I hope you don't have similar issues with the large groups of fellow travellers we had onboard, who had the drinks packages and who were determined to get full value out of them.

Some atrocious behavior, language, lack of manners, very interesting fashions, and I felt so sorry for the staff who barely heard a 'please' or a 'thank you' for the 2 days. Plenty of stag and hen parties too. If it was my first cruise it probably would have been my last!

The ship looks good, the WJ is great, the SkyPad is fun. Playmakers is a great use of space but was very loud. Feel sorry for the cabins nearby.

I never even got down to see Laser Quest, and I missed out on the Escape Room. Apparently it was complimentary on the cruise (I totally missed reading that in the CC) but I never spoke with anyone who did it so not sure what was happening.

Have a good cruise.

Edited by little britain

I hope you don't have similar issues with the large groups of fellow travellers we had onboard, who had the drinks packages and who were determined to get full value out of them.

Some atrocious behavior, language, lack of manners, very interesting fashions, and I felt so sorry for the staff who barely heard a 'please' or a 'thank you' for the 2 days. Plenty of stag and hen parties too. If it was my first cruise it probably would have been my last!

In total agreement

Following...hope you enjoy the cruise. We are on her in November and cannot wait! This will be the first time we didn't claim our corner aft balcony on deck 10. We opted for the interior/balcony adjoining cabins on deck 9, girls are getting older and the 2nd bathroom may prove helpful. Can't wait to hear all about it....

Independence has slides? Didn't realize that.

We stayed in a promenade room on Allure and quite enjoyed it. The extra bay window gave space and it was fun checking out what was going on on the promenade.

Enjoy your cruise!

P.S. - I just looked at Royals site and see it looks same as mariner refurbishment. Don't go out of your way, but if you get a chance, would love to see the Sky Pad (and would love to hear about it if you try it).

Been on one cruise out of Southampton and was ashamed to be British, groups of undersirables chanting like they were at a football (soocer) match; hope it’s not a common theme. Very much looking forward to Indie in August. Thanks for the pics- teasers!

P.S. - I just looked at Royals site and see it looks same as mariner refurbishment. Don't go out of your way, but if you get a chance, would love to see the Sky Pad (and would love to hear about it if you try it).

If you have social media, there are tons of pictures on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter under #IndependenceoftheSeas and #MyIndy.

Mariner's refurbishment will be very similar.

Independence has slides? Didn't realize that.

We stayed in a promenade room on Allure and quite enjoyed it. The extra bay window gave space and it was fun checking out what was going on on the promenade.

Enjoy your cruise!

The slides and the SkyPad were added during her refurbishment.

I did the SkyPad. Short queue. Sign the waiver. There were 3 virtual reality options to choose from. I picked Candy Crush.

The trampolines are not very bouncy. You are just meant to jump up and down vertically. It lasts about 3 minutes. It is complimentary.

Thanks for the reply’s, there’s a few groups on here too, and they are showing the FA cup final this afternoon, so should be interesting to see how it goes!!

Sorry about the delay in posting, didn’t have any internet at sea yesterday, happy to answer any questions people have today though.

Trampoline (sky pad) this was really good fun! Last about 3 minutes (but seems much longer!) You get the option of with or without the virtual reality headset. With it you get a choice of games including how high you can jump, race through candy land and another one. They are pretty good fun but it can be confusing with the headset on where you are landing, but the staff will guide you by your ankles. If you don’t wear the headset the staff will show you how to do flips forwards and backwards! Backwards is much easier though, and it’s quite a workout for you calf’s and arms!!

IMG_3351.thumb.JPG.fb4366cbb2f5b5449f35e373804d03ed.JPG

In post 4 what is the picture under the slides? It kinda looks like a tree with a net around it. Do you climb on it? What if you fall?

It’s called the Luckey Climber, it’s a kind of climbing frame, completely enclosed so you can’t fall anywhere, if fact some of the spaces are quite small! It’s designed for children but adults are allowed in too, the weight limit is about 300 pounds I think