Chena Hot Springs Night Tour

gbits

We are doing a Celebrity Cruisetour at the end of June that starts in Fairbanks. We will arrive at 2pm the first day and the tours start the following day. Was thinking of doing a trip to the hot springs the night we arrive either through 1st Alaska Tours or renting a car & heading there on our own. Has anyone done either that can comment? Is it worth the time & expense?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, it’s not exactly a night tour since it’s not dark in June, but I really enjoy the hot springs and they have other activities as well. The drive out is nice and with your own car you can stop and do some hiking.

I would play it by ear, as you don’t know how tired you’ll be after a long flight and a time change.

How far away are the hot springs? We are arriving a day early to Fairbanks.

Not sure if we want to rent a car so suggestions are welcome.

Around 70 miles from my place. The alternative to not renting a car is sitting around the hotel all day. Bus service is poor and taxis expensive, and Fairbanks is spread out over a fairly large area.

Chena Hot Springs are at the end of Chena Hot Springs Road which is about 56 miles long. To drive there you would drive north out of Fairbanks on the Steese Expressway and then right turn onto Chena Hot Springs Road (the intersection is 6 or 7 miles north of Fairbanks). So less than 70 miles total. And the road is paved.

For the first twenty or so miles of the CHSR you are going through rural subdivisions. But at about mile 22 or so you enter the large Chena River State Recreation Area. While there are several private in-holdings, this is essentially a heavily used state park with several campgrounds, trails and so forth. At the end of the road is the privately owned hot springs. It is a pleasant drive, and if you drive through the CRSRA and don't see a moose than you are very unlucky indeed.

1st Alaska says it’s an hour ride to & from. They pick you up at 5pm and return you to your hotel at 12am. Cost is $175pp and includes the transportation, hot springs entry fee and a stop at the ice museum (including the fee). The fees for the springs & museum is $45, or $90 for 2. Rental car for a day is about $100 so you can do it on your own for 1/2 the cost of doing it with the tour.

1st Alaska says it’s an hour ride to & from. They pick you up at 5pm and return you to your hotel at 12am. Cost is $175pp and includes the transportation, hot springs entry fee and a stop at the ice museum (including the fee). The fees for the springs & museum is $45, or $90 for 2. Rental car for a day is about $100 so you can do it on your own for 1/2 the cost of doing it with the tour.

Since there will probably be 2 of you which means that the tour cost is $350 and you can put 2 or more people in the car, the transportation costs for doing it by yourself is 29% of the tour cost and not 50%. Of course you do have to factor in the fuel cost if you do a car rental which I have not included in my calculation.

DON