Bus from London to Southampton

JJean

Has anyone take the National Express Bus from

Victoria Coach Station to Southampton before a

cruise. It looks like it takes just over 2 hours and

goes their direct. Would appreciate any thoughts or

information on this.

Often as little as a fiver and always under £20, it's definitely the cheapest way from central London to Southampton, particularly if your hotel is in or near Victoria.

But the buses aren't frequent, it's mainly an hourly service and folk are strongly advised to pre-book. Your ticket is only good for the coach time that you book.

Yes, it's a direct service from Victoria coach station to Southampton coach station, though there are one or two intermediate stops (usually Basingstoke or Winchester) just a few minutes off-route so it takes a little longer than by car.

The driver loads & unloads your luggage.

Be aware that each passenger is permitted 2 x 20kg (44lb) bags plus hand-luggage. I've never known the cases to be weighed, but if a bag is significantly over-weight you need a sympathetic driver & perhaps offer to help him with it.

If you significantly exceed your total weight allowance you might be charged for the excess (but nothing like punitive airline excess luggage charges), Because the bus cannot exceed its legal gross weight it's possible (but unlikely) that excess luggage might be refused on the day if the bus is fully-booked, so if you expect to exceed the limit you should pre-book the excess when you pre-book your tickets.

There's a taxi stand at Southampton coach station, and a taxi to a cruise terminal will cost £6 to £10, depending which cruise terminal.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/luggage-lost-property

JB :)

Did it on our last cruise out of Southampton and it is exactly as JB described. We paid £5 each. Met a couple on the bus and shared a small van from the terminal to the dock. Watched the crowd of Princess transfers who were also loading at Victoria but paying many times more. Bus made 1 short stop on our trip

Sounds as if you were staying in London and leaving from Victoria Station using the above bus service.

What do you do it you are going straight from Heathrow to Southampton?

Any information will be appreciated.

Sadie2 AKA Ellen

Sounds as if you were staying in London and leaving from Victoria Station using the above bus service.

What do you do it you are going straight from Heathrow to Southampton?

Any information will be appreciated.

Sadie2 AKA Ellen

There are many threads about transits between Heathrow and Southampton; like this one for example: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2593895. National Express Coaches https://www.nationalexpress.com/en run a two-hourly direct service. You are advised to book in advance to be sure of a seat.

For our upcoming cruise in the Royal Princess, we are opting for coach from Victoria to S'hampton one day prior to boarding. This will be a novelty for us as we usually have a rental car or be dropped off by a friend who lives in Bournemouth.

Since we are spending time in London prior to the cruise, we'll either Uber or cab from our hotel near Paddington to Victoria Coach, then do an overnight at the Novotel. I've pre-purchased the coach tickets for an early trip and then plan to head to Tudor House and meander to the shopping arcade for any last minute cruise necessities. The following morning, we'll take a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Darcy

We have also used National Express from Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station. For the first time user, we remind you to look for a taxi at the front entrance of the Southampton Coach Station. Some people wait where the coach lets you off and miss the taxi or taxis that are waiting for passengers. So go right away through the small station to the front taxi wait area. It won't be too long before a line might have formed for a taxi.

I booked tickets already for my group this summer. €8 each which includes seat assignment in the front. Thank you Tripmaven for the taxi tip, will def head straight to the front of station. We’ll prob need 2-3 cars for 8 people and luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked tickets already for my group this summer. €8 each which includes seat assignment in the front. Thank you Tripmaven for the taxi tip, will def head straight to the front of station. We’ll prob need 2-3 cars for 8 people and luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

€8 ? Do you mean £8? We don’t use Euros in the UK. :)