Guide/driver in Casablanca??

shmabbies

Looking for a guide & driver to handle a small group (2-8 people), picking up at the dock servicing Casablanca for a full day excursion, preferably outside of Casablanca or with only a relatively brief city tour. Not sure exactly what we want to do or just how far from Casablanca we want to venture, but any suggestions & recommendations would be appreciated!

Shmabbies, our cruise is not until November, so we still have plenty of time. Actually I'm currently more focused on the May cruise right now. I'll let you know if I find something private in Casablanca. Are you stopping anyplace else in western Africa on your trip?

Ours is in November too, are we on the same cruise? Oceania Regatta? We are going to Libya (Tripoli & Benghazi) and Tunisia (Tunis) as well as Casablanca, in Africa. DH and I actually spent a week in Morocco in 1995 so Casablanca isn't new to us, but Libya (obviously) and Tunisia both are. We will be in Greece in April so this cruise is sortof far in the future as well, but I figured it wasn't going to be all that easy researching guides so I got an early (and unproductive) start. Tell me about your cruise! :o)

Hi,

We'll be stopping in Agadir and Casablanca on our upcoming cruise in May. I would love to hear what you find out in Casablanca. The only shore excursion that sounds of interest from Casablanca is Rabat. Shmabbies, since you've spent time in Morocco, would you recommend this?

In Agadir the only excursion that sounds interesting is to Taroundant. I'm told it's similar to Marrakech, only smaller and quieter. Any thoughts? Thanks!

LeeAnne

• 1 month later...

I have been to Casablanca, Dakar and Banjul. The exit to the pier is right at the train station. from there you can get a train every half hour to Rabat. The station there is very central in the new town. A good guide book as well as easy to use taxis will get you by there. It is perfectally safe. There will be a line of taxis at the pier that you can hire for the day. They are not looking for the quick ride. The walk to the exit is pretty long. However you can start to walk and one of the ones coming in will turnaround and take you to the exit for $2. Central Casa is also very easy to walk around in. The medina is nothing to speak of but the city has a great collectin of old French style buildings. You will need a taxi to the Hassan Mosque. You must stop there. There are times os the day you can enter.

In Dakar the thing to do is The Pink lake trip in the morning and the city tour in the afternoon. Be aware if you go to goree isle that you will travel on the local ferry. Some might find that not to sea worthy. Dakar is a pleasent city but the pier is a little out of the way. You will also have a lot of people following you to see you things. Take the tour.

Banjul is also a nice place. I was there on the Princendam in 2002. You can walk to town from the pier. It is pretty safe. Things are laid back there except at the pier. There will be a huge African market set up and unless you really want it wait till before you leave as the price goes down quite. There will be a lot of tour options available. Take your pick.

I am planning on going a cruise that will stop in Benghazi and Tripoli next year. Would like to hear from someone that goes there as well

I was thinking that we should try to get to Rabat as Casablanca is supposedly so modern, thus I appreciated your input, and will start looking into the train schedules now. There is also another couple on our cruise and I bet they will appreciate your input. Thank you very much for posting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We are looking for a private guide / taxi cab tour of Casablanca on Wednesday October 26, 2005 arriving on the HAL Westerdam. We would like a minivan to handle at least 6 people as we will likely have others with us from the cruise. What is a good price for four hours?

Cheers

General Max

• 1 month later...

This write-up intends to tell the world about how tremendously satisfied we are with the services of [tangiertour@yahoo.co.uk]and so We've been very, very blessed with that. We have been their client for 2 times, and hope to be their client for many years to come. Their service In Casablanca is effective and profitable. we always know we get value for our money ... The way they interact with their clients is far above the norm, in terms of professionalism, and in sharp contrast to our experience with other Tour Guides. Many Tourist guides are effective, but not particularly professional in how they deal with Visitor. Abdel is Fully Licensed, and very Professional. It sounds like they wear suits and ties while they Guide/Drive their clients, and I mean that to imply that they sound competent, serious, polished, while also being friendly and helpful. we've been treated very well by everybody involved. Abdelhamid has a great team and was very helpful with practical concerns as well, such as... where to find the best produce markets..ect! Abdel arranged reservations in Casablanca for Lunch in a wonderful/Authentic Moroccan Restaurant, made reservations at Chez Ali Fantazia, and arranged for a great walking tour in Marrakesh . All experiences were fantastic.

and so We've been very, very blessed with that. I recommend them warmly.

Please go to www.briceplace.com. Then, under Africa, click on Morocco 2005. Danelle provided a link to your information, so She can refer anyone who is interested in traveling to Morocco to contact him.

Tina P.Staly, san Francisco CA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi General Max:

Would you please share info about your one day tour of Casablanca with Abdel, i.e. how many hours, cost for the group of 10 or per person, any specifics on what/where you'll be visiting in Casablanca?

I am trying to plan the same for next summer. Many thanks for the info!

Hi General Max:

Would you please share info about your one day tour of Casablanca with Abdel, i.e. how many hours, cost for the group of 10 or per person, any specifics on what/where you'll be visiting in Casablanca?

I am trying to plan the same for next summer. Many thanks for the info!

sbcruiser, here is the e-mail I received from Abdel. Let him know we referred you to him. He might buy us a second drink at Rik's Cafe.

E_MAIL FROM TANGIERTOUR....................................... ..........................

Dear John,

Welcome, Thank You So Much for Writing With Regard to My Services as a Licensed Tour Guide Here In Morocco and for your Tour inquiry In Casablanca.

I'm Abdel, Morocco Is My specialty, and I'll be pleased to give your planned visit to Casablanca my personal attention.

I Am Available To Be Your Tour Guide on October 26, and It would be a pleasure to assist you and your group in any way possible during your visit, So I Will Provide you with the information about my tours.

As you know I do run private tours, so it is fine with me to do the tour as you like.

Basically, I Tailor my Touring to whatever might interest the Casablanca's visitor.

We will focus in the old city, visiting historical sites, and explore the Moroccan culture and Berber traditions.... walking through the Old town & Medina, to get the feeling of the Arab and Berber souks..there is a Fantastic and wonderful market which so interesting to visit it....Plus a fascinating Sightseeing and Outskirts Of This Beautiful City.

"Principal city in Morocco and capital in all but administration" Casablanca is now the largest port of the Maghreb - busier even than Marseille, the city on which it was modeled by the French. Your City-Tour will include The Visit of modern new town and a beautiful drive through Rich Earea of Casablanca where you'll see the estate, villas and palaces passing via the king's palace and celebrities homes.

Tours include, guided city tour To the central Marché, the Habous district and Berber-Souks (Markets For Shopping etc...),the Mohamed V square, the residential area of Anfa and the tour of the famous Hassan II Mosqueé.

I guarantee you a memorable day. Your will love my services... I will give you an exclusive tour.

Over the years I have progressed from guiding friends and family through this city's sites and Interesting Places to offering my knowledge of Morocco to the American and cosmopolitan tourist.

On a planned touring day, it is my habit to meet at your Arrival To the Port With a Sign With Your Name.

Transfers in private Luxury Mini-Bus from and to the port of Casablanca for Departure.

The tour will include no more other tourists but you And Your Friends/Company (Maximum 14).

My fee is 35 Euros Per Person for the day In Casablanca, Will Be Paid at The End of The Tour. This amount include an English Speaking Guide, Wich Is Abdel, a Welcome Drink at Casablanca Famous Rik's Café, and travel expenses In a Luxury air-conditioning MiniBus.

I will stay with you for the entire day, from the moment you arrive until I put you back on the Cruise.

thanks Again, have A Nice,Safe and Sound Trip.

Waiting for your reply and final Confirmation, I am at you entire disposal for any additional information you will need.

With best Wishes And Regards.

Abdel.

E.mail: tangiertour@yahoo.co.uk

Direct Phone: 0021268702424

END__ E-MAIL FROM TANGIERTOUR

Cheers

General Max

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

if its not too late, but might be of interest to others, this is what we (2 of us) did approx 3 years ago.

As we had been able to find almost no info on Casablanca sightseeing before we left, we took a taxi from the ship to the Tourist Info office in the centre. Cost was $5 or €5. The lady in the Tourist Office was cross because she said it should have been approx 1/5 of that! Never mind, €/$5 is not much for first world citizens to pay. We had thought that reasonable. The ship was charging either $15pp or €15pp return shuttle bus to a hotel close to the Tourist Office.

We asked about sightseeing tours. Forget hop on/off etc as nothing like that exists. Private only. She showed us on a large city map where exactly a private tour would take us. We compared it with the ships excursion. It covered all the main places. She asked what language we wanted. Within 15 mins, an English speaking guide was there, and within another 10 or 15 mins, a driver and Mercedes car were there too.

We did a really great tour of the city. The guide and driver took us to some extra wee places (such as a bakery, food market and souvenir/handicraft market) that were not on the "official" list. Those little extra stops were a great bonus. They drove us back to the ship. The cost was either $30 or €30 total for both of us. Sorry I cant remember which currency it was. Tips on top. We thought it excellent value especially compared to the ships price for a less interesting tour. As we had a local guide we did not get any hassle whatsoever from anyone. This can be a problem in Arab countries. All of a sudden everyone is a guide or has great stuff to sell in a nearby shop.

We had a late snack lunch or afternoon tea or whatever it was onboard, then wandered out to browse the shops on our own. We had expressly told the Tourist Info lady and the guide that we did not want to go to any specific shops on our tour. Whilst a market or two would be fine, we didnt want to be taken to a shop belonging to a relative/friend/neighbour of either the guide or the driver as we really didnt want to feel obligated to buy something. They accepted that quite happily.

Basically, the Tourist Office should be able to help you organise a custom trip doing/seeing whatever you want.

The 2 languages in Casablanca are English and French.

We just returned from our Westerdam transatlantic cruise and used the services of Tangiertours in Casablanca. We spent 7 hours with Abdel and his driver and spent about one hour at Rik's cafe enjoying the drink he promised in the e-mail above. Some of the group had lunch there. There were 8 other pax with us in the Mercedes minivan along with Abdel and his driver. We saw a lot of the city and stopped at several markets. The tour was very worthwhile and at 35 Euros per person was worth it.

During the tour we did notice a lot of security forces and the military and police presence throughout the City. Evidently the Moroccan government does not want any negative "incidents" with tourists.

Cheers

General Max

• 8 months later...

General Max: We are booked with Abdel to go from Casablanca to Marrakesh. Currently we are traveling alone with him. Did you feel safe in Morocco? Would you be at all hesitant to travel with him pretty far? I think it is about 3 hours between Casablanca and Marrakesh. Just trying to get a sense of conditions in Morocco. Thanks, Claire

We used Abdel in Tangiers last fall and he is FANTASTIC! Please don't have any hesitation in using him or going any distance with him. He's a great guy, very accomodating, and a real find. Enjoy!!! :D

Claire 1,

Abdel was absolutely fantastic. You will be quite safe with him. Please pass on our best wishes to him. I still fondly remember our Wednesday, October 26, 2005 tour of Casablanca with him.

Cheers

General Max and Mrs Max

• 1 month later...

Archived