Cairo Anti-Government Demonstrations

Capricruiser

After Algeria and Tunisia, now it may be Egypt's time for citizen revolt. Today's newspapers and TV news report serious protest demonstations in central Cairo with many injuries and even a death or two. CC members planning excursions to Cairo should watch current events and adjust their plans accordingly. :(

This morning's paper says there were 4 dead and 10 seriously injured yesterday in Cairo. The anti-Mubarak protests could be spreading throughout the country. It would pay to watch this situation closely before finalizing excursion plans. My next cruise with an Egyptian port call isn't until early May. Hopefully the situation will be resolved one way or another before then.

This appears tr be going the same way as the problems in Tunisia. I guess the cruiselines will change ports if deemed to be necessary. Sorry for those who have been looking forward to seeing Egypt, but better safe than sorry.

This appears tr be going the same way as the problems in Tunisia. I guess the cruiselines will change ports if deemed to be necessary. Sorry for those who have been looking forward to seeing Egypt, but better safe than sorry.

Our cruise isn't until mid May, but final payment is coming up at the first of March, so I'm wondering if anyone else has missed Alexandria in past cruises and what port/ports might be substituted if need be?

We are taking the Holyland cruise on the Pacific Princess in late May. Demonstrations and work stopages in Greece and Rome... now major political problems in Egypt and the recent stabbing of a tourist in Israel make for some concerns. Oh well- we'll have even more reasons to pray. Perhaps we'll end up with a Greek Isles cruise and a lot of sea days....

We are taking the Holyland cruise on the Pacific Princess in late May. Demonstrations and work stopages in Greece and Rome... now major political problems in Egypt and the recent stabbing of a tourist in Israel make for some concerns. Oh well- we'll have even more reasons to pray. Perhaps we'll end up with a Greek Isles cruise and a lot of sea days....

Just a word of reassurance- that stabbing was an isolated incidence which happened over a month ago, in a forest that is not at all frequented by tourists (or by many other people). There have been no terror attacks in Israel in the past 2 years.

Ruth in a very safe Israel!

Ruth- We cannot wait to spend two days in Israel and it is beginning to look like that will be the safest part of our trip (outside of Patmos and Santorini). Our only regret is that we are spending so little time there-- we have already begun planning a return trip to spend at least a week just in your wonderful country.

We arrive in Cairo Sunday! And Wednesday go to Alexandria!! Staying at the Cairo Marriott. Sherry

Could you give us an update after your trip? Like to know about safety, Ramses tour and the Cairo Marriott.

Thanks

If anyone is looking for more info there is a great thread going right now on Trip Advisor which puts the situation in Cairo all in perspective..post #27 or right around there is a complete update..Sherry

This may be the thread on TripAdvisor that Sherry is referring to. Lots of good (albeit unofficial) information by someone in Cairo.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k4197246-o20-The_siruation_in_Cairo_until_next_Saturday-Cairo.html

We arrive in Cairo Sunday! And Wednesday go to Alexandria!! Staying at the Cairo Marriott. Sherry

Has your tour operator or travel agent said anything to you about the situation in Egypt, or are you travelling on your own?

Just wondering when exactly Uniworld or any other tour operator decides when to cancel certain cities or the entire tour.

Thanks,

John

Read the Egypt advisor on Trip Advisor as suggested by OP. Some of the best information available. Specific, helpful, up-to-date, local and SANE.

Tour Operaters and Cruise people will be using the same information as we get from news outlets etc. I think the information I am reading here on CC and TA makes the most sense and is more up-to-date with few axes to grind than some of the CNN and other outlet materials which show the most "dramatic read:eek:" stuff. TA advisor states that this is a local matter -- the people against their government-- and in no way will they target visitors BUT it will be inconvenient, can get out of control or you can be drawn into situations, you will not be able to tour what you wanted and your quality of visit will be less. I agree with him it probably will be self-limiting in timing. Not much of a comfort to those going this weekend.

I am writing this from the NCL Jade. We just left Athens and are headed to Turkey tomorrow. We are scheduled to dock in Alexandria on Sunday. I came on here to see if any other ships have missed the port, etc. Right now, our ship is remaining quiet on the subject. They say we are still going, but who knows? The speculation is providing a lot of conversation on board. Other then that, the cruise has been going well....

I am writing this from the NCL Jade. We just left Athens and are headed to Turkey tomorrow. We are scheduled to dock in Alexandria on Sunday. I came on here to see if any other ships have missed the port, etc. Right now, our ship is remaining quiet on the subject. They say we are still going, but who knows? The speculation is providing a lot of conversation on board. Other then that, the cruise has been going well....

Looking forward to hearing back from you as to what happens. We are booked on the Jewel leaving Barcelona on the 13th and arriving Egypt on the 20th. Good luck to you, hope it all works out well.

The news services are reporting fighting in Cairo, Alexandria, and in a couple Sinai cities. It's not looking good.

That's interesting, because the 1pm news on the BBC was stating that there was no problem in Sharm, Hurgurda etc....the Foreign Office was saying that the main problems were in central Cairo, and that Luxor etc were not affected. Tourism is so vital to these areas.

Jo.

That's interesting, because the 1pm news on the BBC was stating that there was no problem in Sharm, Hurgurda etc....the Foreign Office was saying that the main problems were in central Cairo, and that Luxor etc were not affected. Tourism is so vital to these areas.

Jo.

Sharm is Sinai but Hurghada is not. It is located on the "mainland" :D

We were on the Jade exactly a year ago, headed for Alexandria (and our overnight in Cairo). So that of course has been on my mind as I read and hear the news from Egypt. I am sorry about the lives that have been lost, and hope that is at an end. And hope that you all get to dock and have a wonderful visit, not only for your sake and that of the other passengers, but also because that will likely mean the situation has calmed down.

According to ABC News this morning (Friday, Jan. 28), the Egyptian government has now shut down internet and cell phone access, is cutting off journalists' access to satellite feeds, and Cairo is "in lockdown." I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" here, but it's hard to imagine any cruise line docking in Alexandria this weekend (or letting passengers travel into Cairo). Again, I hope this all changes and the country is at peace.

I think the situation looks very volatile. I've been following activities since early this morning. This is a great site for up-to-date bulletins on the protest activities: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-live-updates

Although there are repeated calls for the demonstrations to be peaceful, the police are firing rubber bullets, using tear gas, and it seems things could deteriorate rather quickly.

I personally would not want to be in or near central Cairo today or probably the next few days...

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110128/egypt-hosni-mubarak-protests-110128/

There were also reports of protests in the eastern city of Suez, as well as Asyut and Minya south of Cairo and al-Arish in the Sinai Peninsula. Local TV stations also reported clashes between demonstrators and police in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria....

Archived