Are you SURE you want to go to Egypt???

greatam

Not many things can truly horrify me anymore, but this does.

Unfortunately, although Mubarak is gone, the status quo seems to live on. Arrests, torture of prisoners, trials that are a joke......

I hope one day Egypt gets a better government, one that actually has some concern about human rights.

Yes, hearing this sort of thing I would think twice about visiting Egypt.

I leave in a little more than 1.5 hours for my next two month "engagement" in the Middle East.

I have been getting constant emails from the Military Public Affairs and from the US government procurement division about NOT going to Egypt, Libya, now Jordan and Bahrain during any R & R time. I consider this fairly normal, as the military does not want to have to rescue a US Military contractor from someplace where there is fighting on the ground or protests where there is a possibility of violence.

What is NOT normal in the emails I have been receiving are all the warnings for women contractors in the Middle East. The usual "don't wear revealing clothes, cover your shoulders and knees"-standard stuff. BUT Military intel must believe that the Islamists have an even stronger position AFTER the protests in many countries. Women going to Bahrain and even Qatar (filled with US Military and US government contractors) are advised to WEAR A HEADSCARF ANYTIME they are off a US base. Dark clothes are advised as well as long skirts. I have never seen this before.

I contacted my Military intel advisor (they provide some of my security as well as my private security company). Yes, they feel the situation in spite of the protests for "democracy" have gone the other way and women are particularly at risk. Not just western women. This warning has gone out to ALL women contractors-there are a lot of Filipina and Indian women working for the US Military in housekeeping, laundry and food service.

This is really, really spooky for me. I do enjoy going into downtown Kuwait City and out in the desert where I have no protection. Same thing in Qatar. And DID enjoy going to Bahrain for a little fun on the weekends.

I feel very sorry for the Middle Eastern women. I can see the handwriting on the wall (hope I am wrong). Two dictators (Mubarak and Qaddafi) who were hated by the people but ran secular governments now possibly taken over by the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Queda. Women that were relatively "free" meaning they could work, go to school and wear the clothes they wanted could be put back in the dark ages and be forced into burqas, out of school and work and become chattel property of their husbands/fathers.

I so remember the picture of the young lady standing on the tank in a bright red coat, Levi's and a headscarf surrounded by other protesters, all men except one other female. That to me represented a TRUE protest by the people for a FREE society. It doesn't look like that is the direction any of these protests are going.

I am sincerely worried about my trip this time. I sure as heck wouldn't be getting on a cruise ship to the Middle East at this point in time. With easy crossing of the border between Libya and Egypt and Al Queda fighting in Libya and the Muslim Brotherhood cutting a deal with the Military in Egypt, I truly believe it is only a matter of time before a tour group or a cruise ship is "captured" by some faction of those fighting. Heaven help the women!!!

I leave in a little more than 1.5 hours for my next two month "engagement" in the Middle East.

I have been getting constant emails from the Military Public Affairs and from the US government procurement division about NOT going to Egypt, Libya, now Jordan and Bahrain during any R & R time. I consider this fairly normal, as the military does not want to have to rescue a US Military contractor from someplace where there is fighting on the ground or protests where there is a possibility of violence.

What is NOT normal in the emails I have been receiving are all the warnings for women contractors in the Middle East. The usual "don't wear revealing clothes, cover your shoulders and knees"-standard stuff. BUT Military intel must believe that the Islamists have an even stronger position AFTER the protests in many countries. Women going to Bahrain and even Qatar (filled with US Military and US government contractors) are advised to WEAR A HEADSCARF ANYTIME they are off a US base. Dark clothes are advised as well as long skirts. I have never seen this before.

I contacted my Military intel advisor (they provide some of my security as well as my private security company). Yes, they feel the situation in spite of the protests for "democracy" have gone the other way and women are particularly at risk. Not just western women. This warning has gone out to ALL women contractors-there are a lot of Filipina and Indian women working for the US Military in housekeeping, laundry and food service.

This is really, really spooky for me. I do enjoy going into downtown Kuwait City and out in the desert where I have no protection. Same thing in Qatar. And DID enjoy going to Bahrain for a little fun on the weekends.

I feel very sorry for the Middle Eastern women. I can see the handwriting on the wall (hope I am wrong). Two dictators (Mubarak and Qaddafi) who were hated by the people but ran secular governments now possibly taken over by the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Queda. Women that were relatively "free" meaning they could work, go to school and wear the clothes they wanted could be put back in the dark ages and be forced into burqas, out of school and work and become chattel property of their husbands/fathers.

I so remember the picture of the young lady standing on the tank in a bright red coat, Levi's and a headscarf surrounded by other protesters, all men except one other female. That to me represented a TRUE protest by the people for a FREE society. It doesn't look like that is the direction any of these protests are going.

I am sincerely worried about my trip this time. I sure as heck wouldn't be getting on a cruise ship to the Middle East at this point in time. With easy crossing of the border between Libya and Egypt and Al Queda fighting in Libya and the Muslim Brotherhood cutting a deal with the Military in Egypt, I truly believe it is only a matter of time before a tour group or a cruise ship is "captured" by some faction of those fighting. Heaven help the women!!!

I am also worried about going to Egypt because I have a trip planned for June.

Of course my worry comes from reading news items, such as the one posted here, and from news stories about the continuing demonstrations in Cairo and from the news story that another Coptic church was burnt down.

It worries me to see this post about Al-Qua'ida fighting in Libya and the Muslim Brotherhood cutting deals with the Military in Egypt ... but please allow me to ask where your news is coming from. I've searched and read and listened to the news and I can't find anything that corroborates your assertions. Is that for real or is it your opinion? I would really like to know what are your sources, because if it is happening, then it seems to me that we should all be worried as to why the news agencies aren't getting that right.

I hope you will provide some sources because it's one thing to see what's happening in a struggling country like Egypt and give reports for the safety of travelers. It's another thing though, to scare people through opinions expressed as fact.

I, for one, would like to know more about the Al-Qua'ida's activity and the Muslim Brotherhood deals before I pack my bags. If you would be so kind, please post something verifiable.

An editorial in today's NY Times "Week in Review" section by Nicholas Kristof details a disturbing attitude of the military in Egypt toward women. This may not be indicitave of the future treatment of women in Egypt, but it is troubling to this prospective female tourist.

An editorial in today's NY Times "Week in Review" section by Nicholas Kristof details a disturbing attitude of the military in Egypt toward women. This may not be indicitave of the future treatment of women in Egypt, but it is troubling to this prospective female tourist.

Here's a link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/opinion/27kristof.html?_r=1&hp

Basically it is a report of a first-hand account of the same arrests detailed by Amnesty International.

Another equally horrifying account from a woman in Libya suffering rape and torture at the hands of Gaddafi's forces: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/world/middleeast/27tripoli.html

I am also worried about going to Egypt because I have a trip planned for June.

Of course my worry comes from reading news items, such as the one posted here, and from news stories about the continuing demonstrations in Cairo and from the news story that another Coptic church was burnt down.

It worries me to see this post about Al-Qua'ida fighting in Libya and the Muslim Brotherhood cutting deals with the Military in Egypt ... but please allow me to ask where your news is coming from. I've searched and read and listened to the news and I can't find anything that corroborates your assertions. Is that for real or is it your opinion? I would really like to know what are your sources, because if it is happening, then it seems to me that we should all be worried as to why the news agencies aren't getting that right.

I hope you will provide some sources because it's one thing to see what's happening in a struggling country like Egypt and give reports for the safety of travelers. It's another thing though, to scare people through opinions expressed as fact.

I, for one, would like to know more about the Al-Qua'ida's activity and the Muslim Brotherhood deals before I pack my bags. If you would be so kind, please post something verifiable.

I conduct business in the Middle East (shipping and land transportation logistics). My company subscribes to Stratfor and Jane's for daily intel and specific reports inpacting our business. The Al Queda connection was pointed out to me in Stratfor communication about a week ago. My company also has US government contracts dealing with food shipping for the US Military into the war zones and because I have to travel throughout the Middle East for business, I have direct contact with military intel advisors as well as the private security companies who are working in the War Zones.

The Al Queda/Libya news was headlines on many websites yesterday. The Muslim Brotherhood/Army connection has been bandied about for a couple of weeks by all kinds of people.

I read Debka daily (Israel website overseen by a couple of special forces types-subscription for anything but the basics). European newspapers, particularly those out of the UK, have significantly better reporting than US newspapers/websites.

Here are just a few of the articles I have read. Most of my info comes from "inside" sources. I am currently at Heathrow, waiting for my flight to Kuwait City (almost 8 hour wait-thanks for the BA airport clubs). I just got email that XXX will pick me up at the airport tomorrow morning. They may be late. The email states-PLEASE "dress appropriately including hijab" since I will there by myself at the airport for who knows how long. THAT royally sucks as I have always been free to walk around Kuwait City dressed conservatively but without the headscarf.

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20110213-egypt-distance-between-enthusiasm-and-reality

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/article_4ee31f1a-a72a-500d-a5bc-cad623680c88.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8407047/Libyan-rebel-commander-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/03/26/building-al-qaedas-disneyland-libya-freedoms-newest-outpost/

As I posted earlier, you wouldn't catch me getting on a cruise to Egypt or a tour to Egypt now. Just too much chance of something happening with the state of chaos over quite a bit of the Middle East. All it takes is one of the fundamentalists to get the idea in his head that Western tourists are "easy pickins". Who is going to stop this from happening???

As I posted earlier, you wouldn't catch me getting on a cruise to Egypt or a tour to Egypt now. Just too much chance of something happening with the state of chaos over quite a bit of the Middle East. All it takes is one of the fundamentalists to get the idea in his head that Western tourists are "easy pickins". Who is going to stop this from happening???

Thanks so much for the articles, Greatam. They are informative.

In the article about Egypt, though, one of the articles you posted concludes:

"All this is a huge letdown from the triumph when “people power” toppled President Mubarak. The lesson may be that revolution is not a moment but a process, a gritty contest of wills that unfolds painstakingly long after the celebrations have died and the television lights have dimmed."

So, the people of Egypt will have a tough time making change happen but what is the effect on tourism?

Clearly, history has shown that over the past six decades that the Middle-East in general has been a dangerous area to visit. The dangers have been mostly felt by the populations residing in the constituent countries. Change always brings uncertainty and sometimes brings violent upheaval. The citizens of Middle-East countries have seen much of both.

But the Middle-east has also seen millions of visitors in those six decades with relatively few of those visitors being harmed. If we want to be accurate, the dangers in Egypt since January have presented many problems for Egyptians but mostly inconvenience for tourists. I know that by making this statement, I seem to be ignoring the dangers but if you look at the numbers, the numbers don't lie.

On the subject of intelligence from Stratfor:

"National Security Agency director Michael Hayden tried to explain to his wife the difference between the black-and-white world of facts and the gray world of intelligence this way: ”If it were a fact, it wouldn’t be intelligence.”

The decision to travel to Egypt right now is a tough one but even after reading all of the online articles you've posted, isn't it fair to say that there is little evidence that it is any more dangerous for tourists to go there now than it was before?

Thanks so much for the articles, Greatam. They are informative.

In the article about Egypt, though, one of the articles you posted concludes:

"All this is a huge letdown from the triumph when “people power” toppled President Mubarak. The lesson may be that revolution is not a moment but a process, a gritty contest of wills that unfolds painstakingly long after the celebrations have died and the television lights have dimmed."

So, the people of Egypt will have a tough time making change happen but what is the effect on tourism?

Clearly, history has shown that over the past six decades that the Middle-East in general has been a dangerous area to visit. The dangers have been mostly felt by the populations residing in the constituent countries. Change always brings uncertainty and sometimes brings violent upheaval. The citizens of Middle-East countries have seen much of both.

But the Middle-east has also seen millions of visitors in those six decades with relatively few of those visitors being harmed. If we want to be accurate, the dangers in Egypt since January have presented many problems for Egyptians but mostly inconvenience for tourists. I know that by making this statement, I seem to be ignoring the dangers but if you look at the numbers, the numbers don't lie.

On the subject of intelligence from Stratfor:

"National Security Agency director Michael Hayden tried to explain to his wife the difference between the black-and-white world of facts and the gray world of intelligence this way: ”If it were a fact, it wouldn’t be intelligence.”

The decision to travel to Egypt right now is a tough one but even after reading all of the online articles you've posted, isn't it fair to say that there is little evidence that it is any more dangerous for tourists to go there now than it was before?

Do what you want. You are bound and determined to go so don't let a little thing like personal security get in the way. Why you don't wait until after the elections in September is beyond me??? MAYBE the country will settle down. MAYBE it will be a better country. Right now, it is on military lockdown basically.

The US Military and MAJOR US defense contractors operating all over the Middle East are FORBIDDING their contractors from going to Egypt, Libya, Jordan and Bahrain at this time on any R & R. Egypt, Bahrain and Jordan WERE the normal quickie trips away from the war zones. Not anymore. Anyone trying to re-enter a US base without ORDERS going to those countries are NOT allowed back in. You essentially loose your $120-150,000+++ per year job and are sent back to your country of origin. According to one of my Afghanistan contacts, some UK paid security contractors went to Egypt to "see what was going on" about 2 weeks ago. They are now all back in the UK jobless. Those were $1000 PER DAY jobs they gave up.

As I said, do what you want. I tend to listen to those who don't print articles for public consumption and try to share that info as long as it doesn't impact on my clearances. Our company pays huge dollars per year for intel from various sources. The companies we pay have eyes and ears on the ground. So far, they have kept our shipments and employees safe. Your choice!!!

Do what you want. You are bound and determined to go so don't let a little thing like personal security get in the way. Why you don't wait until after the elections in September is beyond me??? MAYBE the country will settle down. MAYBE it will be a better country. Right now, it is on military lockdown basically.

As I said, do what you want. I tend to listen to those who don't print articles for public consumption and try to share that info as long as it doesn't impact on my clearances. Our company pays huge dollars per year for intel from various sources. The companies we pay have eyes and ears on the ground. So far, they have kept our shipments and employees safe. Your choice!!!

Sorry, Greatam, but I am not "bound and determined" as you say. I asked you for information and you gave me some, for which I am grateful.

On the other hand, your opinion about relying on US companies intel may be less than reliable though, given that it principally is about safeguarding company interests and not international tourism. I mean, Canadians have been traveling to Cuba for years, despite US embargoes and military warnings.

Personal security is exactly what I have been talking about but I am not particularly interested in info regarding corporate and military clearances. So, thanks again, and please keep the articles coming for those of us who want to winnow through them for the useful information they can provide.

I am far from an expert and don't have access to sources that are classified. I'm just a traveler with a keen interest in ancient history that has so far led me to some places where a lot of average/conservative US travelers might not consider going. (As a whole, I think travelers in the US are more cautious than most....)

I've been to Egypt four times to date, and other places in the Middle East including Lebanon, Syria and most recently Israel and Jordan (just a couple of weeks ago).

Having said all this, I feel the situation in the Middle East at the moment is extremely volatile. Everyone over there seems very aware of the tensions. Since I came home I have been mulling it over and have decided that until there is more clarity as to what direction these countries are headed in, I won't be planning any travel to this part of the world. While I agree that it's unlikely anything untoward would happen to tourists, that small risk is probably higher now than it has been at any time during the past 5-6 years at least, if not longer.

I'm extremely disappointed; I had originally planned to take a cruise this year that would visit Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya. It's pretty unlikely the cruise will now run, but even if it did, I don't think I'd be on board. Much as I want to see Leptis Magna in Libya, I'm young enough to hope that I'll have other opportunities. (Assuming one side or the other doesn't destroy it in the meanwhile.....:mad:)

I don't believe I would plan to visit Egypt right now either. However, if you feel it's your one and only chance to get there and you can find a trip that's going, then go and don't second-guess yourself.

I am far from an expert and don't have access to sources that are classified. I'm just a traveler with a keen interest in ancient history that has so far led me to some places where a lot of average/conservative US travelers might not consider going. (As a whole, I think travelers in the US are more cautious than most....)

I've been to Egypt four times to date, and other places in the Middle East including Lebanon, Syria and most recently Israel and Jordan (just a couple of weeks ago).

Having said all this, I feel the situation in the Middle East at the moment is extremely volatile. Everyone over there seems very aware of the tensions. Since I came home I have been mulling it over and have decided that until there is more clarity as to what direction these countries are headed in, I won't be planning any travel to this part of the world. While I agree that it's unlikely anything untoward would happen to tourists, that small risk is probably higher now than it has been at any time during the past 5-6 years at least, if not longer.

I'm extremely disappointed; I had originally planned to take a cruise this year that would visit Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya. It's pretty unlikely the cruise will now run, but even if it did, I don't think I'd be on board. Much as I want to see Leptis Magna in Libya, I'm young enough to hope that I'll have other opportunities. (Assuming one side or the other doesn't destroy it in the meanwhile.....:mad:)

I don't believe I would plan to visit Egypt right now either. However, if you feel it's your one and only chance to get there and you can find a trip that's going, then go and don't second-guess yourself.

Thanks, Cynthia. I very much appreciate the advice and believe me, it will be taken into consideration. I will remain open-minded and vigilant until I have to decide.

I hope for the sake of all Libyans, the UN and NATO forces and all people of the Middle-Eastern countries that your trip to Leptis Magna is possible so much sooner than later.

I planed a year ago for this trip and had I known what would go down, I wouldn't have chosen it.

Part of our 14 day itinerary: we are in Egypt 2 days, Israel 3, Syria 1 day.

We leave in 25 days and are way past cancelation, so we are going.

I am surprised that Oceania still is going to Egypt at this time. With this info I would skip Egypt. I keep looking at the news and web searches but greatam, you seem to have a lot of info and I appreciate it. If you can keep posting any new info that would be great. I'm really hoping the cruise make a wise decision because safety is more important than any stop.

I have also heard a lot of stuff going on in Syria but you don't mention it. We have decided not to go in.

Thanks for your info

Trish

Trish- we're in the same situation. We reserved this cruise last year this time and it is way past cancellation time. We too wish O would cancel parts of the trip; it is 6 port days out of 14 we could potentially miss . I think we will probably stay on board all 6 days just to err on the side of caution. My problems, however, pale in comparison with the people of these countries in the Middle East. -c

I planed a year ago for this trip and had I known what would go down, I wouldn't have chosen it.

I am surprised that Oceania still is going to Egypt at this time. With this info I would skip Egypt. I keep looking at the news and web searches but greatam, you seem to have a lot of info and I appreciate it. If you can keep posting any new info that would be great. I'm really hoping the cruise make a wise decision because safety is more important than any stop.

I have also heard a lot of stuff going on in Syria but you don't mention it. We have decided not to go in.

Thanks for your info

Trish

As far as Egypt goes,Have a look at tripadviser Cairo forum.Tourists are reporting no problems at all with there tours,even women on there own.

If your concerned, stay with a ships tour of Egypt,i would go over in a heart beat.

The Egyptian people need the tourists to return to get their country back on track.

Since when have the Egyptians been targeting tourists,THEY HAVN'T.

My "intel" says go,I'm hoping we go on our ncl Jade Holy land & Egypt in Oct

Personally I feel that touring Egypt with an organized group will probably not be dangerous; I am, however, deeply troubled by the manner in which women are treated throughout the midEast. I feel it is my duty as a woman to speak out against such acts of violence or intimidation and not meekly turn away and ignore that attitude because it will not affect me.

On the other hand, your opinion about relying on US companies intel may be less than reliable though, given that it principally is about safeguarding company interests and not international tourism. I mean, Canadians have been traveling to Cuba for years, despite US embargoes and military warnings.

Jane's, which provides about 45% of the intel our company uses, has 600 people in the USA and 4500 in locations all over the world. I also have to hire private contractors to guard my safety at various locations. You can be darn sure the private security companies-Triple Canopy, Titan, Aegis and XE-are the best of the best with extensive intel coming in from all over the world. Most of the private security companies working in the Middle East are former special ops type of organizations often headed by former Army Generals and Colonels.

Stratfor is sometimes considered the "shadow CIA". Their intel comes from a large variety of sources, not the least of which are private people on the ground in foreign countries.

Maybe I should read TripAdvisor and abandon other methods. THAT should keep me safe. I really wonder how a normal average tourist would react if the road back to the cruise ship is blocked by militants. Or an RPG or sniper fire erupts close to a tour group. I can see some lady screaming about missing her spa appointment and wanting compensation. No thank you, I will follow the contingency plans set forth to get myself out of any country hopefully safely and in one piece. What kind of contingency plan does YOUR tour guide/cruise ship group have to get YOU safely out of harms way for an unexpected incident in today's environment? Does anyone ever ask???

Personal security is exactly what I have been talking about but I am not particularly interested in info regarding corporate and military clearances. So, thanks again, and please keep the articles coming for those of us who want to winnow through them for the useful information they can provide.

If I can keep 750,000 pounds of food safe moving through war zones month after month and have been able to keep myself safe during my trips into the Middle East, obviously my methods are working. I am certainly going to rely on "those in the know" about ALL contingencies rather than a tour guide who expertise is most likely limited to their immediate area.

As far as Egypt goes,Have a look at tripadviser Cairo forum.Tourists are reporting no problems at all with there tours,even women on there own.

If your concerned, stay with a ships tour of Egypt,i would go over in a heart beat.

The Egyptian people need the tourists to return to get their country back on track.

Since when have the Egyptians been targeting tourists,THEY HAVN'T.

My "intel" says go,I'm hoping we go on our ncl Jade Holy land & Egypt in Oct

Personally I feel that touring Egypt with an organized group will probably not be dangerous; I am, however, deeply troubled by the manner in which women are treated throughout the midEast. I feel it is my duty as a woman to speak out against such acts of violence or intimidation and not meekly turn away and ignore that attitude because it will not affect me.

That's all I've been saying all along. Hundreds of tourists have been to Egypt since Mubarak left office, there have been many demonstrations including some where Egyptians are begging tourists to return and there is no evidence that tourists are in danger.

When touring Egypt, the safest way to go has always been to tour with either an accredited agency or a cruise ship's excursion and that remains the best advice a tourist can take, IMHO.

The Egyptian people are in the process of sorting out what kind of government they will accept and what reforms will take place. In my mind, every society's path to learning how to protect its children, women and less favoured is for the doors to be opened and the shutters removed.

Some Egyptians may have things to learn from the West but after seeing the amazing display of restraint of Egyptian demonstrators over the past months, I believe we Westerners have as much to learn from them.

That can only happen through continued exchange and interaction, again, IMHO.

If I can keep 750,000 pounds of food safe moving through war zones month after month and have been able to keep myself safe during my trips into the Middle East, obviously my methods are working. I am certainly going to rely on "those in the know" about ALL contingencies rather than a tour guide who expertise is most likely limited to their immediate area.

I'm sure you are a very capable person but all of the "intel" in the world doesn't protect people from the inevitable violence that humans perpetrate on each other on a daily basis.

Thanks to your postings, we have more information than we had but I fear now that you may be overstating your argument. If you really believed what you're saying, wouldn't you just quit your job and find something safer to do. No, you take the calculated risks to assume your valuable responsibilities.

Informed tourists going to Egypt today are essentially doing the same thing.

Myotis, I have to agree. Of course, it's easier to say that having been to the wonderful sites in Egypt several times. I think it would be harder to take a stand if I had yet to visit them. It is a tough situation! At least there is nothing to be lost in my country by speaking out and expressing an opinion. And after reading some of the horrible stories of the last few weeks, I am resolved to find some avenue for doing just that. (I don't think the right place is here....:o.)

After visiting Syria (a country increasingly aligned with Iran) last fall and getting a taste of how women are treated there (I wouldn't even call them second class citizens, maybe fifth class.....), I thought to myself how wonderful it was that countries like Egypt were more "enlightened". Now I'm not sure that they are not headed in the same general direction.

Thanks for your info

Trish

I am not allowed to go into Syria or Iran. Syria may be coming apart at the seams but the government will crack down hard. I have no inside info nor do I have any need to know.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42293485

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/27/us-syria-idUSTRE72N2MC20110327

If the violence continues, I would doubt the cruise goes to Syria, particularly in light of the army being stationed in ports.

Just curious-do you have trip insurance (NOT issued by the cruise line)? A LOT of policies have provisions which would allow canceling due to terrorism/war provisions. Just a thought.

I'm sure you are a very capable person but all of the "intel" in the world doesn't protect people from the inevitable violence that humans perpetrate on each other on a daily basis.

We definitely are not speaking about a random drive by shooting where you, the tourist, are caught in the crossfire. We are speaking about going into countries that are indeed very chaotic and the potential for unrest and problems are NOT random.

Thanks to your postings, we have more information than we had but I fear now that you may be overstating your argument. If you really believed what you're saying, wouldn't you just quit your job and find something safer to do. No, you take the calculated risks to assume your valuable responsibilities.

No quitting my job. I own the company. I have been EXTREMELY careful when I traveled to Bahrain/Egypt/Dubai for R & R. Previously, it was because I am a woman and an American. Now, IF I was to go to Bahrain, I would NOT go with just one friend. It would be with a large group and most likely with some type of private security. The chances are just too great that something may happen. Same thing in Egypt.

There is NO underlying sense of security and stability in these countries anymore. Random demonstrations worldwide have a HUGE potential to turn violent and ugly on a dime. That is why the US Military has banned R & R travel to these countries. 20,000+ US contractors are definitely disappointed.

I am currently in Kuwait. It has always been a "safe" country for US contractors and tourists. When I landed earlier, the "vibe" was just "different". The rental car guy just didn't seem as friendly as usual. The coffee guy kept looking away from me (maybe because I had the headscarf on the he KNEW I wasn't Muslim). I never felt the need for private security off the base but I made the call this morning just in case. Is the feeling I have because I am American and the US government is heavily allied with the ruling Sabah family?? Is it because the second "days of rage" demonstrations are scheduled for April 3??? Is it because there are now huge conflicts lying right underneath the surface of polite Kuwait society with the Bedouins who want their full share of Kuwait wealth??? Who knows-I just know it felt "different" this morning.

Informed tourists going to Egypt today are essentially doing the same thing.

As I posted previously, you better ask a lot of questions of your tour guide. IF things were to go bad, how would THEY handle it? MOST would have no clue, so it becomes incumbent upon you the traveler to figure it out. Hope you have a plan.

We definitely are not speaking about a random drive by shooting where you, the tourist, are caught in the crossfire. We are speaking about going into countries that are indeed very chaotic and the potential for unrest and problems are NOT random.

As I posted previously, you better ask a lot of questions of your tour guide. IF things were to go bad, how would THEY handle it? MOST would have no clue, so it becomes incumbent upon you the traveler to figure it out. Hope you have a plan.

I found this on an "Intel" website about Kuwait: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/kuwait

Again, I respectfully submit that you ARE in the Middle-East and you ARE, by your own words, travelling in a dangerous area, so forgive me if I am not swayed by your arguments to "do what I say, not what I do".

I have neither read, seen nor heard of tourists being targeted in Egypt in recent months. Have you? Could you please post something?

If not, I rest my case: IMHO, the Egyptian situation is relatively calm and presents no obvious danger to tourists.

Archived