Voyages to Antiquity Photo Review (Athens to Venice)

marysb

We have been on the AO from Venice to Athens and stayed in the Grand Bretagne. The view of the Acropoli during breakfast was indeed breathtaking.

Do you happen to have more picture of food or any pictures of the menus in the MDR? The ownership of VTA changed in 2016. I wonder whether this change affected their menu offerings.

We have been on the AO from Venice to Athens and stayed in the Grand Bretagne. The view of the Acropoli during breakfast was indeed breathtaking.

Do you happen to have more picture of food or any pictures of the menus in the MDR? The ownership of VTA changed in 2016. I wonder whether this change affected their menu offerings.

Sorry, totally forgot to take photos of menus.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally organized the hundreds of photos I took. If you would like to see our tours and ports for this voyage, Athens to Venice. I have included the link below.

There are 4 parts to this cruise - Greece: Dubrovnik & Bay of Kodor; Split & Trieste; and Venice. Click on a photo to open the photo blog for each part.

https://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.com/

Thanks Mary for these very nice photos that bring back fond memories to me of sailing in this nice little ship in the early nineties around the Greek Isles just after she had been rebuilt the first time, converted from a ro/ro ferry to a mini version of that great deluxe cruise ship HL's Europa, by the Greek family that owned Dolphin Hellas Cruises and called her the Aegean Dolphin. She was very pretty then, but subsequently had a very chequered career and had deteriorated until being saved by Voyages of Antiquity, rebuilt again, and is now a very smart little vessel.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the great photos of the ship Mary. I join her on 1 September in Lisbon to cruise to Civitavecchia. There isn't much information on the internet about her and having never done an ocean cruise on such a small ship I was second-guessing my decision to try Agean Odyssey. It was the itinerary that really attracted me and the huge outdoor dining space that many ships do not provide, even though they are sailing in wonderful sunny regions.

Can you help with two things please? One CC reviewer said there was one power point in her cabin for charging devices. I need to be able to charge my phone as I use that as my camera. Was there a USB port in your cabin to charge devices? What sort of plug did the power point take? European or US?

Secondly, your photo of the library shows a reasonably large selection of books. Was there light reading/fiction amongst these books? Were there enough books to go round or did the library empty out pretty quickly?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Palmycrusier,

We will be onboard VTA too, Hope to meet you there.

Regarding electric outlets, from VTA website's FAQ on Electrical outlets: "Our cabins and suites feature European 2-pin round sockets with 220 voltage." I think the 2-pin socket is the UK version, and not the European version. I will be bringing both the UK and the European version, because in Rome, we will need the other version.

The library is well stocked with travel, history, arts and archaeology books; similar to the ones on the suggested reading list on VTA's website. Someone else may know better whether they have light reading/fiction materials.

Regarding electric outlets, from VTA website's FAQ on Electrical outlets: "Our cabins and suites feature European 2-pin round sockets with 220 voltage." I think the 2-pin socket is the UK version, and not the European version. I will be bringing both the UK and the European version, because in Rome, we will need the other version.

Correction, I think the 2-pin socket is the European version. I need to bring both because we are starting from London.

Can you help with two things please? One CC reviewer said there was one power point in her cabin for charging devices. I need to be able to charge my phone as I use that as my camera. Was there a USB port in your cabin to charge devices? What sort of plug did the power point take? European or US?

Secondly, your photo of the library shows a reasonably large selection of books. Was there light reading/fiction amongst these books? Were there enough books to go round or did the library empty out pretty quickly?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Glad you enjoyed the review and photos - looks like we are booked again for next April :-).

Here is a photo of our desk in an outside room. I do believe it is similar in the inside rooms. There is only one European 2 prong outlet. We needed the power strip with multiple outlets. The hair dryer is in the bathroom and permanently plugged there, so that was not a concern.

IMG_2561.jpg

As for books, I think you will be fine. Looks like there were lots, but Im guessing as I brought a kobo with ebooks. I know the printed newsheets went fast on some days.

Glad you enjoyed the review and photos - looks like we are booked again for next April :-).

Here is a photo of our desk in an outside room. I do believe it is similar in the inside rooms. There is only one European 2 prong outlet. We needed the power strip with multiple outlets. The hair dryer is in the bathroom and permanently plugged there, so that was not a concern.

IMG_2561.jpg

As for books, I think you will be fine. Looks like there were lots, but Im guessing as I brought a kobo with ebooks. I know the printed newsheets went fast on some days.

Many thanks Mary. I travel light.... really light......with just my cell phone so that one European power point will be fine. I won't be bringing my tablet so that's why I hope there'll be some light reading. All will soon be revealed!! Thanks again. :)

Mary, Thanks very much for posting your review. We are looking forward to getting on board again in October for Aegean Experience 1. We have also booked the Black Sea cruise departing May 2019! Linda. :D

We're booked for the Grand Voyage that includes your cruise and Aegean Experience II, so perhaps we'll meet!

Bill

IMG_2561.jpg

Is there an outlet in the bathroom, or only the hard-wired hair dryer? Thanks.

Bill

We're booked for the Grand Voyage that includes your cruise and Aegean Experience II, so perhaps we'll meet!

Bill

Pleased to hear it Bill. I started a Roll Call a few months ago for Aegean Experience 1, but didn’t get any replies. I understand that nearly all the cabins have been sold. Should be a very interesting itinerary. Linda :D

Is there an outlet in the bathroom, or only the hard-wired hair dryer? Thanks.

Bill

There is a shaver outlet in the bathroom. I tried it to use my curling iron with it as there is no mirror by the window outlet, but it wouldn’t work with the curling iron. I assume that it was probably trying to draw too much power.

Regarding outlets, there is a second outlet available in the room above the dresser IF you are willing to pull out the nightlight. I don't use it, so I just pull it out and then the plug is available.

I can confirm that they are definitely the 2-prong European plugs and the voltage is 220.

I believe I have on occasion charged my phone via the shaver outlet in the bathroom as phones don't use much power. :D

Regarding the library, there are some novels and lighter reading (some of it 'donated' by previous guests and some of it purchased, I assume, because it is set in the places where the ship voyages). However, a good part of the books are history, travel guides, classics and other assorted references. Which is great for my tastes; I also bring my Kindle should I want to do any lighter reading. I've usually got a dozen or so books in the queue waiting for time to read them.

Just a quick question about the shaver outlet in the bathroom: I seem to remember that I can put a North American plug into it without an adapter. Is my memory correct? I have also charged my phone on the shaver outlet on occasion.

Just a quick question about the shaver outlet in the bathroom: I seem to remember that I can put a North American plug into it without an adapter. Is my memory correct? I have also charged my phone on the shaver outlet on occasion.

Shaver outlets are usually North American plugs for some reason. They also say shavers only, although I agree that a phone is probably OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

superb an informative thanks

I am on this 10 day trip Oct 22-30 2018

looking forward to it very much - Lido deck cabin 822

voyages to Antiquity Aegean Odyssey Athens to Alexandria Egypt sailaway cruise