What would you do?

Irie

:)

Just off the Dream.

I had a balcony and the people next door were smoking

Marijuana all week. Not my thing. Got really irritating.

Debated notifying security..but never did.

Did not ruin my week..just irritating.

What would you have done?

We had smokers in the balcony cabin next to us a while back. We just coughed very loudly and talked about how sick it was making us (I have severe allergies to smoke). They finished quickly and left. We didn't have any issues after that. I suppose if the coughing/talking thing didn't work I would have very politely asked them to not light up while we were out there. Perhaps we could have discussed our schedules and figured out times for each of us to be out there when the other isn't there. I've found that most people will work with you if you ask politely.

We had neighbors smoking next to us on Breeze. They were stupid enough to make an "ashtray" out of a plastic, which they then tried to throw overboard and it ended up blowing on to our balcony. I didn't hesitate to call security. I am extremely asthmatic and I paid for my balcony and I wasn't about to let a rule breaker take away what paid to use. It was handled quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have talked to them directly about it by knocking on their door and asking if they were aware that you could smell it. Then I'd let them know it really bothered me, that carnival doesn't allow weed on the ship and while I would not call security this time it would be appreciated if they could smoke it on the smoking deck (if they wish to still do it). Most people are pretty cool about putting it away if they know it's bothering someone but I think it would be a jerk move to just tattle on them to security or guest services without first giving them the chance to fix the situation. If they were rude or didn't fix it, then that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I personally don't see a problem with it so I would have ignored it. But, placing myself in your shoes, I think a call to guest services would have been in order. I'm surprised no one else called on them.

Caught the guy 2 decks above us on video smoking he was dropping his ashes all over our lanai (we were on the Vista at the time)

Called guests services, showed security the video

Didn't have a problem after that

A couple a few cabins down had more difficulty Their smoker above them received two letters from security and we're almost put off in Aruba

The couple received complimentary items from carnival

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

I would have talked to them directly about it by knocking on their door and asking if they were aware that you could smell it. Then I'd let them know it really bothered me, that carnival doesn't allow weed on the ship and while I would not call security this time it would be appreciated if they could smoke it on the smoking deck (if they wish to still do it). Most people are pretty cool about putting it away if they know it's bothering someone but I think it would be a jerk move to just tattle on them to security or guest services without first giving them the chance to fix the situation. If they were rude or didn't fix it, then that's a different story.

Deliberately flaunting the rules by smoking is a jerk move.

I disagree. There is a reason why security handles these types of situations. Smoking on a balcony is a no-no. You should have called GS and told them....ESPECIALLY if you think drugs were involved.

:)

Just off the Dream.

I had a balcony and the people next door were smoking

Marijuana all week. Not my thing. Got really irritating.

Debated notifying security..but never did.

Did not ruin my week..just irritating.

What would you have done?

The same as you and not done anything.

Our time to complain would not have been worth it to us.

I work in apartment industry and about 10 years ago I was certified

To detect the odor of marijuana by the St. Louis County police department.no joking with this certificate I can testify in a court of law and be an expert witness. I have smelled marijuana on many occasions but I have never reported it I feel it's a harmless vice. But to bring any type of drugs on a cruise ship is just stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My policy is observe and report. The ship has adequate resources to deal with those who break the rules or the law. No right thinking person wants to be around people who fail to conform to the norms of society.

Folk's are entitled to a "look the other way" policy, but may end up a victim by being in proximity to boorish behavior.

I appreciate the suggestions...and no I never said I was perfect.

I hate dealing with people with habits like smoking anything that I have to smell. It's disgusting and invasive.

I am surprised ships don't have more fires

I hope you never have broken the speed limit while driving, rolled thru a stop sign or red light.

And it's a safety issue just like the examples you gave. Fire on a ship is one of the worst things that can happen. Don't try to justify how your money spent for a balcony somehow gives you the o.k. to break this rule. It's extremely dangerous and wrong. Designated smoking areas are provided and your balcony is not one of them.

I appreciate the suggestions...and no I never said I was perfect.

I hate dealing with people with habits like smoking anything that I have to smell. It's disgusting and invasive.

I am surprised ships don't have more fires

But that's the thing, YOU didn't need to deal with them. Call GS and let THEM deal with it.

I hope you never have broken the speed limit while driving, rolled thru a stop sign or red light.

If you want to use that logic why should any of us ever observe any laws or rules since almost everyone will break one at some time or another.

OP, I would have definitely let guest services know.

I would have let guest services deal with it. Although, I agree that it would be nicer to speak to the people yourselves (politely), you don't know how they will react. If they were polite back, GREAT, but if they get angry they could make the rest of your cruise very difficult.Remember, they weren't smoking cigarettes, going to the 'smoking deck' wasn't an option for them. They took the risk to bring the pot on the ship, they have every intention of smoking it. I don't think just because you asked nice, they would stop. My mom has COPD so smoke really impacts her. To those that say it's harmless, would you feel the same way if I brought on a radio and listened to LOUD talk radio every morning while you were having coffee or each night while you were having a drink? There are rules... they are there to be sure that everyone can get some enjoyment from their balconies. What bother some, might not bother others - but if someone breaks the rules and it impacts your enjoyment in any way - call.

At every muster drill, we get the "fire is the most dangerous thing on a cruise ship" speech, telling people there is no smoking in their staterooms or on their balconies. I would not have confronted my neighbors, but would have gone/called Guest Services. The smoke would bother me, but a potential fire hazard would bother me more.