Avalon Rhine River

Hopeidonotgetseasick

On the Avalon rhine Cruise currently. Skipped a port but they drove us to the original excursions. I will say the time on the bus was too long and the excursion too short. I will be watching travel time going forward. They say with all the commercial traffic and locks they do their best to keep things running. We are all doing a nighttime rain dance!!!

We are cruising on Avalon Sept 1, 2018 from Amsterdam to Basel, and am concerned about what I am reading about the river level. Has anyone cruised recently or cruising now to imform me if there are any interruptions or intererary changes? Thanks:)

Wondering the same as we will be on the cruise with you....

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard this scenario??? Leave Amsterdam (or wherever) on ship A. Sail as far as possible till river is impassable. Pack up everything. Disembark and board a bus. Travel to next port. Board ship B. Continue to end of cruise.

Yes. It is called a ship swap. There is lots of it going on right now, for the luckier people, who still get to basically complete their cruise. For the unluckier people there are multiple bus trips and hotel stays and missed ports or complete cancellations.

Just had a call from Avalon. We are on the Basel to Amsterdam cruise leaving Sunday, August 26. The lady was very pleasant and informed me that they are doing a ship switch to the Felicity for our cruise and we will be on the Felicity the whole way. As far as I remember, our boarding info we’ve been receiving the last couple weeks already mentioned Felicity so it must have been decided a while ago. I was very relieved! When she said she was from Avalon, my heart skipped a beat! ;^)

We were on Affinity and switched to Felicity last night as part of ship swap. We stayed in Strasbourg 2 nights. Bused to Heidelberg and had limited time there before returning to ship in Stabiurg (Wed). Yesterday was long day. 3 hours on bus to Rudesheim and then had tour and lunch with some free time. Did tour of part of Rhine Gorge on steamer boat. Ships not able to sail through there. Joined Felicity last night in Koblenz. On th way to Amsterdam now After time in Cologne this morning. Not what you hoped for but still has been good trip.

We were on Affinity and switched to Felicity last night as part of ship swap. We stayed in Strasbourg 2 nights. Bused to Heidelberg and had limited time there before returning to ship in Stabiurg (Wed). Yesterday was long day. 3 hours on bus to Rudesheim and then had tour and lunch with some free time. Did tour of part of Rhine Gorge on steamer boat. Ships not able to sail through there. Joined Felicity last night in Koblenz. On th way to Amsterdam now After time in Cologne this morning. Not what you hoped for but still has been good trip.

I guess we were supposed to be on Imagery but have been switched to Felicity. I’m surprised you’re on your way to Amsterdam when we’ll be meeting it in Basel on Sunday. Guess they travel pretty fast without passengers on board! I’m glad you still had a good trip, the cruise lines are dealing with difficult conditions and doing their best, I guess.

We have now been informed that we will be doing a ship swap tomorrow to Felicity. So far I think Avalon is handling it well, hopefully it works out well. We’re driving on the bus to Heidelberg today and the Affinity is staying in Strasbourg, not optimal but can’t be helped.