First Time Cruiser

EddieK76

So now that our kids have priced themselves out of Mexico for the most part and Disney is too expensive we have begun looking at cruises. Our timeframe to go is ultra limited due to work schedules, sports schedule and school starting. So we are looking at the going anywhere from the 16th July to roughly the 25th of July and a 3-5 day cruise. We would need ports such as Jacksonville, Mobile, Port Canaveral, SC, and NOLA.

I have lots of questions

1.) Does it matter which deck we stay on? We are planning on an interior room just to cut costs down

2.) Any certain ships to avoid on a cruise line?

3.) How are the private islands for each cruise line?

4.). Any specific times to book better than others?

5.) Is it better to book directly through the cruise line website or use one of the many websites?

I'll probably have more as this thread evolves but those are to start :)

I would get a TA to help you with this. We can't recommend TA's on Cruise Critic so I would ask a friend who cruises if they have a recommendation.

Private Islands are always nice. It's more like an extension of the ship and pretty much a beach day.

Shorter cruises can be party cruises so I would aim for 5 days rather then three.

I would book sooner rather then later. Lowest price categories go first. If price goes down have TA followup to get lower price.

As to the deck I would go for the least expensive room since you mentioned inside cabin. I like as mid ship as I can get as you will feel the motion less then say being very far forward. Lower decks tend to feel rough seas less then being on a higher deck.

Keith

So now that our kids have priced themselves out of Mexico for the most part and Disney is too expensive we have begun looking at cruises. Our timeframe to go is ultra limited due to work schedules, sports schedule and school starting. So we are looking at the going anywhere from the 16th July to roughly the 25th of July and a 3-5 day cruise. We would need ports such as Jacksonville, Mobile, Port Canaveral, SC, and NOLA.

I have lots of questions

1.) Does it matter which deck we stay on? We are planning on an interior room just to cut costs down

2.) Any certain ships to avoid on a cruise line?

3.) How are the private islands for each cruise line?

4.). Any specific times to book better than others?

5.) Is it better to book directly through the cruise line website or use one of the many websites?

I'll probably have more as this thread evolves but those are to start :)

Each of your questions have been asked and answered many many times on CC. You may want to use the search feature with keywords/phrases of importance to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Each of your questions have been asked and answered many many times on CC. You may want to use the search feature with keywords/phrases of importance to you.

Thanks, I understand they may be part of a search, however, as an admin of a few travel groups on Facebook I've never liked that answer. If we just said "oh search for it' there would never be questions asked.

Thanks, I understand they may be part of a search, however, as an admin of a few travel groups on Facebook I've never liked that answer. If we just said "oh search for it' there would never be questions asked.

Nonetheless, searching would save you a whole lot of time and energy. There must have been 10 threads on the "use a TA" question in as many past days.

A cruise savvy TA would also be helpful to you. And, yes, there's already a ton of threads on how to find them.

Good luck.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There will be fewer ships sailing in the Caribbean during your dates. Most go to Alaska, Europe and Canada/New England.

You didn't say how many children.

Cabins for 4 go very quickly -- so you need to book soon.

Definitely talk to a travel agent who specializes in cruises.

Besides the cost of the cruise cruise lines also add on gratuities for everyone staying in a cabin -- including children -- they can start at $13 per person per day. Many cruise lines charge for sodas -- only thing free is the water, milk, coffee, teas, and some juices at breakfast.

Once you decide on a ship, look at the deck plans and figure out where you will likely spend most of your DAYTIME hours....and pick a deck within a few flights of stairs from that area. Just makes life more convenient. You tend to come and go to the cabin more in the daytime than in the evening...and not having to use elevators is a big timesaver!

As stated, call a TA. Because of the dates and port restrictions you need someone who can do a search of ALL cruiselines at once. No need to worry about your other questions if there is no cruise available.

How old are the kids? If you want connecting cabins (two cabins with an inside door so you can go from on cabin to the other without going into the hall), these often book up quickly. If the kids are older, you can get by with two adjoining cabins -- either next to each other or across the hall.

I would avoid a cabin that is directly under a public area -- Ideally I like to have a cabin above and below me. A lower deck cabin is fine if you get an inside. One near the center of the ship will have the least movement.