Please Help Me! I Have Never Been on a Cruise Before!

kierstenlpeeples

Hi there!

My name is Kiersten Peeples. I am trying to plan a surprise cruise for my boyfriend of 7 years. He is graduating nursing school and so I would like to give him something spectacular. He has always wanted to go on a cruise ship from the Carnival Cruise Line. I went on Carnival's website and picked out my top favorite cruise lines that the both of us would enjoy based on the amenities that each cruise had. Those are:

1. Carnival Vista

2. Carnival Breeze

3. Carnival Magic

4. Carnival Dream

5. Carnival Sunshine

I know for a fact that I would like a balcony. The cheapest ones I have found are over $2000 for the both of us. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find cheaper tickets or is this how they are usually priced?

Some more details:

Departure Date: Anytime in June 2018

Cruise Length: 3 - 5 days --- 7 days MAX

Departure Port: Anywhere in Florida

Price: I am looking to spend no more than $1500 for the both of us

Destination: It does not matter - anywhere is fine.

If anyone could help me I would be forever grateful as I have no idea what I am doing. :o Thank you so much for reading and I am looking forward to hearing back from you soon! :)

Is there a reason you are focusing on Carnival?

Good question.

OP really needs to talk to a TA who specializes in cruises.

That TA will/should interview her regarding travel preferences, expectations and means. If her tastes tend toward upscale hotels and restaurants, there are more appropriate cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good question.

OP really needs to talk to a TA who specializes in cruises.

That TA will/should interview her regarding travel preferences, expectations and means. If her tastes tend toward upscale hotels and restaurants, there are more appropriate cruise lines.

Where can I find a TA? How much do they cost?

Where can I find a TA? How much do they cost?

While I've never used one, a TA should not cost you anything additional. They are paid (commission I believe) by the cruise lines.

I just don't like to put an additional layer between myself and the company I'm contracting with.

You sound like a lovely young lady and to purchase a cruise for your boyfriend is a very nice gift. May I suggest you do some research and tons of reading here. You state that you can spend $1500MAX. Have you also considered all of the extra money that is entailed in cruising? Transportation, parking at the port if you are driving. Tips for taxis, shuttles and port servers. Gratuities to the staff on the ship (which is added to your account). Drinks, cocktails and other things I cannot think of right now. Cruising is not cheap. Please take a little time and do a little research before committing to anything. You should really speak to a travel agent in your town also. I wish you the best of luck.

While I've never used one, a TA should not cost you anything additional. They are paid (commission I believe) by the cruise lines.

I just don't like to put an additional layer between myself and the company I'm contracting with.

The only downsides to that plan are:

if there's a significant cruise line issue (in which case, they'll do their best to please a TA who may book hundreds of thousands or mor with them vs you, a rounding error in their bottom line.

The best TA's (for any particular line) may have incentive funds from the cruise line to pass on AND will usually share commissions at about 5-10% of th commissionable fare.

As for OP wanting to find a good one: there's many many threads on CC regarding how best to do it.

When we first started to cruise our budget dictated an ocean view and not a balcony. When our children got older and we could afford it we put them in inside cabins while we did get a balcony. Our now grown up children did not mind insides, as they are often quiet and very good for sleep. With plenty of public areas with great views you may not miss a balcony at all.

As others have mentioned you will have a few costs not included in the fare. Tips are on top of the fare. You also have transportation costs. Alcohol and soft drinks (coke, sprite) are not included but lemonade, tap water, regular coffee and all food in the regular dinner venues will be.

Google travel agents in your town, or ask your friends who they recommend. We cannot recommend anyone on CC.

Think shorter cruises, and perhaps ones closer to where you live.

We find cruises to be a good value and can often do a trip (not incuding transportation and tips) for $100 per day per person.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise was 5 days in an ocean view cabin - the balcony adds a bit to the cost. We enjoyed it so much that we added to the length of the cruise when our jobs and budget allowed. Keep in mind cabin cost, plus gratuities (to all the staff that serve you throughout the ship), any on shore activities and of course, alcohol is that is a consideration. Good luck

A budget of $1500 is not going to get you a balcony for even a 5 day cruise.

Lots of other factors as mentioned -- drinks, taxes, fees, anything you may do on shore like getting to a beach (taxis and tips and maybe eating ashore). And everyone is charged a gratuity per person per day -- usually around $13 per person per day. And you will probably drive to the port and need to park the car for a few days -- more costs.

there are TAs and there are TAs ... they are NOT all the same

you don't show 'where you are' in your pop up profile but if you are in/near a significant 'population area' there is probably a TA that specializes in CRUISE VACATIONS near you. You mention ANY PORT IN FL so I'll guess you are in Florida and then there IS a cruise special TA near you! While not a guarantee of success, it does increase your odds. You can also get TA service thru AAA, COSTCO, SAMS, BJ'S ........ which depending on where you are may help (I did not mention any SPECIFIC TA did I?)

Even if you are locked onto CARNIVAL, consulting a TA is not a bad idea.

As others have mentioned, if $1500 is your TOTAL BUDGET you need to factor in A BUNCH ....

I'll review the list others have mentioned and I may not cover it all ...

- transportation to the port. You mention 'any FL port' so I assume this means you plan to drive to the port. Parking at ports is $$ ... it can hit $25 a day. Most ports charge 8 days for a 7 night cruise. Yes it stinks but they do it. Depending on the port offsite parking MIGHT cut this to $11/day but they typically still charge 6 days for a 5 night cruise .....

- TIPS ...... expect $13 to $15 per person per day for tips that cover food and room staff. To not pay this is a no-no ..... it is a 'feature' of cruising. Most lines will charge this to your room account automatically. It can be 'pre-paid' and can be canx'd from your charge and paid in cash but any way you slice it, it should be paid ....

- DRINKS .... anything from the bar and this includes soda is gonna cost you. A beer or a well drink figure $8 ... a foofoo frozen drink $10 to $12. Call brand, add a couple of bucks ... per drink PLUS TIP. Often there are 'unlimited drink packages' .... plan for an average of $50 per person per day and no you can't buy one and share. Most cruise lines are smart to that dodge and require both in a cabin to buy the package so ... $100/day for unlimited drinks from the bar or $10 per drink ....

- SHORE TIME .... if you do an excursion thru the ship $$, DIY still $$, go ashore and just walk around but duck into M'ville ..$$

just sayin' ......

you might want to play on Royal Carib' web site .....

I've gone on some short cruises out of Canaveral for less than $100 a night per person (before tips, drinks etc ....)

You might find a 4 night (Mon to Friday), inside (not balc' sorry) that could fit into your budget.

happy huntig

May I make a small suggestion on the cost of the Balcony costing issue?

If you book either the Dream/Magic/Vista or Breeze you can book a 'inside walkway' cabin. These cabins have a huge window that looks out onto the front of the ship and the ocean. But what they do have is a 'secret deck' that is just a few doors away from you cabin and out onto the front of the ship. I know it is not a balcony but there are often deckchairs out there for you to enjoy the sun and without much bother from other cruises. Bets cabin we have ever stayed in TBH for the price.

If you look around carefully you can easily get one of these cabins for a 5 day cruise.

To find these you need to search inside cabin then walkway view on Carnival's websiteor as a TA about them. The code for them is a 4J. If you search 4J Cabin Carnival you will get piccies.

Photos below (hell knows why they are called inside):

0379588eb75a9b483bd559bc9e5683e9_800.jpeg

11kczf9.jpg

splendor-secret-deck.jpg

You might want to look at other cruise lines like NCL or MSC. There are promotions that could help save you some money. Finally, any reason why you have to go in June? If you can go during low season, prices will be cheaper.

A bit of checking shows that Carnival Victory - and a couple of others - have short cruises in June - 3 or 4 days , even on a balcony , which would come in at a bit under $1,500 for two from Florida ports in June.

O P just needs to dig - go on Carnival's web site -or on phone, or talk with a travel agent.

Hi there!

My name is Kiersten Peeples. I am trying to plan a surprise cruise for my boyfriend of 7 years. He is graduating nursing school and so I would like to give him something spectacular. He has always wanted to go on a cruise ship from the Carnival Cruise Line. I went on Carnival's website and picked out my top favorite cruise lines that the both of us would enjoy based on the amenities that each cruise had. Those are:

1. Carnival Vista

2. Carnival Breeze

3. Carnival Magic

4. Carnival Dream

5. Carnival Sunshine

I know for a fact that I would like a balcony. The cheapest ones I have found are over $2000 for the both of us. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find cheaper tickets or is this how they are usually priced?

Some more details:

Departure Date: Anytime in June 2018

Cruise Length: 3 - 5 days --- 7 days MAX

Departure Port: Anywhere in Florida

Price: I am looking to spend no more than $1500 for the both of us

Destination: It does not matter - anywhere is fine.

If anyone could help me I would be forever grateful as I have no idea what I am doing. :o Thank you so much for reading and I am looking forward to hearing back from you soon! :)

you are so sweet to do this

advise: you both must have pass ports, easy to get google how and follow instructions. do this right as it takes time to process the pass ports

if you are flying, you must have correct names as the appear on you flight and boarding docs. and the same name that is on your pass ports

google packing lists, they are very helpful, google them for help on packing.

you need to pack a checked bag and a carry on

in the checked bag, cloths, shoes and bathing suits, stuff you do not need right away

in your carry bag any thing of value, money, jewelry, documents, electronics and medications.

see you Dr, dentest and eye dr before you go, renew all meds especially birth control unless you like surprises. take on old set of glasses in case you lose them or they fall overboard.

have fun

Just received this in an email.

wo more Carnival Cruise Line ships have received failing grades from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) USPH Vessel Sanitation Program. The Carnival Vista was issued a failing grade of 79 out of 100 on an inspection that took place December 2, 2017, while the Carnival Breeze was issued a score of 77 on an inspection that took place December 10, 2017. A Carnival representative tells Travel Agent that the cruise line has taken immediate action to identify the issues identified during the inspections.

The report on Carnival Vista identified a number of issues, including failing to isolate two crew members suffering gastrointestinal symptoms until symptom-free for a minimum of 48 hours. The crew members did not work or eat in a crew mess while symptomatic. On the Carnival Breeze, issues included inaccuracies and incomplete information in the ship’s medical surveillance log, as well as maintenance issues with the ship’s espresso machines in Fahrenheit 555, Cucina and Tandoor.

The new reports follow the publication of a failing grade by the CDC for the Carnival Triumph earlier this month. The Triumph received a score of 78 during an inspection that took place in November. Carnival told Travel Agent it addressed the issues raised in that report, and the ship received a score of 98 during a re-inspection that took place January 6.

“The most recent USPH re-inspection of Carnival Triumph, which resulted in a score of 98, is indicative of the swift corrective measures we take in response to an inspection,” a Carnival representative tells Travel Agent. “We have taken the same immediate approach with Carnival Breeze and Carnival Vista.”

Carnival also noted that it funds the Vessel Sanitation Program, along with other cruise operators, in order to ensure that the line is continuously auditing its shipboard operations.

“Rest assured we will leverage our learnings from this process as a best practice,” Carnival said. “Our most important focus is always the safety and well-being of our guests. We remain confident that our shipboard operations, especially in food handling and preparation, are of the highest quality and we are always committed to delivering an exceptional experience to our guests.”

The Vessel Sanitation Program assists the cruise ship industry in preventing and controlling the spread of gastrointestinal illnesses, such as norovirus. Any score below an 86 out of 100 is considered a failing grade.

As another poster said, you and your boyfriend either need a passport (recommended), or an official government issued birth certificate plus a photo ID (such as a drivers license) to board the ship. If your boyfriend does not have this, I'm not sure how you get him to get this without tipping off the surprise.

As others have said, I doubt you'll get a balcony for $1500 total, especially when you add additional costs. Plus, June is a more expensive time. The least expensive is now (Jan. and Feb,). My favorite time and also less expensive is the first two weeks in December, when the ships are decorated for Christmas.

For a June, 2018, cruise, you might find cabin selections limited. Cruise ships often book up early, especially during the summer months. And, you have lots more kids on board in June.

Some ships have age rules -- sometimes someone at least 25 year of age must be in the cabin unless the couple is married. I'm not sure the rules on Carnival -- any CC'ers know?

Thank you everyone for all these wonderful tips! I am taking the time out to respond to everyone individually! If I haven't responded to you yet, I will be shortly. I want to get everyone's thoughts on this....

I actually took the advice of what most everyone was saying and contacted a travel agent. He was able to find me a 5 night cruise on Carnival Conquest with a balcony. For June 2 - June 7. It goes from Port Everglades, Florida to Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, and Nassau Bahamas, and then back to Port Everglades Florida. It's $1992.70 with travel insurance included. What does everyone think? Is this a good deal?

Check out RCL Mariner of the seas sailing from Miami. We just booked a 3 night balcony on the hump, deck 8, $ 755.00 total for 2 sailing in Nov. She is undergoing a 100 million refurb in April. Be aware that any cruise 3-5 days is considered a booze cruise. happy cruising. PS. check out any ship you are considering on youtube before making a decision.

I actually took the advice of what most everyone was saying and contacted a travel agent. He was able to find me a 5 night cruise on Carnival Conquest with a balcony. For June 2 - June 7. It goes from Port Everglades, Florida to Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, and Nassau Bahamas, and then back to Port Everglades Florida. It's $1992.70 with travel insurance included. What does everyone think? Is this a good deal?

I just want to remind you that that quote is only part of the actual cost. It may not include port charges, taxes, etc. It also won't cover on-board expenses like drinks, service charges (tips), photos, etc.

I just want to remind you that that quote is only part of the actual cost. It may not include port charges, taxes, etc. It also won't cover on-board expenses like drinks, service charges (tips), photos, etc.

It actually does cover port charge and taxes. Just not on board expenses. 5f6d8ee19dc37c794bc1bb11576f0cd2.jpg