Traveling with a cane

easyed

I use a cane. Folding cane is handy when onboard the plane since you can store it on the overhead bin while in flight. Mine is not folding so I just lay it on the floor without obstructing anyone. I had no problems with security and received courtesy treatment in every travel situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I first started using a cane, I had a tendency to prop it someplace while using that hand and forget it. So I added a wrist band. I believe canes can be purchased with a wrist band now. Canes do have a tendency to be left behind. Both my father and a friend left theirs someplace and I made a number of trips going back to get mine.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

As a new cane user for stability I would appreciate any tips and advice for traveling with a cane on cruises and planes. Are folding canes useful? Any problems at security check points? Thank you.

I am not a fan of folding canes as they are not that stable and can collapse very easily if you don't set them up correctly.

you do have to send any cane through the x ray machine. airports have nifty solid acrylic ones you can use in lieu of. didn't see any at the Tampa cruise terminal but that doesn't mean cruise terminals don't have any stashed some where. or you could just ask to be hand wanded/searched

If I could go back, I'd get one that has the tripod base. especially for those steep ramps getting on board the ship.

If I could go back, I'd get one that has the tripod base. especially for those steep ramps getting on board the ship.

Those tripod bases can be retro fitted to most canes and are great 'at the feeding troughs' when balancing a plate as well.

I agree that a folding cane lacks the stability of a traditional one.

Ruth

I have both folding and traditional canes. I haven’t found much of a difference. The folding cane fits in my backpack beautifully for traveling and flying.

I’d recommend getting one of each. Save the folding one when you need to take it apart at a restaurant, theater, etc.

If you find the cane helpful.... bring it. I too like my folding cane when I need it.

At the airport or cruise terminal? Make sure the security staff see it. You'll likely be pulled into an express lane for expedited service.

you might find a seat stick useful-folds flat to use as cane but also can open up to give a rest if in long lines etc

My husband finds the cane a visual warning to others that he is not steady on his feet especially in crowds

his biggest threat is small children running into him and has sometimes used the cane to plant himself firmly as he cant take evasive action

you might find a seat stick useful-folds flat to use as cane but also can open up to give a rest if in long lines etc

My husband finds the cane a visual warning to others that he is not steady on his feet especially in crowds

his biggest threat is small children running into him and has sometimes used the cane to plant himself firmly as he cant take evasive action

We are currently looking into one of these.

There have been occasional times when there just is not any place to rest, period.

There are times I cannot walk far without resting, and standing still is often far worse, especially if there isn't even a wall or post to lean on.

They seem inexpensive enough that if it really doesn't work well, or perhaps just aren't for me/us, well... not much lost.

GC

There have been occasional times when there just is not any place to rest, period.

There are times I cannot walk far without resting, and standing still is often far worse, especially if there isn't even a wall or post to lean on.

GC

I didn't have much luck with the tripod seat cane simply because it didn't offer balance as a walking cane. We did a major land trip to Provence and found I really still needed my regular cane for full balance.

But as you observed they're inexpensive so worth a try.

Ruth

If you are talking about the actual brand named "seat stick" (English manufacturer), it is terrific.

If you are talking about the actual brand named "seat stick" (English manufacturer), it is terrific.

That does look as if it would also work as a walking stick. I needed the stability of the tripod but it doesn't so double duty as a traditional cane.

Ruth

That does look as if it would also work as a walking stick. I needed the stability of the tripod but it doesn't so double duty as a traditional cane.

Ruth

The brand "seat stick" is not one of those cheap tripods. It is an actual cane with a folding plastic "saddle seat" (with handle) at its top.

The brand "seat stick" is not one of those cheap tripods. It is an actual cane with a folding plastic "saddle seat" (with handle) at its top.

Is there anyway that you can post a picture of the seat stick? or give a site on internet where I can see it?

Is there anyway that you can post a picture of the seat stick? or give a site on internet where I can see it?

e91d180a52118568fe3eac2a8c7ce377.jpg

Try this for starters:

https://www.fashionablecanes.com/88501.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrC1ByX_7X1O0_wLhYoVWQGK4-BRSsDACcWtEQaQ3g3zpk8GiCmtjU0aAiRxEALw_wcB

They seem inexpensive enough that if it really doesn't work well, or perhaps just aren't for me/us, well... not much lost.

Just remember when using seat canes.... the handle needs to be in front of you so you don't tip. It's not meant to be used as a backrest.

For a guy, seat canes are OK. For a women, the front position of the handle may be inappropriate. A folding tripod stool would be a better choice.