Fess Up! Share stories of mistakes you've made while cruising.

Editor Gina

we told him about the car still running and nobody around it. He laughed and said the people would be back cause their passports and boarding passes were sitting on the console..

Sure hope they had a spare set of keys with them. Or there was a wire coat hanger just lying around.

Driving to Port Canaveral in a van with the entire family, my Mother decides that she wants to go out of our way to eat at a Cracker Barrel. We go in and eat and discover that when my Mother said "I'll lock the van" she meant she would push the button on the door and lock it...without removing the keys. Van is locked, it is now coming a torrential rain and we are in the middle of nowhere. We go inside and inquire about a locksmith and discover that it will take them over 4 hours to get there. We finally get a clothes hanger from the restaurant and wiggle it under the rubber partially tearing it in the process and get back on the road.

Another cruise we let a family member totally hijack our planned cruise when she decided that instead of SIX of us going, she would invite EVERYONE in the family to go along with us, bringing our total to 27 family members. We had planned to fly, but she charters a bus...for an overnight drive, which cost us more than our plane tickets. After a lot of pressure, we end up in the bus with a bunch of people that didn't enjoy ANYTHING.Don't even get me started on the ride down there with the home cooked food they were carrying. We finally get to the cruise and they... Didn't drink, didn't like the pools, didn't like the food, didn't like having to dress in pants to go to the Main Dining room, yelled at the kids around the pool and made everyone miserable and they insisted that they "tag along" everywhere we went and kept reminding us that they didn't like people "drinking." Some of them got into such an argument one night, I thought security would be called. You could hear them all the way down the hall and they were slamming cabin doors and yelling. By the time we disembarked and got on the bus (only because we couldn't get booked on a plane), we weren't speaking and all of us "drinkers" broke out our booze and started drinking on the bus which they objected to which made the drinking just about all we enjoyed about the 12 hour ride. We haven't spoken to this part of the family since then.

I just checked in to my room on deck 14 on Oasis of the Seas. My parents were in a room on deck 12. I knew they had boarded, so I decided I'd go surprise them in their room. I walked down 2 stories, found their room, and noticed the door was slightly propped open. I busted in and shouted "police, hands up!"

The old couple inside about had heart attacks. They weren't my parents. We were both very confused for a few minutes. Then I realized what happened.

There was no deck 13 so when I walked down 2 stories, I was actually on 11. I saw the last 3 numbers of the room number and didn't catch that the first 2 numbers were 11, not 12.

All ended well though because, luckily, the old man was a retired cop. After the few rounds I bought them, we became pretty good friends.

On our last cruise we traveled with our cousin and his wife. To say they are “needy” people would be an understatement.

When the announcement was made that the rooms were ready we walked them to their cabin. Their cabin door was shut but the door for the cabin next door was open as the steward was still finishing it up. I even pointed to their door and said “this is your cabin-707”. Then we made of the mistake of walking away.

Later on they confessed that for whatever reason they chose to go through the open cabin room. They unpacked and even did some serious bathroom business!!

The people who really had the cabin arrived, opened the door and asked them what they were doing in their room!! So while these people stood there our cousin had to throw all of their stuff in the suitcase and do the “walk of shame” to the cabin next door. (don’t know what they did about the bathroom issue!!)

Why did they go into an open door when we showed them their door and cabin number? That is a question we are still asking today!! We are traveling with them again in 2 weeks. This time we are walking them all the way to the INSIDE their room.......:eek:

Lord help us.....;p

I like to pack a few weeks early so I can think about what I need and don't. Typically I take things in and out if my suitcase a few times before I settle on what actually goes. One trip we took our kids with us and I packed early for them as well. I decided to leave out their undergarments until the day before we left, as they needed to use them up until our departure. Needless to say, when we got on the ship, I realized their undergarments were limited to what they were wearing, I'd forgotten to add them last minute. First port of call I had to take a taxi to a Walgreen's and buy a package of poorly fitting underwear, but it worked. Luckily they were in swimsuits most of the days. Lesson learned: Make a packing list and check it twice!!!