Vow renewal on Princess- any experience?

MTJtraveller

We did them about six years ago after four years of marriage due to me surviving a life threatening illness and celebrating my DH loyalty. It was amazing. O believe there were several courses Les, but the vows were said separately for each couple. It was amazing. Standard.

We are again renewing our vows next week on the Regal (celebrating 10 years of marriage) also the standard package. Surprised DH for Christmas with this one. We pre purchased the photo package so we should get all of the pics taken during the ceremony.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

How did you pre-purchase the photo package? Did you do it through Cruise Personaliser or through the event coordinator?

I looked at Cruise Personaliser under Photography but it doesn't say whether the packages offered are for the whole cruise or for one day/event. Not much details.

My cruise is coming this July 22nd but I still hear nothing from Princess about the details of the vow renewal package I booked and paid for through Cruise Personaliser. I booked to have it done on one particular sea day (July 23rd). Is the coordinator supposed to contact you, or are you supposed to contact one?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
How did you pre-purchase the photo package? Did you do it through Cruise Personaliser or through the event coordinator?

I looked at Cruise Personaliser under Photography but it doesn't say whether the packages offered are for the whole cruise or for one day/event. Not much details.

My cruise is coming this July 22nd but I still hear nothing from Princess about the details of the vow renewal package I booked and paid for through Cruise Personaliser. I booked to have it done on one particular sea day (July 23rd). Is the coordinator supposed to contact you, or are you supposed to contact one?

Thanks!

Realize you already sailed, but figured I would answer this question for others potentially coming along. The "All-Inclusive Photo Package" is NOT exactly all inclusive. There are terms and conditions, NOT noted when you prepay online, that exclude the photos from a vow Renewal. You just get one 8x10, framed, with the renewal package. We did a renewal in Jan (2017) as a trial, before our 25th anniversary next year. We wanted to see how it was, before we got a group together for the big anniversary. I did a review, including photos, and a link to it is in my signature.

We have booked for our 25th, and currently have a group of 14 joining us. We stuck with the standard package, as I thought it was a really good value. Instead of spending the extra $$ on the deluxe package options, we are hosting our group in the Crown Grill after the renewal. We want a party, after all ;-)

We just did this on Ruby in July for our 50th. We had brought our 3 daughters, spouses and 5 grandchildren ages 10, 12, 14, 18, and 20. They did a wonderful job. I had expected a group ceremony, but it was just us. There were others doing the same thing but they spaced them about 15 minutes apart. It felt very special to us. We also had some friends and relatives with us, 21 in all. Not a dry eye in the house.

My husband and I renewed our vows on the Ruby 2 weeks ago. It was just us in the chapel. They had 2 other couples and we were all spaced about 15 minutes apart. We purchased this package when we booked the cruise and we paid an additional $199 on board for the photo package.

This package includes:

• Personalized ceremony*
  • Floral Bouquet & Boutonnieres
  • Commemorative certificate for "renewal of vows" signed by the Captain
  • One bottle of champagne for your stateroom
  • Chocolate-dipped Strawberries
  • Two Princess Cruises souvenir champagne glasses
  • A framed formal portrait
  • Godiva heart-shaped box of chocolates

$226 — Renewal of Vows Package

It was totally worth it and more. It was a wonderful experience and everything was handled just perfectly. :D

Realize you already sailed, but figured I would answer this question for others potentially coming along. The "All-Inclusive Photo Package" is NOT exactly all inclusive. There are terms and conditions, NOT noted when you prepay online, that exclude the photos from a vow Renewal. You just get one 8x10, framed, with the renewal package. We did a renewal in Jan (2017) as a trial, before our 25th anniversary next year. We wanted to see how it was, before we got a group together for the big anniversary. I did a review, including photos, and a link to it is in my signature.

We have booked for our 25th, and currently have a group of 14 joining us. We stuck with the standard package, as I thought it was a really good value. Instead of spending the extra $$ on the deluxe package options, we are hosting our group in the Crown Grill after the renewal. We want a party, after all ;-)

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I saw your review and it closely resembled what we experienced. Here's the gist of what happened.

1. We took Deluxe package, only because we wanted to check out the captain's bridge. Totally worth it!

2. You're right. No info, no nothing until you board the ship. Then, there is a letter in state room, asking you to speak with the Customer Relations officer who is in-charge. The only time you get to arrange something pre-sailing is if you book a wedding package.

3. Thank goodness I didn't take the leap of faith and take AI photo package, thinking that I can get everything in, including the ROV photos. You're right, ROV package only has 1 8x10 framed photo. Anything more, it has to be purchased separately. And AI photo package does not cover events.

4. When we met Customer Relations officer, that was when everything was discussed - which day you can have it done (you can't choose the date because it subjects to captain's availability, so we're cool with it), when to have the bridge visit (also subject to captain's availibility), when to have the yummies delivered to your stateroom, etc. This is the part when one gets the chance to be specific - for example, I wondered if our parents (who sailed with us to be part of ROV) could join at the captain's bridge instead of us - and they invited everyone in the ROV party!

5. Photo stuff is the most stressful part. A photographer and videographer will certainly be there to record your moments, but they won't tell you the package/price BEFORE your event (not even if you pay the Photo Gallery a visit to ask). Their strategy is to do everything from videos, photo montage and photos printed, then they show you to win your heart, then they will tell you how much. If you find their price expensive, you would wonder what they would do to the stuff you didn't want! (The answer is that they will either throw away, or recycle good ones for marketing purposes). Frankly, the photos are alright (not great, but not horrible) but we decided to take the all-in package (because that's the only package that allows you to have digital copies and we want digital more than anything else they made). We made them reprint because the original prints they showed us all had white vignette and we're not fans of Instagram-style vignette. And then they decided to give both copies of our prints since they were going to throw them anyway. They have a very bad habit of letting you review your photos one day before the last day, because that means you don't have time to be selective and you are forced to make decisions quick or you will never see the photos before your bags are packed one night before you disembark. So here's my tips for those wanting to capture special moments:

a) If you are VERY fussy about your photo quality, you only want digital, and you are budget conscious, have a fellow passenger with great photography skills and DSLR to take photos for you, and give him/her a spa treat, or a meal or something nice. This way you have control over your photo quality, get them digital, and still spend less (or stress less).

b) Granted, the Photography team onboard is still cheaper than your standard wedding/event photographer if you compare. It is just that the system and timeline may be a frustrating exercise.

c) If you sailed with Princess before and you have that Princess-special USB dongle, bring it along with your trip so that you don't have to buy it again to be "eligible for your digital copies purchases".

Overall we enjoyed the Deluxe ROV package, and we'll probably do it again for our special anniversary. Perhaps just the regular one, and we'll be more prepared with the photography part.

Sounds like you had a lovely ROV experience 😄 Thanks for sharing

If you recall any of the photo pricing, would love to know what it recently was going for-- There is a pricing PDF floating around, but no idea if it's current.

Our kids are along this time, as well as friends (including our friend that took pics last time) so I'm thinking I may buy the package -- like you I'm more interested in the digitals. But I would need to budget for it in advance.

Did a Renewal of Vows on Golden for 5th, Golden to Hawaii for 10th, Emerald for 15th and will be doing it again on the Caribbean through the Panama Canal.

Still waiting for her to say "Not this time" clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

Seriously, its done quite well and they accommodate most requests, I was able to sing "Hawaiian Wedding Song" to my bride during our Hawaiian cruise ROV.

We've had both the deluxe and regular, and now find the regular quite sufficient.

Do it at least once, heck do it 4 times!!

• 1 month later...
Sounds like you had a lovely ROV experience 😄 Thanks for sharing

If you recall any of the photo pricing, would love to know what it recently was going for-- There is a pricing PDF floating around, but no idea if it's current.

Our kids are along this time, as well as friends (including our friend that took pics last time) so I'm thinking I may buy the package -- like you I'm more interested in the digitals. But I would need to budget for it in advance.

Lucky for you. I took a photo but I don't have time to figure out how to upload this so I'll type it down:

Package 1:

DVD photo montage

$199.99

Package 2:

DVD photo montage

2 - 8x10 Portraits

1 - 8x10 Parent Folio

4x6 Photo Proofs (50)

$279.99

Package 3:

DVD photo montage

2 - 8x10 Portraits

1 - 8x10 Parent Folio

4x6 Photo Proofs (50)

All ROV images on a CD/DVD

$399.99

We took package 3 and they made us buy the Princess USB to contain the digital files, because "they didn't update the price list and they no longer give in CD/DVD for digital files, except photo montage". I quote as how they said it.

We already had a Princess USB from the regular photo package for our ports of call, formal dinner etc, and we couldn't believe we had to buy another one. After a lot of to-and-fro and putting our foot down, we managed to negotiate to stick to ONE Princes USB instead of two, had additional 8R Photo Folio thrown in, and a batch of "unwanted" prints handed to us instead of throwing them away (we made them reprint everything because the original 8R and 4R prints they presented to us had white vignette and we didn't like that style - so yes 2 sets of 50 4R prints, and 10 8R prints in total).

Guess whose mother-in-law and mother became excited owners of the "extra prints"? :D:D:D

• 2 months later...

Hello! DH & I are taking a 15 day RT from Los Angeles - Hawaiian cruise in Oct 2018. We are going to get the Deluxe Vow renewal package. Neither of us have ever done a Bridge Tour (this will be our 10th cruise and our 10th different Princess ship!) This is for our 20th wedding anniversary.

I do have a couple of questions:

#1 - Is the ceremony in the chapel or up on deck?

#2 - I know they give you a bouquet, can you give that to someone else and bring your own? I read that the bouquet is Orchids. I'm not a fan of Orchids.

#3 - Can you arrange a small party in one of the clubs afterwards? (ie, Skywalkers - we'll be on the Star).

#4 - I've read that some people's ceremony was on the first formal night. Are they all on formal night?

Thank you for your help :)

Hello! DH & I are taking a 15 day RT from Los Angeles - Hawaiian cruise in Oct 2018. We are going to get the Deluxe Vow renewal package. Neither of us have ever done a Bridge Tour (this will be our 10th cruise and our 10th different Princess ship!) This is for our 20th wedding anniversary.

I do have a couple of questions:

Ours was in the chapel, and no alternate choice was offered. I didn't ask, either.

#2 - I know they give you a bouquet, can you give that to someone else and bring your own? I read that the bouquet is Orchids. I'm not a fan of Orchids.

Not sure about bringing real flowers. Silk is fine. I am hoping for our upcoming VR, that I can have some imput on the flowers

#3 - Can you arrange a small party in one of the clubs afterwards? (ie, Skywalkers - we'll be on the Star).

Don't think you can do a private one unless you book and pay for the room and service. So either an informal meet up at the venue you like, or book specialty dining for your group (this is what we are doing)

#4 - I've read that some people's ceremony was on the first formal night. Are they all on formal night?

Thank you for your help :)

We were allowed to book a specific day in our personalizer pre-cruise. They don't let you pick a time, though.

Hi Denali2003,

3kidsncats has replied with good info and I will add more based on my experience in July 2017.

Definitely chapel. The only way you could choose a specific location is if you're taking a Wedding package, not ROV.

The bouquet is actually not fixed. You will find out on the day itself. Mine was white roses. But I knew there was 100% chance I won't like what they give so I brought my own sunflower bouquet. Silk though - they won't let you bring in fresh flowers for quarantine reasons. Best decision to bring own (silk/plastic) if you are fussy about your choice of flowers.

Yes. But only through Specialty dining reservation and only for a table or two (and pay for it). No block-off sections or private rooms (I didn't try the private room option though).

You could choose it on your Cruise Personaliser before the cruise when you book for ROV. But on the day you board the ship and meet the Customer Relations officer who is in-charge (I mentioned it in my earlier posts here), you will be presented with a list of dates and times you could do anyway. It is very popular to do during formal nights (which is usually a full sea day) so very likely you get to do it during formal night so that everyone gets to wear dressy outfit from wedding to dinner. Very subjective to captain's availability (the captain needs to be able to handover bridge command to his crew temporarily to make it to each wedding/ROV). We only could confirm our time on the morning itself despite having it communicated on Day 1 (and it was stressful because it might collide with our dinner timing - yes that can happen too)

Hope it helps! You'll love it - but you will have to set very low expectation on logistics and coordination lol.

Yes. But only through Specialty dining reservation and only for a table or two (and pay for it). No block-off sections or private rooms (I didn't try the private room option though).

We have booked (and prepaid) several tables in the Crown Grill all at the same time in the cruise personalizer. To do this, I had to book some of the tables under my daughters personalizer as they only allow a max of a table for 6. We won't know the ceremony time until we board, so I may need to adjust the dining time as soon as we board and I can see what is noted in the letter that should be in my cabin. We have booked the Owners Suite, which gives us priority dining reservations, which hopefully will make it easier to get any time adjustments we need. I will speak with the staff in the Crown Grill to get the tables in the same area. No guarantee on how they will accommodate us, but it's the best I can do ahead of time. I do wish they would offer more pre-cruise planning options for Renewals. It doesn't make sense that they won't.

You could choose it on your Cruise Personaliser before the cruise when you book for ROV. But on the day you board the ship and meet the Customer Relations officer who is in-charge (I mentioned it in my earlier posts here), you will be presented with a list of dates and times you could do anyway. It is very popular to do during formal nights (which is usually a full sea day) so very likely you get to do it during formal night so that everyone gets to wear dressy outfit from wedding to dinner. Very subjective to captain's availability (the captain needs to be able to handover bridge command to his crew temporarily to make it to each wedding/ROV). We only could confirm our time on the morning itself despite having it communicated on Day 1 (and it was stressful because it might collide with our dinner timing - yes that can happen too)

Hope it helps! You'll love it - but you will have to set very low expectation on logistics and coordination lol.

This was not our experience at all -- the letter we received did not offer any alternate time options and they acted as if it was fully confirmed from day one. No indication that we had to wait for final confirmation day of. I bet this part really depends on the team in place on any given ship, or just the Captain. Personally, I don't care if it's the Captain doing the ceremony, so if our upcoming renewal is handled the way yours was, I will inquire if another officer is able to do it at our assigned day/time, rather than have it up in the air. That would make me nuts. I spent a lot of time figuring out what was the best day to do the renewal, based on what activities the group wanted to do. I chose late in the cruise, so that our guests would have a chance to get to know each other beforehand. Turns out all of our friends that are joining us come from different parts of our life and none of them have met each other. That being said, I fully agree that you need to have a flexible mind set about it. I'm approaching it with plan A, plan B and plan C ideas.

We did a Renewal of Vows on the Ruby for our 25th Anniversary in 2012. It was wonderful.

It was planned for just my wife and I but we hit it off with the two couples at our traditional dining table on the first night and they asked if they could come.

ROV%20group2.jpg?dl=0

Vows.jpg?dl=0

I can't even remember what my vows were. We did a non-traditional wedding (although it was in a church with a priest) and did our own vows. I "winged it" on the spot. Whatever I said must have worked as we will be married 46 years next May 6.

I can't even remember what my vows were. We did a non-traditional wedding (although it was in a church with a priest) and did our own vows. I "winged it" on the spot. Whatever I said must have worked as we will be married 46 years next May 6.

I don't remember them either - and it was traditional. But I think there was something in there about she breaks ties and is always right. We are 41 on May 14. Congrats to you. I know the pictures are tiny, but wouldn't have guessed that many (46) by yours.

You should surprise your wife with a renewal on your next cruise (although if she's like me, she might want enough notice to plan a special outfit!). We always knew we wanted to do one -- we actually talked about it on our honeymoon. We just enjoyed our wedding and family gathering so much, and felt the day went too fast. But when we did the trial ROV last January, we were both surprised at how meaningful the ceremony actually was for us. For me it wasn't really about the words, but the sense of connection to each other and feeling so grateful to have this amazing man to share my life with. You should definitely do it!

We did a Renewal of Vows on the Ruby for our 25th Anniversary in 2012. It was wonderful.

It was planned for just my wife and I but we hit it off with the two couples at our traditional dining table on the first night and they asked if they could come.

Vows.jpg?dl=0

Found some photos from our Renewal of Vows

Vows.jpg.78c45771dcc92067ce7c25110bd481e0.jpg

1657758020_ROVgroup4.jpg.70c7a58e8cdb1fb316a4bd42c51996b5.jpg

You should surprise your wife with a renewal on your next cruise (although if she's like me, she might want enough notice to plan a special outfit!). We always knew we wanted to do one -- we actually talked about it on our honeymoon. We just enjoyed our wedding and family gathering so much, and felt the day went too fast. But when we did the trial ROV last January, we were both surprised at how meaningful the ceremony actually was for us. For me it wasn't really about the words, but the sense of connection to each other and feeling so grateful to have this amazing man to share my life with. You should definitely do it!

I read this to my wife and she said, "Don't. Please don't". Exactly what I would have guessed her reaction would be. We are quite happy with our marriage and relationship. As she also said, "I don't need a ceremony to remind me. I think we do just fine."

Folks are all different and if this is something that makes others happy and fulfilled then they should, by all means, go for it. For many others it is one of those "head scratching" things.

I read this to my wife and she said, "Don't. Please don't". Exactly what I would have guessed her reaction would be. We are quite happy with our marriage and relationship. As she also said, "I don't need a ceremony to remind me. I think we do just fine."

Folks are all different and if this is something that makes others happy and fulfilled then they should, by all means, go for it. For many others it is one of those "head scratching" things.

You definitely know your wife then, which I'm sure contributes to your successful marriage. It's one of the best things in life and I love seeing other happy couples.

However, if you are equating others choosing to do a renewal as an automatic sign of unhappiness or a need to try to fix or save a marriage, that is not necessarily the case. I'm sure for some, it is. For many others, a renewal is the exact opposite-- a way to celebrate the joy of a happy marriage with each other and/or family and friends. We don't NEED to do it, we WANT to do it. It's a celebration.

We have had a very rough few years -- have had to take in and care for both of my parents (not at the same time), both with severe dementia, my Dad also with a significant aggression issue that put me in the ER a few times with face injuries. My Dad and my Grandmother were the victims of financial elder abuse and I had to pursue lawsuits to get their houses back (won both), and during all of this stress, dealt with severe autoimmune health issues. We also lost my MIL, who suffered with dementia for a decade. I couldn't have made it thru the last 3 years without the unwaivering support of my husband. He has been my rock, and my joy. He is well aware that planning the renewal, sewing my dress, and looking forward to it, is helping me cope with the 24/7 demands of caring for my mom.

We did a Renewal of Vows for our 30th on the Diamond Princess in 2012. We spoke to the planner on board early in the cruise and organized everything. Our guests were all people we met on board. It was a wonderful, special ceremony in the wedding chapel and we used our original vows. We bought the video disk and at home my husband captured the photos we wanted and made a very special photo book with our original wedding photos and the comparative photos from the ROV. Very special and highly recommended.

You definitely know your wife then, which I'm sure contributes to your successful marriage. It's one of the best things in life and I love seeing other happy couples.

However, if you are equating others choosing to do a renewal as an automatic sign of unhappiness or a need to try to fix or save a marriage, that is not necessarily the case. I'm sure for some, it is. For many others, a renewal is the exact opposite-- a way to celebrate the joy of a happy marriage with each other and/or family and friends. We don't NEED to do it, we WANT to do it. It's a celebration.

Nope. Never even crossed my mind. Just figured some folks liked to do this and others weren't interested. I don't know that a vow renewal would really work for that purpose but, like I said, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Nope. Never even crossed my mind. Just figured some folks liked to do this and others weren't interested. I don't know that a vow renewal would really work for that purpose but, like I said, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Ahhh. Your comment about having a happy relationship (and therefore not needing to do a renewal) gave me the wrong impression.

I believe you are correct-- some like to do it and some aren't interested 🙂 And happily, it's an option to do, or not, as one pleases.

My husband and I renewed our vows for our 50th on the Ruby Princess last November and it was incredible. Our family was with us along with a few close friends. There were 24 of us so we chose the Deluxe Package. The staff went out of their way to make everything memorable. The Staff Captain's three year old son was our ring bearer and was absolutely adorable. The Captain Commodore was wonderful. One of the perks of the Deluxe was an invitation from the Captain to visit the bridge. We have cruised with Princess for many years so this was quite special. No matter which you choose, it will be lovely. The Coordinator will do whatever can be done to accommodate any special requests.

When you request your day, don't ask for the first formal night as that is usually the time for weddings. The flowers provided were beautiful and fresh. My husband says it was very tastefully done and he doesn't feel that anything else could have been done to improve the experience. We wish you Congratulations on your upcoming event.

• 2 weeks later...
Ahhh. Your comment about having a happy relationship (and therefore not needing to do a renewal) gave me the wrong impression.

I believe you are correct-- some like to do it and some aren't interested 🙂 And happily, it's an option to do, or not, as one pleases.

My husband and I have been doing it every 5 years and we are very much in love, no relationship problems here! Lol, although I DO joke with my husband that our marriage is a 5 year lease with option for renewal at the end of the term.

It started because we originally got married in our backyard, and I wanted formal pictures, so I surprised him with the first vow renewal by taking the family, the best man and Maid of honor to Vegas.

Over the years the number of people we take has been expanded and the location changes each time, Bahamas, Cabo, and so on.

At this point, it's about a dozen people that includes daughter and boyfriend, nephew and girlfriend, several friends, the maid of honor and her husband.

We even inspired maid of honor and her husband to do the same thing, and as hubby and I were their matron of honor/best man, we now go on THEIR destination vow renewals every 5 years. It's a wonderful thing. Having done all different types of vow renewals, I would love to do a cruise ship one. What a great idea.

My husband and I have been doing it every 5 years and we are very much in love, no relationship problems here! Lol, although I DO joke with my husband that our marriage is a 5 year lease with option for renewal at the end of the term.

It started because we originally got married in our backyard, and I wanted formal pictures, so I surprised him with the first vow renewal by taking the family, the best man and Maid of honor to Vegas.

Over the years the number of people we take has been expanded and the location changes each time, Bahamas, Cabo, and so on.

At this point, it's about a dozen people that includes daughter and boyfriend, nephew and girlfriend, several friends, the maid of honor and her husband.

We even inspired maid of honor and her husband to do the same thing, and as hubby and I were their matron of honor/best man, we now go on THEIR destination vow renewals every 5 years. It's a wonderful thing. Having done all different types of vow renewals, I would love to do a cruise ship one. What a great idea.

I love it!! Especially the combination of destination element with family and friends. I hope to inspire those in my life as well. Thank you for sharing your lovely tradition 🙂