Prepay gratuities and buying onboard credit

Kezzie62

If one buys OBC by phone, is the OBC ready to be used the second one steps on the ship? Or do you have to go through the process of going to Guest Services to have it activated (as if paying a cash account)?

Thank you :D

It is ready to use, no trip to guest services needed. Sometimes the OBC doesnt show up until day 2, but it is then automatically applied to any purchases made. Long story short; no trip to GS needed.

Can we just go to the Pursers and give them cash when we get on board? My daughters want to put some of their Christmas money on their account.

You can do that but I'd suggest going at an off time, GS is a mad house embarkation day.

You can do that but I'd suggest going at an off time, GS is a mad house embarkation day.

Thanks for the information LMaxwell.....and that's why I thought it would be easier just to 'order' the OBC beforehand, it eliminates the long wait at GS on embarkation day! One can't buy anything until the cash account is set up, and with so much going on....suitcases, safety drill, meeting up with friends, etc......not having to go to GS makes the first day a little less harried!!

Thanks again :D

Just want to add that when you purchase OBC in advance, it is fully refundable if you have any left over at the end of your cruise. Also, be sure to have a receipt of your purchase emailed to you, and bring a copy on board- just in case. :)

Just to clarify about cash accounts. You can charge up to $500 before actually putting down any money. They have that listed on the first page of cruise compass.

Really?? I remember the days when the mini-fridges were locked. The room steward wouldn't open mine until I set up an account at GS.

If one doesn't give a CC number during check-in...how is the ship going to collect any money for purchases if one never sets up an account? Isn't that a bit risky for the ship?

Just wondering!

Just want to add that when you purchase OBC in advance, it is fully refundable if you have any left over at the end of your cruise. Also, be sure to have a receipt of your purchase emailed to you, and bring a copy on board- just in case. :)

That certainly goes without saying. I still bring my 'Paid in Full' invoice with me...just in case they doubt that I've paid for the cruise....I think I'm becoming distrustful in my old age...LOL :p

Really?? I remember the days when the mini-fridges were locked. The room steward wouldn't open mine until I set up an account at GS.

If one doesn't give a CC number during check-in...how is the ship going to collect any money for purchases if one never sets up an account? Isn't that a bit risky for the ship?

Just wondering!

They won't let you charge more than $500, you will then be asked to go to guest services and pay it down. On disembarkation if you have any balance remaining you won't be allowed to get off until it is paid.

I was able to purchase obc for my last Oasis cruise and my upcoming Allure cruise by purchasing gift certificates from the main page on Royal Carribbean. Once you get a receipt you simply fill out the online form dictating how you want to use the gift certificate and it will be there on your account when you board.

Is there any advantage to prepaying versus being billed at the end?? Seems like an extra trip to stand on line during vacation unless I am not understanding a reason for this.

No advantage to prepaying, cost is exactly the same.

I was able to purchase obc for my last Oasis cruise and my upcoming Allure cruise by purchasing gift certificates from the main page on Royal Carribbean. Once you get a receipt you simply fill out the online form dictating how you want to use the gift certificate and it will be there on your account when you board.

Buying the Gift Certificates for OBC works, but is a 2 stage operation, buy then submit. Buying OBC direct is much easier, 1 quick phone call and you're done.

Is there any advantage to prepaying versus being billed at the end?? Seems like an extra trip to stand on line during vacation unless I am not understanding a reason for this.

The advantage to prepaying is so my entire vacation is paid in full before I ever set foot on the ship. No surprises at the end and no more money to pay. Of course, I have to monitor my spending on board to make sure I stay within the limit I set myself, but for me that's another benefit - setting myself an allowance of sorts, so that I don't get too crazy!