Cuba: Are you on the fence?

Cuba: Will you go?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Cuba: Will you go?

• We've visited already.
    • I’m interested, just haven’t committed
    • Not sure. On a Caribbean cruise I just want to relax
    • Not on my immediate list. I don’t know what to expect, beyond old cars, cigars and rum
    • There are family/political reasons for not going there
    • Something else (please elaborate).

So, the opening of Cuba to cruise lines has been a big deal, not just for visiting a country that’s been off-limits to US folk for a half a decade (not so much of a problem for Cruise Critic’s Canadian and European readers) but also for shaking up same-old-same-old Caribbean cruises.

Here’s what we’re wondering: If you haven’t yet booked a cruise that visits Cuba (whether it’s just a one-stop call at Havana or on the way to a more traditional Caribbean itinerary -- or a seriously immersive all-around Cuba or something in between), what’s holding you back?

We hope you’ll participate in this poll…and just as important is voting for your viewpoint – and of course your comments, so please feel free to share your feelings, too.

Thanks.

Carolyn

I truly want to visit Cuba, but I'm not sure a cruise is the way to do it. I also wish there was more certainty regarding what is allowed (now and in the near future) -- beyond tired of this "yes you can visit/no you can't visit" push and pull. :mad:

I don't want to wait too long -- my goal is to get there before the charm of Cuba is overtaken by Diamonds International and Margaritaville.

I truly want to visit Cuba, but I'm not sure a cruise is the way to do it. I also wish there was more certainty regarding what is allowed (now and in the near future) -- beyond tired of this "yes you can visit/no you can't visit" push and pull. :mad:

I don't want to wait too long -- my goal is to get there before the charm of Cuba is overtaken by Diamonds International and Margaritaville.

Agreed.

So, the opening of Cuba to cruise lines has been a big deal, not just for visiting a country that’s been off-limits to US folk for a half a decade (not so much of a problem for Cruise Critic’s Canadian and European readers) but also for shaking up same-old-same-old Caribbean cruises.

I think you mean half a century - half a decade is 5 years...;)

As a Canadian, I of course have had no restrictions on visiting Cuba - indeed, my aunt & uncle go nearly every year. I do find the "I want to go before mass tourism ruins the place" comments quite amusing - Cuba is pretty much on par in popularity with Mexico and the Dominican Republic for all-inclusive package holidays from my neck of the woods. Mass tourism has long since arrived - it's just that Americans haven't been able to take part.

I'm sure it's quite beautiful, and would have no problems visiting - it's just that the whole AI thing really isn't my scene, and I've been doing more land trips in Europe lately rather than cruising (although looking to cruise again next year hopefully).

I think you mean half a century - half a decade is 5 years...;)

As a Canadian, I of course have had no restrictions on visiting Cuba - indeed, my aunt & uncle go nearly every year. I do find the "I want to go before mass tourism ruins the place" comments quite amusing - Cuba is pretty much on par in popularity with Mexico and the Dominican Republic for all-inclusive package holidays from my neck of the woods. Mass tourism has long since arrived - it's just that Americans haven't been able to take part.

I'm sure it's quite beautiful, and would have no problems visiting - it's just that the whole AI thing really isn't my scene, and I've been doing more land trips in Europe lately rather than cruising (although looking to cruise again next year hopefully).

As far as cruising goes, Cuba is not high on my list of "must do" mostly because of the before/after "Walmart" ports one must usually endure to go there. Even now, we'll only do the Caribbean on a yacht charter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would like to visit. I don’t trust Trump to not cancel all visits so I won’t book anything. There also aren’t any of the lines I use visiting there.

I agree with the above.

British cruise line Marella (formerly Thomsons) have been going for years. Maybe you could try them out...

Cheers, for me it is more a case of getting to the US and organising several cruises while there. Hopefully one will call in.:D

I have 0 interest in going to Cuba. Why would I want to pay $75 for a visa to visit slums and old cars? There are too many other 'beautiful" islands in the Caribbean where you don't even need a passport to visit by cruise ship!

I would like to go to Cuba but with all of the uncertainties about what will be allowed, I am not going to book something. The cruises I have looked at so far don't go anyplace

else I really want to go and I don't want to pay a premium for a Cuban itinerary and then not go.

We a have been to Cuba two times. As other Canadian posters have said it is a popular destination for Canadians. I would definitely go back, the beaches and snorkeling are great, the people very nice, and it has the least expensive AI's for travelers from Eastern Canada. That being said a 5 star resort in Cuba is a 4 or 3.5 star in many other Caribbean islands. I have not been to Havana yet so a cruise that stopped there and one or two other spots would be a nice addition to the regular Caribbean itineraries.

If a cruise ship goes there, I would like to visit.

We returned mid-December from a 46 nights Cuba & Caribbean Cruise that included an overnight in Havana. The Old City was fantastic, very safe and very hospitable.

We had the added bonus of accompanying a German passenger with autistic tendencies (powerful combination!) on a birthday celebration on the first day in Havana. He couldn't grasp the concept of a 'Pub Crawl' so we went with his interpretation - 1 beer at 1 bar in 1 hour and then back to the ship to watch the movie under the stars. It actually turned into quite a fun night trying to curb the 'get another round in' and adhering to Werner's timetable :evilsmile:.

We're off again on 17th January (too cold in Scotland), but I doubt that the new cruise will be able to match the delights of Cuba, the underpinning mind-numbing bureaucracy, and the bonus of our German friend! But we'll try :)

I have 0 interest in going to Cuba. Why would I want to pay $75 for a visa to visit slums and old cars? There are too many other 'beautiful" islands in the Caribbean where you don't even need a passport to visit by cruise ship!

We were charged £11 ($15) for the visa by our ship on our cruise in mid-November 2017. We had a great time.

We definitely want to go but would prefer a much more immersive trip than a cruise offers. My Spanish is decent for the basics so I am very much looking forward to Cuba. My boss went with our governor for an economic summit in early 2016 and raved about Cuba, which, from his photos, is definitely not all slums.

I was born and raised in the Tampa, Florida area and grew up with many Cuban people. They were hardworking, friendly, unpretentious, smart, and optimistic despite having lived under a political system they did not choose.

Also, Cuban food is among the best I have eaten!

Edited by Bookish Angel

We definitely want to go but would prefer a much more immersive trip than a cruise offers.

I was born and raised in the Tampa, Florida area and grew up with many Cuban people. They were hardworking, friendly, unpretentious, smart, and optimistic despite having lived under a political system they did not choose. Also, Cuban food is among the best I have eaten!

Havana is like an old European city and absolutely nothing at all like other Caribbean ports. If you have not been perhaps you shouldn't be so fast to label it as slums comparable to other islands.

We has seriously looked at a Cuba cruise in July this year. Since we would have to drive to one of the Florida ports the total hit on my vacation time is a factor. There is a RC trip that stays 2 nights in Havana that was first on the list but ultimately a family trip later in the year took precedence. I will admit that it disturbs me that the Cuban government is so oppressive to such a kind people and likely takes most of the money spent by tourists to fund said oppressive government. I sincerely hope the money spent there finds its way into the hands of the people that need it.

If you've not been, you're relying on second-hand information - much of it politically -motivated.

If the folk live in slums, someone ought to tell them because I've not come across a happier or more-vibrant people.:)

It's a very different Caribbean island, and I'd describe Havana as "decayed Spanish decadence".

The US embargo is a big part of part of the reason for the decay, but gradually the magnificent colonial buildings are being restored.

Vestiges of communism too, which might not be wonderful but is certainly different.

But if you can't be bothered to get a passport you're not going to see much of the world, and you're going to keep that one-dimensional viewpoint.

Sadly the Donald has turned the clock back, so it's difficult for US citizens to confidently plan a visit.

But the best time to visit is soonest, before there's a MacD's or KFCs or BurgerKings or Starbucks on every street-corner, and before it becomes one of the "Walmart" islands that another poster has referred to.

Just MHO as always.

JB :)

We did a two week land visit.After seeing the local conditions. Have no interest in going back.

You know that’s not fare to the Cuban people no matter if their political views are different than ours . My wife and I went to Cuba on a Viking cruise and everything was wonderful. They don’t tie up in Havana but in Cienfuegos and tendered in. Tendering in was no problem and we had peace and quite once we returned to the ship. The only issue is the Cuban roads - a bit uneven and the buses swayed a bit . We had lunch and a ride in a vintage Ford Convertible. Just what I wanted ! . We then went to Earnest Hemingway’s home and that was really something you shouldn’t miss . I’m glad we didn’t do the overnight in Havana . We got the flavor of Havana without repacking . Please go- it’s like stepping back 40 years. 3464244ecb415255690eb081428a580c.jpg450d410eaeff4903b734821c52cc84d9.jpg1fd1a68c2c1a7acc6d560af12f9c844d.jpg98c6304ef2ff77271369153b26a38c31.jpg

Edited by Eaches