Just Curious About Disney's Pricing

PoohUnderstands

Just been reading how booking a cruise on DCL is much different than the "regular" cruise lines. Now I am curious to see if anyone knows the answer to my question. I can't do anything about it, but just wondering. That the best prices comes booking as early as possible. Now this is my question. Booking for our May, 2019, cruise opened for me on 11/2/2107 and I booked 2 months later on 1/6. And there were, I wouldn't say many, but quite a few of my cabin selections available on every deck. So how much do you think has the price of the rooms gone up since 11/2? Just trying to get a feel for how DCL does things for future reference. Thanks for any input.

Pooh

In our experience the prices go up much faster for weeks where kids are not in school. For off peak weeks the prices seem to go up slowly in the first few months after release. If you don't get the price you want booking early sometimes they will have lower prices for guarantee categories that typically come up less than 3 months before the sailing but these come with significant restrictions. Unfortunately there is no such thing as an "inexpensive" Disney cruise. For us they still offer value for what they deliver. Sailing off peak seasons does make a major difference in price, typically over $2000 for the 4 of us.

Well, I guess I am glad that I am the type that books early. Not a guarantee type of person especially with the many restrictions that DCL has for that category. So I am hoping that since it is not a week where the children are off of school, that I got about the best price I could. I did get to take advantage of the 50% off deposit they were running. I also picked this particular cruise as its pricing was the lowest for the timeframe I was interested in. So I guess I did all I could to minimize the costs!

Pooh

Unless you can find a thread or a site that listed prices on the cruise on day 1, there is no way to retrieve that info. I have seen cruises where prices were going up very rapidly--I once had a DCL Panama crossing increase in price by $800 between the time I saw it on line and the time I got an agent on the phone on day 1. I've also seen cruises (off season) where the price 3 days before embarkation was the same as the price on day 1. Neither of those is the norm. The bottom line is that you have locked in the best price you could. Look at the cruise again in 6 months and be happy to see that people booking then are paying more than you did!

The other way to look at prices is that you got something that you were willing to pay...so let it go at that. If I thought about filling up my car last week but today when I needed gas it was a higher price, there's nothing I can do about it. I pay today's price because I didn't fill last week or book 2 months ago.

On the cruise, IF the price decreases prior to the penalty date (which is an extremely rare event on DCL but has happened), you can rebook at the lower price. If not, you booked at a price that you considered acceptable and will have a great vacation.

Just been reading how booking a cruise on DCL is much different than the "regular" cruise lines. Now I am curious to see if anyone knows the answer to my question. I can't do anything about it, but just wondering. That the best prices comes booking as early as possible. Now this is my question. Booking for our May, 2019, cruise opened for me on 11/2/2107 and I booked 2 months later on 1/6. And there were, I wouldn't say many, but quite a few of my cabin selections available on every deck. So how much do you think has the price of the rooms gone up since 11/2? Just trying to get a feel for how DCL does things for future reference. Thanks for any input.

Pooh

There is a website you can find that info, but I can't mention it here, sorry. Click on the "finder" tab and then scroll down and find your cruise on the left side of the page.

When you find your cruise, click on the date. The next page will show the current prices by category. Hover over the price that you're interested in. A window will open showing the prices for that category by date since opening day.

There is a website you can find that info, but I can't mention it here, sorry. Click on the "finder" tab and then scroll down and find your cruise on the left side of the page.

When you find your cruise, click on the date. The next page will show the current prices by category. Hover over the price that you're interested in. A window will open showing the prices for that category by date since opening day.

"Finder" tab? What is that. I guess I am dense! Grin.

Pooh

"Finder" tab? What is that. I guess I am dense! Grin.

Pooh

Well, it's on the other website that I can't mention here. I wrote out all the info about how to find what you're looking for there before I found out that I can't link that site here.

Sorry.

Maybe do a google search for "past cruise prices" you might get a hit for that site.

There s another web site that collects such information. You can sometimes find your exact date and category, sometimes not. One of the CC rules is that we are not permitted to name other sites operated by travel agents.

My suggestion...let it go. It won't do you any good anyhow.

Since you are a frequent cruiser on other lines...our experience was that we found a lot more "alike" than "different" among those lines we've cruised. There are a few quirks and special things on DCL, and the entertainment is excellent...but most things are very similar.

Edited by moki'smommy

Unless you can find a thread or a site that listed prices on the cruise on day 1' date=' there is no way to retrieve that info. I have seen cruises where prices were going up very rapidly--I once had a DCL Panama crossing increase in price by $800 between the time I saw it on line and the time I got an agent on the phone on day 1. I've also seen cruises (off season) where the price 3 days before embarkation was the same as the price on day 1. Neither of those is the norm. The bottom line is that you have locked in the best price you could. Look at the cruise again in 6 months and be happy to see that people booking then are paying more than you did![/quote']

There's a Disney specific board that has a DCL topic and always has a thread on opening day prices. It's quite useful for comparisons.

Thanks, guys! Found one or the site that works really well with the information I was wondering about. Yes, Moki's Mommy, I know I need to cool it! But money isn't the issue, information is. I am just funny that way. Just am wired that way! Grin.

P.S. Prices were the same as when sailing first became available. ;p

Pooh

Thanks, guys! Found one or the site that works really well with the information I was wondering about. Yes, Moki's Mommy, I know I need to cool it! But money isn't the issue, information is. I am just funny that way. Just am wired that way! Grin.

P.S. Prices were the same as when sailing first became available. ;p

Pooh

I know, I'm rather like that as well...no offense was intended. And good news for you--you got the best deal possible. One thing--you can purchase a placeholder while on board which is good for 2 years and gives you 10% off the cruise fare portion of the ticket. If not used within the two years, it is fully refundable. There are some black out dates, but overall it is a good value if you ever plan to cruise DCL again.

• 3 weeks later...
I know' date=' I'm rather like that as well...no offense was intended. And good news for you--you got the best deal possible. One thing--you can purchase a placeholder while on board which is good for 2 years and gives you 10% off the cruise fare portion of the ticket. If not used within the two years, it is fully refundable. There are some black out dates, but overall it is a good value if you ever plan to cruise DCL again.[/quote']

That sounds like a nice discount. Does it work for the pricey two-bedroom Concierge accommodations, on Magic?

Recently we were offered the reduced deposits. For us, long range planning helps with better prices overall. As others have indicated, sometimes a lower price is offered months before.... based on sales — but no guarantee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Concierge rooms do not receive Onboard Booking perks. Although, I think they still get the OBC, buy no reduced deposit or 10% cruise fare.

By 10% cruise fare, do you mean if I book onboard, for a future cruise in a concierge cabin, I don't get 10% off?

By 10% cruise fare, do you mean if I book onboard, for a future cruise in a concierge cabin, I don't get 10% off?

Yes. The actual wording on the Onboard Booking information sheet is:

Offer valid for categories 4-11 only. Offer not valid for Concierge-level categories; IGT, OGT and VGT categories with restrictions; and 2 night cruises.