Windsor to Stansted Airport

This will not be easy with luggage and public transport. Into London by train, tube across London and then train again!

National Express coaches go direct from Heathrow to Stansted, but that will involve you getting to Heathrow first.

Private car/van hire could be worth considering, but for all of these options you need to make a comparison with the more expensive but direct flights from Heathrow - such as Are Lingus and British Airways.

As others have stated, Ryanair, along with other budget airlines add-ons will add to the cost big time.

I am sure other people will have ideas for you too.

Where are you flying to? Does it have to be Ryanair?

Flying to Cork. It does not have to be Ryan Air, but it is the least expensive. There are 7 of us so the price difference adds up. I found a flight on Ryan Air between STN and CORK for $56 for the PLUS fare, which includes the bags, seat selection and priority boarding. Aer Lingus is twice that price for the basic ticket, meaning no checkin or seat selection.

Flying to Cork. It does not have to be Ryan Air, but it is the least expensive. There are 7 of us so the price difference adds up. I found a flight on Ryan Air between STN and CORK for $56 for the PLUS fare, which includes the bags, seat selection and priority boarding. Aer Lingus is twice that price for the basic ticket, meaning no checkin or seat selection.
Have to say that the price is pretty good. Make sure you allow plenty of time at Stansted if you have an early morning flight - the place can be a zoo at peak times.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

If you are starting in Windsor, then flying Ryanair from Stansted to Cork is IMHO close to madness. In Windsor, you can almost reach up and touch the aircraft that are taking off from Heathrow for Cork.

The

which I've long had in my signature is pretty specific about the perils (even if exaggerated) of being seduced by Ryanair's cheaper fares from Stansted. My favourite verse, which I sometimes recite at dinner parties, is the one that starts "Now I don't know if you tried locating Stansted on a map". I'd probably get banned from CC if I copied the rest of it here verbatim.

Ryanair, including from Stansted, has its uses. But it depends on the circumstances of every trip, and in your circumstances I would take a lot of convincing that it is the best solution for you. It's fatally easy to be penny wise and pound foolish.

If you are starting in Windsor, then flying Ryanair from Stansted to Cork is IMHO close to madness. In Windsor, you can almost reach up and touch the aircraft that are taking off from Heathrow for Cork.

The

which I've long had in my signature is pretty specific about the perils (even if exaggerated) of being seduced by Ryanair's cheaper fares from Stansted. My favourite verse, which I sometimes recite at dinner parties, is the one that starts "Now I don't know if you tried locating Stansted on a map". I'd probably get banned from CC if I copied the rest of it here verbatim.

Ryanair, including from Stansted, has its uses. But it depends on the circumstances of every trip, and in your circumstances I would take a lot of convincing that it is the best solution for you. It's fatally easy to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Totally agree with these sentiments. Depending on the exact date of travel, I can see lunchtime flights to Cork from Heathrow with Aer Lingus for £79. OK, there will be extras to pay, but given the hassle of getting to Stansted, plus the 'joys' of flying Ryanair, I would happily pay the extra for the Heathrow option.

Totally agree with these sentiments. Depending on the exact date of travel, I can see lunchtime flights to Cork from Heathrow with Aer Lingus for £79. OK, there will be extras to pay, but given the hassle of getting to Stansted, plus the 'joys' of flying Ryanair, I would happily pay the extra for the Heathrow option.
With a bit more time, I've also had a look at the practicalities of schedules in case there was something that I had missed. I saw a mention of June (but nothing more specific), so I have had a look at schedules for a week in the middle of June.

If staying in Windsor, it would be reasonably feasible to leave your hotel in time to get the 0930 flight from Heathrow. If you were in the car at 0700, you would very probably be at Heathrow Terminal 2 by 0800 and very possibly significantly earlier than that. T2 generally runs well, so that would be enough time to check-in and get through security to the gate in time for the flight. An 0630 departure from the hotel would give plenty of margin.

If that is too early, then there is a 1200 flight three days a week, and a 1350 flight every day. With a leisurely morning departure from Windsor, you would arrive at ORK at either 1325 or 1510.

However, getting from Windsor to Stansted takes significantly longer. There is no reasonable way that you could leave Windsor in the morning and hope to check-in for the 0815 flight there. (Remember that verse in the song?) The next flight from Stansted is at 1650, arriving at ORK at 1815. So you've lost another 3 hours, or possibly 5 hours, out of your time in Cork compared to taking a lunchtime flight from Heathrow, balanced by only a little extra time in Windsor that morning.

Or, to put it another way, because of flight schedules, getting from Windsor to Cork via Stansted will basically take almost all of the day. Depending on exactly how you play it, getting from Windsor to Cork via Heathrow could allow you almost a whole extra useful day in Cork.

Is saving £50 per person worth wasting the bulk of a day for? That's a question which only you can answer.

Excellent post from Globaliser. To be honest, to avoid STN and Ryanair, it would be worth paying an extra £100, never mind £50 !

And this is why I come to CC for advice. When I considered STN I did not realize how much of an inconvenience it will be.

We currently have flights booked from LHR to Dublin. However, we have the option to cancel those tickets. Originally we had plans to visit Dublin, but as time goes by, our group now does not want to visit Dublin. So I thought let's cancel those tickets and purchase new ones going to Cork, since it seems SW Ireland is where to go for the beautiful sceneries.

I will just keep watch and see if fares drop between LHR and Cork or Shannon.

Thanks everyone!

And this is why I come to CC for advice. When I considered STN I did not realize how much of an inconvenience it will be.

We currently have flights booked from LHR to Dublin. However, we have the option to cancel those tickets. Originally we had plans to visit Dublin, but as time goes by, our group now does not want to visit Dublin. So I thought let's cancel those tickets and purchase new ones going to Cork, since it seems SW Ireland is where to go for the beautiful sceneries.

I will just keep watch and see if fares drop between LHR and Cork or Shannon.

Thanks everyone!

I wouldn't discount flying to Dublin and travelling from there. Dublin is an excellent city to visit, and if you travel south, along the coast, the scenery in Wicklow is lovely.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any significant price fall on the flights from LHR - the flights to Ireland are busy year round, even more so in the summer months, and there is no need for BA/Aer Lingus to discount the fares. Much of the basic fare cost is made up of government taxes, airport charges etc, so any price reduction will come off the bottom line of IAG's profit, which is not the style of the current management team.

Just one other point, which has nothing to do with flights. The scenery in the SW of Ireland, and even more so in the far west, is indeed fantastic (if you can see it through the rain!). But the roads are narrow, and it will take a lot longer German to get anywhere than you think. Do not try and do too much .

I wouldn't discount flying to Dublin and travelling from there. Dublin is an excellent city to visit, and if you travel south, along the coast, the scenery in Wicklow is lovely.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any significant price fall on the flights from LHR - the flights to Ireland are busy year round, even more so in the summer months, and there is no need for BA/Aer Lingus to discount the fares. Much of the basic fare cost is made up of government taxes, airport charges etc, so any price reduction will come off the bottom line of IAG's profit, which is not the style of the current management team.

Just one other point, which has nothing to do with flights. The scenery in the SW of Ireland, and even more so in the far west, is indeed fantastic (if you can see it through the rain!). But the roads are narrow, and it will take a lot longer German to get anywhere than you think. Do not try and do too much .

Sorry - no idea where 'German' came from!!