Freeport

sflanigan1110

I apologize upfront if this is a duplicate thread but I searched and couldn't find any recent posts.

One of our stops on our next cruise is Freeport and I'm just wondering if there is anything to do or see with a family if we are not going to do an excursion? We've been to Nassau and like the little shops, but that's about it.

Thanks in advance.

The first time we took a van taxi with others to

Port Lucaya. Good conch fritters, pretty good shopping. We walked across the street to the Our Lucaya resort and beach. Next time we took a taxi to Taino Beach. There was a nice restaurant there with pretty good prices on food and drink. The beach was okay.

The "cruise port" consists of a Senor Frogs, a Fat Tuesday, a few shops and vendors selling stuff. We walk around for about 45 minutes and get back on board to enjoy uncrowded pools, hot tubs, etc. As posted by others above, Freeport is primarily an industrial port with container ships and tankers coming and going all day.

• Thanks 1

It is true that the port itself is industrial and the view from the ship is nothing to brag about, but they have done a lot with the port area in recent years and if you just want to do a little shopping and get a drink and be mildly entertained, you can do it. We usually go to Lucaya or do an excursion (recommend Pat and Diane snorkeling), but one time we had a short day there and just hung around the port. We shopped a little (same things as in Nassau), my friend and I ended up dancing on the bar in Fat Tuesday’s (we were not drunk but the guy just insisted...not sure why he wanted a 40+and 60+ woman up there but it was a lot of fun and is now a story we can tell), watched a guy do a conch demonstration at a conch shack and then ate the conch salad he made from it, got a drink in a coconut from a drink stand and sat and listened to the steel drum band that plays in the center of the area. It was tons of fun. If you go into it with the right attitude, you never know just what might happen.

It is true that the port itself is industrial and the view from the ship is nothing to brag about, but they have done a lot with the port area in recent years and if you just want to do a little shopping and get a drink and be mildly entertained, you can do it. We usually go to Lucaya or do an excursion (recommend Pat and Diane snorkeling), but one time we had a short day there and just hung around the port. We shopped a little (same things as in Nassau), my friend and I ended up dancing on the bar in Fat Tuesday’s (we were not drunk but the guy just insisted...not sure why he wanted a 40+and 60+ woman up there but it was a lot of fun and is now a story we can tell), watched a guy do a conch demonstration at a conch shack and then ate the conch salad he made from it, got a drink in a coconut from a drink stand and sat and listened to the steel drum band that plays in the center of the area. It was tons of fun. If you go into it with the right attitude, you never know just what might happen.

This is good to know! Last and only time I was in Freeport was in 2007, and it was not a very interesting port area right by the ship - we had to take a 20 min taxi/bus ride to the "shops" area. We might be booking a four-day Bahamas in August, and Freeport is usually one of the stops, IIRC.

There's precious little to do in Freeport. At Thanksgiving, we went to an all-inclusive Wyndham resort about 30 minutes from the port. The beach was beautiful, and alcohol and lunch was included. Plus, there were very few people around (might have been the time of year). We booked it through a website called Resort For A Day dot com. Some of their resorts include transportation to and from the site, and others do not.

If you want to make a memory....go to Gold Rock Beach

Very un touristy! Look it up on YouTube

There is wild life and a cave before the beach, and a good place to have lunch a few minutes away, hire a driver and enjoy getting away from the crowds!

If you want to stay on the ship, great. But most cruises to the Bahamas include sea days. I think Paradise Cove is great. Very good snorkeling, a very uncrowded beach day, kayaks and paddle boards available to rent. Drinks, food and changing facilities right there. $10 transportation there(each way). Book online at deadmansreef.com or just take a taxi. It really aggravates me when people denigrate Freeport when they have never been out of the port area. I go to Paradise Cove every time I'm in Freeport and have yet to be disappointed.

• Thanks 1

There is quite a lot to see and do on Grand Bahama Island, but you need to explore outside of the port area itself (we have rented a car and drove around at our leisure).

Grand Bahama Island has a number of national parks. Lucayan National Park is very interesting, as there is one of the largest underwater cave systems in the world. Also there is Gold Rock Beach, which is very pristine and void of the touristy crowds.

https://www.bahamas.com/vendor/lucayan-national-park

http://www.grandbahamavacations.com/things-to-do/