Day Trip to Windsor, Stonehedge and Bath

TeanneTX

Will be in London in April and looking at spending the day going to Windsor, Stonehedge and Bath. There are so many tour companies out there which are all pretty close in price. Anyone have any recent experience doing a tour of these 3 sites and which company did you use. I did do a search of the forum using the search tool but most of the posts were pretty old and I'd like more recent information. Thanks.

Teanne

Hey, what's with turning our henge into a hedge? :D

(common mistake :))

There are indeed a number of coach tour operators offering this tour from central London.

You'll probably get more info and more response on TripAdvisor but most, like Evan-Evans and Golden Tours, are established & reputable.

Do check the pick-up points in relation to your hotel, that can be a deciding factor.

IMHO this itinerary packs in too much and you'll be spending 5.5 hours in the coach - much of it on crowded & boring divided highway. But it's popular, and if you're keen to fit all into one day it does the job.

BTW, if you read the website for Stonehenge you'll see references to the need to pre-purchase timed tickets. If you buy the admission tickets with your tour tickets (or they're included in the tour price) you don't need to worry about timed tickets - the tickets issued by coach tours are anytime tickets.

JB :)

Hey, what's with turning our henge into a hedge? :D

(common mistake :))

There are indeed a number of coach tour operators offering this tour from central London.

You'll probably get more info and more response on TripAdvisor but most, like Evan-Evans and Golden Tours, are established & reputable.

Do check the pick-up points in relation to your hotel, that can be a deciding factor.

IMHO this itinerary packs in too much and you'll be spending 5.5 hours in the coach - much of it on crowded & boring divided highway. But it's popular, and if you're keen to fit all into one day it does the job.

BTW, if you read the website for Stonehenge you'll see references to the need to pre-purchase timed tickets. If you buy the admission tickets with your tour tickets (or they're included in the tour price) you don't need to worry about timed tickets - the tickets issued by coach tours are anytime tickets.

Oops-thanks JB. I really didn't know it was "henge". I really don't want to spend 5.5 hrs in a boring bus. May need to rethink this. I was also thinking about just taking a train down there myself. Will have to research this and decide if we want to do it DIY or with a tour. Thanks again.

Teanne

Oops-thanks JB. I really didn't know it was "henge". I really don't want to spend 5.5 hrs in a boring bus. May need to rethink this. I was also thinking about just taking a train down there myself. Will have to research this and decide if we want to do it DIY or with a tour. Thanks again.

Teanne

Stonehenge DIY from London is pretty easy.:)

Take the train to Salisbury.

Catch the Stonehenge ho-ho bus at the station.

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

Buy your Stonehenge admission tickets from the driver (same dispensation as the London tour buses from the timed-ticket restriction ), ho-ho bus back to Salisbury city centre (you might want to stop off at Old Sarum, but it's quite exposed so no fun in wet & windy weather), then check out the historic city centre including Salisbury's magnificent cathedral. Back to Salisbury station using the ho-ho or local bus or taxi or shanks's (15 minute walk) for the train back to London.