Back to Back Cruise in the Caribbean?

LouisV

Hi there!

I am looking for some feedback or opinions on a 7 day back to back cruise = 14 days on the Westerdam doing the Eastern/Western Caribbean departing from Fort Lauderdale in November 2008. Has anyone out there done this cruise before? What's the ship like? I would like to take my Mom on her first cruise ever. She will be 71 next year. I am looking at a verandah cabin, category VD, VE or VF. Which is best? One other question...has anyone used ***** to book a cruise? Can't wait to hear from someone!

Pmatch

pmatch - We did B2B on Westerdam last year - Western & Eastern Caribbean. We are in the 60's and 70's, though we had many younger passengers aboard. It was a Halloween cruise and FUN was had by all.

I think your Mom will LOVE the ship and the itinerary. We certainly did!

We have our own TA, so have not used other services, with the exception of having booked direct with HAL.

We also book SA, so cannot answer for you. There is an excellent visual tour on the HAL site. You can also view deck plans. Personal choice dictates cabin selection.

Good Luck and have a fabulous cruise!

I am doing the Eastern Caribbean on the Westerdam this fall (oh how I wish I could be on the ship two weeks LOL) and I'll submit a review to this board when I return.

While I use my own TA, I check prices at some of the online TAs, including VTG, to get an idea of what to ask her to try and match. This gives me the benefit of a low price with the confidence of a person who I know will watch out for me.

Have a great cruise.

We have done back-to-back Eastern/Western itineraries on Westerdam's sister ship, Zuiderdam, several times. We have done that same b-to-b on Maasdam, Statendam, Zaandam, Rotterdam etc Can't even remember all of them. We love that combination and have had fabulous time staying aboard for both segments.

Can't recommend it highly enough. We would do it again in the blink of an eye.

Sorry.... we have never used Vacations to Go.

We have been on the Westerdam. She is a lovely ship.

If your mom has never been on a cruise before, I suggest you get a stateroom which is midships. This will be the most stable area, just in case she gets seasick.

Also, for a first time cruiser, I would suggest that you get her Sea-Bands which you can get in the drug store. You might also get some Bonine which she could start taking the night before the cruise.

As for TAs - I have never used *****. They have a lovely newsletter. My advice is to call several agencies to get the best price. Stick to the ones that advertise on Cruise Critic and you should be okay.

If you would like further advice, you can email me at Charlies71momathotmaildotcom. Of course, use the proper symbols instead of the words written out.

Have a great time. This is a beautiful ship with a great crew.

Roberta

You'll enjoy the Westerdam, she is a fine ship. Back to backs are fun, especially when you are half way through and everyone is packing on the last night except you. An Eastern and Western itinery is a great combination and you will enjoy it.

The rule of thumb is - the longer the cruise - the older the passengers are. Seven day cruises have a mix of young and old.

What's the ship like?
We loved it when we were on it, and it should be nicer since the re-fit in April. You can see a lot of pre-refit pictures HERE.
I am looking at a verandah cabin, category VD, VE or VF. Which is best?
The VDs have a verandah that about 7.5 ft deep compared to the deck 5 VE and VF at 4.5 ft. I suggest you don't go with any cabins from 4001 to 4042 because the steel-wall railings prevent you from seeing anything but sky while seated. Inside, the cabins are all the same.
One other question...has anyone used ***** to book a cruise?
We're not allowed to discuss TA's here (see REMINDER) ... but since many seem to be ignoring that rule today: we used VTG about 5 years ago and everything was fine.

Wow! Thanks for all the tidbits of info fellow cruisers! You guys are great!

jt1513 - thanks for the verandah cabin comparison! It's those things that I need to hear before we book.

One other item - I was told that early November in the Caribbean is monsoon season. Is this true? We were on a cruise in the Caribbean once in late December and the weather was great.

Any comments on the weather conditions at that time?

One other item - I was told that early November in the Caribbean is monsoon season. Is this true? We were on a cruise in the Caribbean once in late December and the weather was great.

Any comments on the weather conditions at that time?

Monsoon season? I've never heard it called that. You might catch a late-season hurricane then. We were on a mid-Dec western Carribean cruise where each port we hit had had heavy rain the day (or days) before we got there, so the ground was very soggy, but our day was fine! "Do you feel lucky, punk?" :)

BTW...how do I make my thread title appear in bold font?
As far as I know, it's not something you can control. More recent threads are usually in bold, but it seems not always. :confused:

Just a post-script on the verandah depths: with a few exceptions, nearly all side VA/VB/VC cabins have a verandah about 6 ft deep.

pmatch,

We did a b2b on Westerdam this spring (Southern/Easterm). I posted a lengthy review at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=26653

Basically, we loved it and I think your Mom will do fine on W'dam. We had a VE cabin, whose balcony is narrower (aout 4.5 feet deep), and most VE's overlook the boats, so you might consider a VD if that is an issue; we didn't find it all that much of a big deal.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the link to your review! Now those are the types of reviews that pretty much answer all questions. I wll be booking the Nov 9/08 cruise and am looking at a cabin in the category VA - VC. Decisions...decisions! I don't know whether to use a TA or book directly from Holland America. When you book a b2b do you request to have the same cabin on both legs of the cruise? Do you have that option? Do you book a guaranteed cabin or book a specific cabin?

Maureen

Archived