Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

I am very disappointed in NCL for this. It is not acceptable to sell a full price cruise and deliver an inferior product. Dangerous and distressing for passengers.

I am so sympathetic to how frustrating it must have been for them - trapped for 15 days unable to pack their belongings and leave as one most absolutely would have done at a land based resort. NO ONE in their right mind would stay and put up with this, yet NCL took advantage of the fact that their passengers were unable to do anything about their discomfort.

The behaviour of the ships Captain is disgraceful and needs to be reviewed. He had a responsibility to discuss the situation with the passengers in his care and he clearly ( in the video we were able to see) was a unable to deal with an uncomfortable situation. This concerns me very very much. I would expect a Captain to be able to deal calmly and competently in this situation.

NCL needs to make amends to the passengers of this ship and issue an apology for both the state of the ship, the inferior product and the behaviour of the Captain in a difficult situation needs to be addressed.

Sending a message to the credit card company does nothing. The CEO and others at the top would never hear about this and that is who the message should be sent to. A well written letter, without drama, to the CEO will do a whole lot more than disputing your credit card charge.

Problem is the CEO is the problem here and is the person who ordered the whole project. I suspect the captain didn't agree but was giving marching orders do it or else. I posted elsewhere complaining to the CEO is like a farmer complaining to the Fox that just ate all the chickens. I think the news getting some traction will help more, there was a good segment on CTV Vancouver news last night on the 5 oclock. If that story spreads the press will pressure NCL Board to deal with the CEO.

Problem is the CEO is the problem here and is the person who ordered the whole project. I suspect the captain didn't agree but was giving marching orders do it or else. I posted elsewhere complaining to the CEO is like a farmer complaining to the Fox that just ate all the chickens. I think the news getting some traction will help more, there was a good segment on CTV Vancouver news last night on the 5 oclock. If that story spreads the press will pressure NCL Board to deal with the CEO.
Well, the CEO is the only one who makes the decisions, complaining to others is like pushing a rock up a hill and waiting for it to fall down, so you can push it up again.

There was a ton of national news stories about the Breakaway and it did nothing, as the compensation offered originally still stands. So call me a skeptical.

Regarding the offer for the Sun- if someone offered me a 25% discount to knowingly take this cruise I’d think they were out of their mind even attempting to market as a vacation.

The Sun Planned construction was hopefully a terrible mistake. The 25% offer makes you wonder though. Ncl valuing the Sun sailing at 75% of fare scares me.

The ability to sell out a bucket list cruise that unbeknownst to passengers was actually a pre planned construction zone and still get 75% of the revenue AND get the Panama Canal high port fees paid for by passengers is genius if in fact everyone just forgets about it and moves on.

IMO Ncl had a really bad reputation for taking care of passengers when things went wrong. This bad rep predates the current regime. Under current regime they really stepped up and had changed their reputation for the better with regard to taking care of passengers when something went wrong. I’m hopeful this Sun revenue sailing is simply an isolated internal mistake.

Our 35 day cruise booked on The Jewel in September may well be our last with NCL. After 7 cruises we hope not. She is going into dry dock when we disembark in Singapore. We hope NCL are listening to the people and we don't have these same issues. We had enough stress last year with the azipod issues on The Star!!

Those videos are disgusting. Its not small isolated construction zones but large areas of the ship. That noise for 2 weeks plus the areas that were closed. Lets stick to the facts. NCL started the dry dock early and did not care a rat's ass about their customers. The future discount is one big middle finger to the passengers.

NCL to passengers: Screw you complainers. No pool? Get a life. Loud construction noise? Cry babies. Construction dust and fumes? Oh please. Parts of the ship closed? Big deal. Just give us your money. We don't care about the quality of your cruise. ***

How can any corporate officer look at these videos and justify in anyway what they put their customers through ON PURPOSE. For greed. To get dry dock done faster.

We were booked on this RCI Mariner cruise, but cancelled after the TA was cancelled by RCI. Kind of glad now, in case refurbishment is begun before reaching Barcelona. Instead, we booked the April 19 NCL SUN Panama Canal cruise and now wonder if we will experience construction not completed during dry dock. Seems we are not making good cruise choices for this spring.

Our last cruise was NCL Star Hong Kong to Sydney Jan/Feb 2017. The ship had only one working azipod and 1/2 the ports were cancelled during sailing. The passengers were beyond upset and NCL corporate sent 2 employees from their Australia office to talk with passengers after it was evident the captain was ill prepared to handle the situation. Even the corporate reps were not trained to handle the situation. There were at least 3 offers of compensation from NCL, but passengers were not satisfied and in the end, we were given cruise credit for what we paid to be used within 5 yrs. Nothing was offered for travel expenses to fly to Hong Kong to board a ship which was not in good working order. They kept telling us the ship was safe, but dh & I had been on the Star a year or so before when it had outrun a hurricane. With the azipod issues it could not have done that, so it really was not safe. The second azipod quit working a few days after the ship left Sydney and was dead in the water and had to be towed to a port. Even though I am again sailing NCL, I do believe NCL is only concerned about making a buck and not at all concerned about passenger safety.

Why then do you continue to book with NCL?

Why then do you continue to book with NCL?

Good question! Stupidity, I guess...we said never again when we got off, but time passes and we thought we would give them another try (we are platinum plus) as we have always liked them, until the last cruise. We hope for the best.

CBC coverage with NCL response.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/norwegian-cruise-passengers-angry-1.4603237

Norwegian Cruise Line declined to do an interview with CBC News, insisting instead on responding to a list of written questions. However, in its reply Norwegian did not answer any of the questions posed, instead issuing a statement.

"At Norwegian Cruise Line, we continuously aim to offer the best vacation experience for all our guests," the statement said. The company acknowledged "enhancements" were happening during the cruise and that some guests "experienced some inconvenience."

The statement concluded that guests have been offered a 25 per cent discount on their next booking with Norwegian Cruise Lines. But that offer is only valid for one year.

I had a problem on a Princess Cruise with noise and vibration so that I was shaken our of bed every night even when we were docked in Port. No help from crew so I took a video of the shaking bed and after several times contacting their head office after the cruise, I did receive from them a refund amounting to the price of accommodation. Spoiled my holiday as I was so tired but at least I did not have to pay for it. The point I am trying to make is take photos/video and don't give up the fight! Hope you've had better cruises since then (I have), it would be a shame that one problem would stop you enjoying cruisin..

In 2015 on the Sun going through the Panama Canal they started replacing the carpet in the hall of our cabin on day two. The workers right outside our door were wearing masks yet we who lived there were issued none. We certainly did spend most of the day on Deck somewhere else, but we had to shave shower and sleep there. My wife and I both developed terrible coughs, were given antibiotics by the medical staff and my wife required additional breath treatments. When the subject was brought up at the captain question and answer period we were told to discuss it privately. So another words, we were told nothing, got no fiscal relief, could have bought the antibiotics cheaper in Colombia.

Have only cruised ncl but if the passengers on this cruise are not compensated appropriately by ncl then I will probably cancel my next cruise. NCL was obviously in the wrong and needs to admit it. NCL apologize and give your “GUESTS” what they should receive. If they don’t then I have lost all confidence in NCL and will go to another cruise line or land resorts. Too bad because we are platinum but if I can not trust them to do right by the customer then I need to try something else. MSC has some really great deals lately.

And, again, you are not understanding what is being said. And I have worked with Captains, and seen their reliefs, for over 40 years, and do the same thing in my position. Everything you say is correct, but just as you said, he must meet with the offgoing Captain to get the report of everything that is going on. The poster, way back on page one of this thread, said the Captain did not know about the work to be performed beforehand, meaning before he walked on the ship. So, he expressed surprise to that poster (a passenger onboard) about the scope of work planned, since he did not expect that, and since this was his first tour on the ship had not been part of any previous planning correspondence. The Captain did not say, according to the poster who reported it, that he "didn't know what was going on", he said he didn't know "beforehand" what was going on.

And, if you believe that the Captain "knows everything he needs to know" before leaving the dock, you are seriously misinformed. There is no way that "everything" can be discussed in a few hours, let alone have "meetings with department heads" (doesn't happen). Things are discussed between Captains, written handover documents cover the salient points, and the Captain will get up to speed with the minutiae of ship's operation over the next few days.

These kinds of refits circulate among the cruise line’s officers months before the work is done. They are big deals. NCL crosses its fingers and hopes for the best. Deeply discounting the fares for a voyage which would be marred by the kinds of construction we are talking about would never be an option. They throw a 25% future cruise discount at the passengers and think that it will cover them, knowing very few people will choose the path of litigation. What they didn’t count on was the press coverage that this story is getting. I love it.

I'm really glad they published these photos and videos, since publicity is really the only way to prevent cruise lines from making the same decisions in the future. Hopefully, the passengers will receive compensation for the cruise they have taken, in addition to the 25% discount since some of them understandably will be done with NCL in the future. I hadn't known to avoid cruises before and after dry dock until reading this site.

It is called media sensationalism.

No, actually it’s called a cruise line’s worst nightmare and I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying it. To the poor passengers on this trip from hell - you have my full sympathy. However, know this - NCL will take a hit for this one in terms of reputation and I would suspect, future cancelled cruises.

No, actually it’s called a cruise line’s worst nightmare and I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying it. To the poor passengers on this trip from hell - you have my full sympathy. However, know this - NCL will take a hit for this one in terms of reputation and I would suspect, future cancelled cruises.
I so agree. I love the onboard experience on NCL and the great crew and have three cruises booked. However, to subject fare paying passengers to those conditions is wrong. It is reckless, careless, and extreme corporate greed. Someone at NCL knew well in advance what work was planned. NCL made a decision to withhold this information until the day of the cruise. So wrong. I will be looking elsewhere for future cruises.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

I am one of those ready to cancel my 14 night cruise this fall. I have been an NCL fan. Only cruised them. Platinum guest but now not sure if NCL would ensure my cruise experience in the future. NCL needs to step up to the plate and admit there horrible mistake and compensate the “GUESTS”. We are looking at other cruise lines for a similar cruise. A lot of good deals out there!

I so agree. I love the onboard experience on NCL and the great crew and have three cruises booked. However, to subject fare paying passengers to those conditions is wrong. It is reckless, careless, and extreme corporate greed. Someone at NCL knew well in advance what work was planned. NCL made a decision to withhold this information until the day of the cruise. So wrong. I will be looking elsewhere for future cruises.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

I don’t blame you one little bit! Enjoy your future cruises!

I am one of those ready to cancel my 14 night cruise this fall. I have been an NCL fan. Only cruised them. Platinum guest but now not sure if NCL would ensure my cruise experience in the future. NCL needs to step up to the plate and admit there horrible mistake and compensate the “GUESTS”. We are looking at other cruise lines for a similar cruise. A lot of good deals out there!

My husband and I wouldn’t dream of being loyal to a particular cruise line. It’s too restrictive and the so called perks are a drop in the corporate bucket. We look at the price, the itinerary and what the ship has to offer. That’s it. I hope you have a great time on whatever cruise you choose!

Regarding the offer for the Sun- if someone offered me a 25% discount to knowingly take this cruise I’d think they were out of their mind even attempting to market as a vacation.

100% agree. I would imagine very few of the onboard passengers would believ that to be an adequate discount! And imagine being held hostage for over TWO WEEKS!! Unable to leave even if you wanted to...