Las Caletas Puerto Vallarta excusion vs scuba excursion, FYI..

mogulman

Just came back from the Carnival Splendor 3/17 cruise. We went to Las Caletas on our 2nd day at Puerto Vallarta. Had an awesome time there. It's a beautiful location. We booked directly through Carnival about a month before the trip and it was $145 per person.

I talked to someone else on the ship after we did the excursion. They did the Carnival Scuba Excursion (not sure of the exact name) for $109. They ended up going to Las Caletas on our boat, doing Scuba at Las Caletas and then enjoying Las Caletas with the rest of us.

Not sure if this is some fluke because of weather or something, but if I had known, I definitely would have done Scuba and saved $35 per person.

Anyone know if this is the norm?

We were in PV mid March and did the Las Caletas excursion where a red tide situation was underway. Unsafe to be in the water. I assume it was clear when you arrived. We were unimpressed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in PV mid March and did the Las Caletas excursion where a red tide situation was underway. Unsafe to be in the water. I assume it was clear when you arrived. We were unimpressed.

Can you tell me more about why you were unimpressed? We're thinking about doing Las Caletas, but don't want to be stuck there all day if time would be better spend in PV

Can you tell me more about why you were unimpressed? We're thinking about doing Las Caletas, but don't want to be stuck there all day if time would be better spend in PV

As I said, the red tide situation made it unsafe to be in the water. It’s quite rustic. Lunch was excellent but the water situation was a real turn off for us from the start.

As I said, the red tide situation made it unsafe to be in the water. It’s quite rustic. Lunch was excellent but the water situation was a real turn off for us from the start.

Thank you. That's why I was looking for clarity. I wasn't sure if it was just the red tide or the overall experience.

It would really suck to be stuck there all day and not be able to go in the water.

I am having second thoughts. We wouldn't be doing the zip line or other water sport activities. It would just be to lounge on the beach or in the water. If it's not that special, maybe we should skip it.

I am having second thoughts. We wouldn't be doing the zip line or other water sport activities. It would just be to lounge on the beach or in the water. If it's not that special, maybe we should skip it.

In our opinion, Las Caletas is that special, so I wouldn't disregard it just yet. It is one of our personal favorites of all the excursions we've done over the years.

The 'Red Tide' situation described in this thread would indeed be a real turn-off for a beach centric day, but do understand that Red Tide is very rare there (we've never experienced it), and this is the first time I've ever heard of it being an issue there.

For us, the entire day was awesome, lunch was delicious, and beverages were included all day.

Truly a day in paradise!