Best time of year for Denali Tundra tour

cruzrbachoua

Wolfie11, thank you I couldn't have said it better! Also the past few cruises we have done so much on our own for which I am the main planner. Actually I am the planner for all our cruises from booking them, paying, monitoring price drops, researching ports and things to do and then planning all the tours/excursions and managing the contact for all personal tours and such. This one I was more than happy to turn that over to someone else and for once enjoy MY vacay a bit more. We are also celebrating 20 years and renewing our vows and splurging on a suite for this cruise along with the connoisseur tour just so I can feel a bit pampered and have someone else do the planning, clock watching and such. I am also the main picture taker so I felt I have lived our cruises through the cameras screen and I sometimes miss what is going on around me outside that view of the screen. So while I will still be taking photos on this trip it will not be my first priority and if all I have is a story to tell of the animals I saw and no pics..oh well so be it I will know I saw the wildlife...lol! While it is not all about the money, cause believe me we are spending a pretty penny on this trip I don't need more hassle on my vacay or to pay for something twice...

We are going to be in Denali from May 16-18 prior to a Holland America cruise on the Westerdam on May 20. Was kind of bummed a few days ago when I heard the Park was not really open until May 20, at least for tours to Mile marker 50 and beyond, like on the Tundra Wilderness Tour which has now been replaced for us by the shorter Natural History Tour. I hope we will still see some beautiful sights and lots of wildlife, but will make the most of what we get. Hope your tours in the Park are spectacular!

I look forward to your review! We will be on the Westerdam June 10!

I was on a HAL Denali Tour last June and saw lots of wildlife.

Passengers on the bus are the ones who spot the wildlife as the bus driver needs to be very careful in negotiating the narrow road.

/

Is the road just narrow or does it have drop offs?

I am not really afraid of heights but am always worried about "falling off"

I have been up Pikes Peak and Mt Washington and wasn't thrilled with either if them😬😬😬

Is the road just narrow or does it have drop offs?

I am not really afraid of heights but am always worried about "falling off"

I have been up Pikes Peak and Mt Washington and wasn't thrilled with either if them😬😬😬

I think the only scarey part of the drive is Polychrome Pass, about a 2 mile stretch. It terrifies me every time because you're on a dirt road with a VERY steep drop off and no guard rails. On the way into the park I sit on the passenger side of the bus, and on the way back I sit behind the driver.

There's video of the drive on youtube. Do a search for Polychrome Pass, denali. Although if you're afraid of heights, probably best not to watch.

I think the only scarey part of the drive is Polychrome Pass, about a 2 mile stretch. It terrifies me every time because you're on a dirt road with a VERY steep drop off and no guard rails. On the way into the park I sit on the passenger side of the bus, and on the way back I sit behind the driver.

There's video of the drive on youtube. Do a search for Polychrome Pass, denali. Although if you're afraid of heights, probably best not to watch.

Lol just afraid of falling over the side

Thanks for the tip.

I watched two different videos and I will heed your advice!!

Passenger side going in, driver's side going out. I'll put hubby next to the window when we get to that area.

Might have to take an anxiety pill!,

Edited by Ladyaruba
new comment

Here is an aerial photo I took June 2017 that shows the road snaking from lower right and continuing to the left. Not sure of the altitude.

The Tundra Wilderness tour is not an inadequate Princess tour. There is not much difference between the TWT and the shuttle to Eielson. The TWT turns around 7 miles from Eielson, and I heard that last year a couple of the TWTs were turning around at Eielson.

Actually last year there was a tour to Eielson. That must be the one you were referring to. No TWT's went to Eielson and from what I have heard for this year, they won't be operating the Eielson tours in 2018 (but we will have to wait and see for sure when the season starts).

There are actually a lot of drawbacks for someone on a cruise tour to switch:

1. You have to get a refund from Princess for the included TWT and pay out for your shuttle tickets, which can be a hassle.

2. You have to get yourself from your hotel to the WAC to catch the shuttle, which means walking or taking a later shuttle.

3. You have to deal with booking a shuttle. The early shuttles are usually full.

4. You have to plan for food. There’s no food in the park. You have to buy it beforehand to bring with you. Make sure you bring plenty of water as well.

For all this, you get to go 7 miles further into the park.

The TWT picks you up in front of your hotel, provides food and water, has video cameras for up close views of the wildlife, has narration (optional on the shuttle) and deposits you back at your hotel after a long day.

While I totally agree that all this is worth it to ditch the worthless Natural History tour, it is not IMO worth it to do so for the comparable TWT.

The points you mentioned are valid, but there are some great benefits to the shuttle vs. the tour bus. Most shuttle buses don't fill up. In fact every shuttle bus departs the WAC with at least 4 empty seats. Pretty much every TWT has every seat filled. With the shuttle bus, you can get out and walk/hike/spend more time at Eielson Visitor Center, refill water bottles and more. For me, the biggest advantage of the shuttle over the tour bus is that you can get off the bus and catch any other bus. I often do this when seeing wildlife. Tour and shuttle buses can only spend so much time at each wildlife stop. If I see bears and want to spend more time watching/photographing them, I just ask the driver to let me off when the next bus comes in the opposite direction and I get to see the bears for a longer time. Then I do the same in the opposite direction to continue on my original journey. Works very well 99% of the time.

The points you mentioned are valid, but there are some great benefits to the shuttle vs. the tour bus. Most shuttle buses don't fill up. In fact every shuttle bus departs the WAC with at least 4 empty seats. Pretty much every TWT has every seat filled. With the shuttle bus, you can get out and walk/hike/spend more time at Eielson Visitor Center, refill water bottles and more. For me, the biggest advantage of the shuttle over the tour bus is that you can get off the bus and catch any other bus. I often do this when seeing wildlife. Tour and shuttle buses can only spend so much time at each wildlife stop. If I see bears and want to spend more time watching/photographing them, I just ask the driver to let me off when the next bus comes in the opposite direction and I get to see the bears for a longer time. Then I do the same in the opposite direction to continue on my original journey. Works very well 99% of the time.

While yours are valid as well please note that since we are on a land tour and have other items planned for us back at the lodge we don't have the free time that you do to just get off and spend hours watching photographing wildlife. Plus never having done it before I would be worried when the next bus comes and getting back on time. I was simply looking for any help on when the best time would be do maximize my chances of seeing wildlife not trying to figure out which tour was better..as we have already decided that the tour provided by Princess is what we want to do. But hopefully this may have helped someone who has the time and wants to do it on their own.