Is Caymus WorthThe Price?

Nine RCL cruises and counting, Caymus wine on almost every wine list. We love our wine but whoa, the price. Is it worth it? Most we ever paid for a bottle on a cruise is $60 and that’s with the package discount. Maybe buy a bottle at home first to try? Not sure if it’s a sales gimmick but I’m intrigued.

They have a Caymus wine tasting on Harmony for $40. Not sure if they have it on other ships. I'm going to do the tasting in June. For $60, I prefer Silver Oak (Alexander Valley). Silver Oak Napa Valley will run you $100.00, same as Caymus Reserve.

They have a Caymus wine tasting on Harmony for $40. Not sure if they have it on other ships. I'm going to do the tasting in June. For $60, I prefer Silver Oak (Alexander Valley). Silver Oak Napa Valley will run you $100.00, same as Caymus Reserve.

I agree I will take Silver Oak over caymus any day , even perfer stags leap which is much cheaper over caymus.

The tasting was $50 on Anthem. I asked how much wine you get and was told 1.5 ounces. Not worth it to me.

It is worth it to us. This is our favorite wine and we budget for it. We buy as many bottles as our on-board credit will allow. We buy the Special Select which is about $210 on board. We have to special order that here in Waco, TX and it’s sent from our liquor store from their Houston store. We had quite a lot of on board credit last year and ordered 6 bottles. We got about 20% discount and had very, very good service from the beverage guys.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oddly, I've managed to save money on Caymus Special Selection on ships. Hanging out in Vintages and chatting with the guys there has gotten us some deals. One year on Oasis, they applied our C&A BOGO wine glass coupons to the bottle. Bottle holds 5 glasses. BOGO gets us two of those glasses free. And he threw the 5th in as a gift. So, the bottle cost us $80. That was a good day.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic wine, but I wouldn't want to pay $200 for it. Conundrum Red Blend, which is made at a different winery but got its start at Caymus and is still owned by them, is also a really excellent wine, and it's 1/10th of the cost. I'd rather have 10 bottles of that than 1 of the Special Selection. Unfortunately I've yet to see it show up on a RCCL ship, but hopefully that'll change since Vintages seems to be on a Caymus family kick these days.

Agreed, Silver Oak is great for the price. And its only $1 more than the drink package limit (or at least it was in October....), totally worth it.

Caymus is fabulous, but if it's a lot more expensive on the ship than I would pay at a liquor store or in an onshore restaurant, I drink Conundrum. Same family of wines (winemaker got his start at Caymus) which I discovered on an RCCL sailing. But if this sailing is a special trip or if the one dinner is a special event, or if you have lots of onboard credit, splurge. It's a good wine and only you can determine if it's affordable and/or worth the splurge.

Yes fabulous!

I always scoffed at wine snobs that any wine was worth more than my super markets brand of $3 wine. But we used our BOGO coupon in Vintages a couple years ago on Caymus Cab and this old dog learned a new trick! It does make a difference! Who knew?

But I wouldn't pay the price for a bottle. We will just use our freeby on board for the $15 glasses. Be sure to take some good chocolate to pair with the Cab...truly tasty!

Great explaination and so true.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

That got a lot of relieved faces on the waiters when would I would teach a wine etiquette class in one of my customer's restaurants. They were always worried that wine would be too complicated for them.

I would tell them..."Hey...If your customer swears by White Zinfandel...then that is the wine that makes them happy". It's all personal choice and what the customer likes that is important.

I love Conundrum so that’s good to know. I’ve come close to buying a bottle at my local shop but can’t justify the price, guess I’m just curious. Will have to become friends with Vintages bartender on our next cruise!

Spent 12 years working for a distributor as a wine rep to restaurants.

We used to quote the "golden rule of wine": The best wine is the wine you like the best. ;)

BFF worked in the liquor (beer & wine) for years and that's his thought also. DW worked in the car business for 20 years and when asked by people if she "thought they got a good deal?" The answer was always, "do you think you got a good deal?"

We enjoy Caymus, Opus One, and Silver Oak. In fact all are a little more than than an hour from us. Would I pay $60? Yes I would. Wish I could get Opus One for that price at the winery. The last time we cruised with a bottle of Opus One we had to share with the Sommelier.

BFF worked in the liquor (beer & wine) for years and that's his thought also. DW worked in the car business for 20 years and when asked by people if she "thought they got a good deal?" The answer was always, "do you think you got a good deal?"

We enjoy Caymus, Opus One, and Silver Oak. In fact all are a little more than than an hour from us. Would I pay $60? Yes I would. Wish I could get Opus One for that price at the winery. The last time we cruised with a bottle of Opus One we had to share with the Sommelier.

Indeed...all a matter of how you see it....and what you like. :) No wrong or right there. Cheers! :wine-glass::wine-glass: